In Need of WFP Expertise – Struggling with Stubborn Window Spots

Hey fellow window washers,

I’ve recently transitioned to Water Fed Pole (WFP) work and have been thrilled with the results on newer, smaller buildings. It’s proven to be a huge time-saver, and the quality of the work surpasses that of traditional methods.

However, I’ve hit a stumbling block with a four-story building that hasn’t seen a window cleaner in what looks like ages. Despite my best efforts with the WFP, the results have been far from satisfactory.

I’ve cleaned some windows multiple times and achieved somewhat acceptable results, but the process is time-consuming. I’m left wondering if there’s a faster, more efficient way to get these windows sparkling, or if I’m missing a crucial trick.

For this job, I’m armed with the XERO Pure MAX and the XERO Destroyer Water Fed Pole. Any advice on how to better utilize these tools, or if there are other techniques or equipment I should consider, would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve included some pictures of the problematic windows. Your insights on what might be going wrong and how to improve would be invaluable.

Thank you in advance for sharing your expertise and experiences. Wishing everyone a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

I had a similar issue on a commercial job. I wfp’d it but it looked similar to this.

In the end I ended up trad poling and it came out much better. Try a couple windows with a scrubber and squeegee and see if it comes out better.

The windows I had were greasey or had some sort of oil on them idk, maybe yours too.

That bottom one looks clean how did that one come out so well?

Brick buildings are usually a pain…lotsa weird run-off residues (mortar/rusty steel casings) on old dirty glass it bakes in there pretty good over the years. Those mullions look like they hold alot of crud too, are they true divide, wood or metal? Maybe more rinsing. Looks kinda like oxidation run off (frames/mullions?). Maybe hit em with some steel wool then a real heavy rinse from the top>down & let em drip xtra long?? Worst case trad it or ladder it…sometimes waterfed just isn’t the tool.

You didn’t hit a stumbling block. You came across a job with ancient windows that Haven’t been cleaned in centuries. With more than likely staining issues from run off , metal frames , and so on. That more than likely needs restoration work done on them.they neglected the windows , and now it’s going to cost them $$$$ This isn’t a regular cleaning, a strip washer/squeegee, or WFP will not get the staining off, nor should it have been priced as a regular cleaning unless the customer is ok with just a price to get the dirt off.
No stumbling block Carry on with your WFP , and learn the difference between restoration and cleaning

1 Like

… and stay away from commercial lol

1 Like

using hoghair or nylon brush? looks like nylon