I have to give a speech to a local BOMA Chapter

I’ve been invited to give a speech to a local BOMA chapter about the I-14 safety standard. I’m excited about networking oppurtunites, of course, and in and of itself, this casts my company as the local safety leader. But, mainly, this is an educational oppurtunity for these building owners and managers. Any thoughts or suggestions as I prepare? If you had their ear, what would you say about the I-14? Thanks!

I know it was a long time ago but, how did it go?

Very well. We were asked to consult a few times afterwards, but it didn’t result in much real work. Helped build our brand and credentials, at least. A lotta questions from attendees right after the presentation, and for the week following. However, most of them realized its always cheaper to just keep doing what they’ve done before (using stink pipes as anchors, no tie backs, etc etc). It really takes all the companies in town to get on the same page about safety standards to make an impact with building owners (or a wrongful death lawsuit does it sometimes. Seriously).

I’d do it again if asked.

Steve
You are so right… I feel sometimes it is close to lazyness from everyone… Lazyness to take ownership and lazyness to think outside the box on how can everyone make things diffrent, and hence forth safer…
It’s always easyer to do things the way they always have been done.
Keep up! It is with education, persistence and consistency that we will overcome death and accidents.
Alain