I think I under bid this job at 70 dollars. What do yall think

Im doing all windows inside and out that you can see. The good thing is it is in walking distance of my house. Im afraid I bid to low on it.

Yeah it looks like you might have but if you can do it in a reasonable time its a nice job since its close. I would probably be at $125.00 But i do mostly residential.

1 Like

I’d be at $160-200 depending upon whether or not the bottom of the top window frame was above or below that roof part.

How many windows?

It is also one of my very first jobs. I dont know what I was thinking.

Oh gosh. It was only my second bid other than a 25 dollar store front. How shoud I handle this?

Don’t fret about it. $70 isn’t really a painful price considering you’re brand new and are gaining experience both in the work involved and learning to bid correctly. Welcome to school, brother.
You won’t really know the labor to dollar factor until you actually do it yourself - then it will stick with you going forward. Better than if someone handed you the price and you didn’t understand how they came up with it. Do a good job and plan for a rate hike when the time calls for it.

9 Likes

You will get marketing visibility so it will pay off eventually. Staff or customers might see you on the job, ask for your card for their windows and then that visibility pays off!

3 Likes

@Jonathan31 re-read this response it is great! I couldn’t have said it better!

Let us know how it all works out.

2 Likes

From the picture, I think you’re alright bro. Once you get better you should be able to knock it out in about an hour. $70 an hour, I’d take that all day. Good job, keep it up and you’ll be fine.

4 Likes

yeah we would at minimum be $105 though it might be more once I look at it in person if there are difficulties in accessing any of the windows and that’s for a monthly price

I think you are overthinking pretty much everything. There is a learning curve with this, as most things. Don’t worry so much about how much you are earning now. Give it a few months and as you improve your technique and speed, your pricing and approach to things will improve as well.

Don’t forget that many here are giving pricing ideas based on established routes/businesses. When most are starting out, we took jobs for less than we would now simply because we had bills to pay. You will do the same. Don’t over analyze every step on the way. Jump in and get it done. The rest will come.

10 Likes

Thanks man. So in 6 months or so would it be unreasonable to up my price with this store to 100-110? Is a price jump like that normal in the business?

Within 6 months of cleaning glass constantly you’ll be able to do that job very quickly. Also when you get better with a pole you won’t need that ladder to do that job, don’t worry about it Jonathan.

Just have a smile on your face and go make that customer very happy with your work!

4 Likes

Thanks man. That is very encouraging.

1 Like

Let us know how it goes.

1 Like

I wouldn’t encourage you to price low just because you need money at the beginning because the problems it will cause in the future.

If you’re not making a livable hourly wage it’s going to be because of your pricing, taking low jobs will contribute to that.

It will really be beneficial to try to get a price per pane or generate a formula that is consistent and you don’t need to constantly doubt yourself. You win some and lose some, this is true but don’t set yourself up for that loss if you don’t need to.

5 Likes

I wasn’t trying to bid low to get the job I just wasn’t thinking. Would it be reasonable to eventually raise the price up to somethinf like 110?

I don’t think you bid it low considering your experience and it’s only your second job. Btw that’s not a big job and once you gain experience you’ll understand. Be happy that you got it, you’re building a foundation still. I’ve always had the mindset that if you’re not working hard then you didn’t earn it. Go out there and earn it, you’ll feel good afterwards. I still do jobs that I under bid from day one, they’re some of the most loyal customers I got. You’re gonna go through a lot more than this so stay positive and have fun.

No. That’s how you loose customers, maybe go up 2 or $5 every other year.