I am not a Fish

So there was a yoga studio near this tap house I clean that I have been eyeballing for a while and today the owner was actually in to talk windows. First thing she asked was if I work for Fish Window Cleaning and I said no, why? The last people to clean her place was Fish Window Cleaning and they such a bad job on the last couple of cleans that they had to come back for touch ups that they have missed. She even said that they asked her if the windows looked ok even when the had some spots on them.
So long story short, she had me do a trial run, nocked the windows out of the park, and she even made a pumpkin coffee (they also have a coffee shop inside). I seen mention of Fish Window Cleaning on here but man what she told me was just bad business

3 Likes

I’m definitely not a fan!!! I feel there one sided business model is a joke.

Haha dude I have a hilarious story that is about fish. So I was doing windows for this lady for about a year at a storefront in the main shopping plaza in town and she booted me because fish offered to do them for 25 cheaper monthly (cheap people irritate me) I don’t budge on my price. WELL… they came and did her windows and they looked horrible! Rainbow streaks all over the windows from an obvious failed technique and they left all the water on the sides and bottom of the windows. She called me the next day basically screaming, help me! I told her, shouldn’t have gone “fishing” for cheap window cleaners, sorry your slot was filled and I’m not currently taking new storefronts :joy: go ahead, use fish I don’t care but don’t call me when they screw your stuff up.

6 Likes

Not every Fish location is run the same. I personally know a few owners, they run a high quality ship.

4 Likes

Second that. There are a few franchises in dfw. Met the owner of one in the local supply shop. Nice guy and they all price quite well, even a bit high in the storefront area.

Actually met one of the techs today as we were doing side by side restaurant. Nice dude.

2 Likes

Sorry if I did drag the name thru the mud seeing there’s some good ones out on the window cleaning world. But I thought they were a franchise? Shouldn’t they all be the same standard?

That’s the nature of a franchise. You buy into a system. You get trained in that system. Some take everything on board and run a tight professional ship and some? Well, don’t …

3 Likes

It’s funny how stuff correlates though. Seems the operators who run a tight ship don’t go down the lowball road. Those who undercut prices seem to have a hard time keeping quality up to spec. Makes you wonder…

In order to work under a franchise name don’t you have to keep a certain kind of standard of work or other wise lose the right to work under the name? I would if someone operated under my name and done bad work

They can have low prices. Like you said if they are undercutting peoples just to get work, they do seem to go under quick.

1 Like

You don’t eat at a lot of franchised restaurants?

2 Likes

I try not to, too many windows while I eat

This thread makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Thanks guys.

5 Likes

It’s tough when you keep taking it on the chin!
(Always getting blind sided)

I got you homie! :wink:

Come over and give them a take over.

Kinda like comparing McDonalds to Five Guys Hamburger. Can’t say one is better than the other because both serve a QUALITY burger for the price they charge. Both have satisfied customers with long lines. I can’t knock McDonalds business model because they are extremely successful. That being said I prefer Five Guys but they charge more a lot more.

2 Likes

Yes, there is a sandwich franchise by my house that we eat at. Their windows are drop dead gorgeous. I asked who did them, they said the F word, and said they are here every Wednesday. I would charge a C-Note for this. Bet they don’t. Saw a local pic of them doing a three story glass front venue. I guesstimated 10 grand. Three stories of scaffolds, three guys on the scaffolds. Wowser. So they’re here to stay, established, and in the field at every turn. Somebody has worked hard. Am super impressed, but know the workers make spit. I don’t pay a franchise fee. I’m looking for the niche that wants beautiful work, one guy, and will pay through the nose for my beautiful results. The search continues.

1 Like

You are looking for wealthy people who VALUE the owner and not minimum wage employees and the risks that come to the homeowners, with it.

So where do the people with all the money, live, in your area? There is where you will find your target audience.

We have ALL the big food franchises right by our house. They are ALL terrible…they just don’t seem to care. We go out of town, or across town, great food and tight ships. It comes down to owners and managers. So it goes with any franchise. But why should I give 8% for their “proven” system when one can digitize any and all things today? They have to beat doors just like I do. Low ball? I refuse not to put out quality.

1 Like

When you buy a franchise, you are buying a system and support. A business in a box, for an investor. It’s ready to go, when you buy it.

When we start our own business, we have to figure all that out. And most all of us that started solo, aren’t the type that has money to INVEST. Lots of solo guys disappear every year, because they don’t have a “system” that helps them market, and run their business.

I don’t hold any grudges with either type. Once you move beyond being solo, you don’t have 100% control over quality and production. It is what it is. All I can do is promote my business and it’s USP. I’ll take my profits and keep investing into more income streams.

Pardon me while I step away from the franchise hatin’ thread.

3 Likes