Is there a video on how and why dog earing is important?

Some reason I can only find videos SHOWING a dog ear, which is great, but I want to know if there are other styles of dog earing and how to do it; perhaps someone could make a video with a fresh channel being dog earred correctly. I do know that it puts a little more pressure on the corners which reduces excess water, but beyond that I’m an ignorant Irene

Use the search feature and you should find a few threads on here relating to dog earring.

2 Likes

there is no “correct way” there are varying methods and opinions. some of those opinions include that the best dog ear is no dog ear. whether dog earing is important is also opinion.
there are TONS of videos on you tube you just need to vary your search words some.
i assume you have mastered a standard channel and can achieve no detail results if you are careful.
and that you are aware that dogearing can cause other issues like lines at the tip.

1 Like

Thinking dog says it to help get into the edges and corners better. However, you can get away with just using a steep angle along the sides while fanning. See also “dive bombing”

5 Likes

There is no such thing as correct or incorrect dog earing. The dog ear that has been around from the first time a window cleaner dropped his Ettore brass and bent in the end of his channel is best implemented by the ‘revolutionary’ Unger S channel. Investment in R&D was eye-watering (they had to buy a vice and employ an after school boy looking for work experience)… :-). It was discovered that bending in the tips added support and a firming of the squeegee rubber at the ends and with accuracy allowed detailing lines to be almost eliminated at the frames. This basic idea was taken a step further by Chris Dawber (Christopher Dawber on YouTube) he added a ‘split’ and by forcing a sliver of channel closer to the blade edge improved the concept even further. Added to that he cut, or ground the end of the channel so that it was angled back allowing it to clear deeper frames and continue that lack of detailing around the complete frame. Bob Hatt (PolznBladz) implemented it differently. He sliced a 45° angle at Channel ends and then did quite a long (an inch+) gentle bend in. I personally did a combination of both of these techniques. Bob’s theory is expressed in the Liquidator clips. Sadly his original method was on his early channel and all those clips are lost ‘in the ether somewhere’.

Now, after that long winded intro depending on the way you prefer to work you may have absolutely no need to dog ear your channel. If you like the idea then by all means have a play with some old channels. The positive is that detailing is minimised and in many instances, eliminated and your wife will be laundering a lot less cloths. Be prepared however for the ends of your rubber to wear out a little quicker.

7 Likes

I’ve heard about this before. Some say it was the best squeegee they ever used. You don’t have any pictures?

1 Like

Afraid not Jonathon but I pretty sure one of the guys on here still uses his version of Bob’s design…

1 Like

Close?

2 Likes

Looks close to the Liquidator.
Have a little bending forward against the rubber?
Looks more 30 degree then 40.

It’s not important

3 Likes

[quote=“JonathanB, post:9, topic:41886, full:true”] Have a little bending forward against the rubber?Looks more 30 degree then 40.
[/quote]

Yes it’s dog eared forward a tad. I prefer the 30* over 45* because the rubber sits better in the channel at 30*. I use Ettore clips. I was having problems squeegeeing. It didn’t perform like it use to. Corners and edges great but not good out in the middle of the glass. Anyway 30* is just right.

1 Like

This guy explains some of the reasons I was having difficulty with my 45* angle squeegee, same angle as the liquidator.

I agree.

3 Likes

Can I agree while still using a dog-eared squeegee on a daily basis?

3 Likes

Yes.

1 Like

Then I agree.

2 Likes

Dog eating?

Concise dog eating guide for Western civilizations:
Hot dogs = ok
Puppy dogs = no no

3 Likes

At least not without mustard.

2 Likes