Is window cleaning a pain in the neck?

Most of us just power through it like men

6 Likes

You are reading too fast and skipping important stuff buddy. Slow down. The previous guy said that their were ā€˜toolsā€™ that he thought minimize physical and health. I asked for any example. Which I am sure he will give shortly.

You quipped that ā€˜being a desk jockey is the way to goā€™ when some desk jockeys also suffer from risks such as WMSD.

You find it laughable because no tools ā€˜really workā€™ .

If you allowed the time for Jhans to respond. To his response, I would of asked, ā€œhow do you know it works?ā€ - point being this research will give measurable data and can be used to prove or disprove a safety item works :slight_smile:

LOL again

Define Us please. wink wink

Imagine this. If I can look into your future and tell you that something you do regularly is going to degrade your quality of life ( for argument sake - this is just hypothetical ) and that all you needed to do was to make one small change that was no big deal today but would minimize or take out that problem later down the line. Would you man up and grind through it, or take the advice.
The research data would provide guidance. People are told not to jump off cliffs. But they do :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s because Jumping off a cliff solves a problem.

1 Like

Just seen your PS addition to your post. I can tell by your response you have missed the idea of the research all together. Would it help if I explained the technology to you and how it works?

Jumping off the cliff solves no problem.

Sure. Do they know definitively that the workers will be pain free 30 or 40 years from now or is it just a theory? Iā€™ve seen lots of theories.

Thatā€™s your opinion. You missed my point

This conversation is priceless

3 Likes

He removed his post while I was reading it. Good stuff. Put it back up!

1 Like

LOL sorry pressed delete when I tried to edit, still getting use to where everything is in this forumā€¦ what I deleted by mistake followsā€¦

Over the years I have heard window cleaners succumb to work related issues and where it might be argued that any repetitive movement in any industry can throw up similar issues, our concern is the industry we are in.

Injuries range from wrist problems through the use of a squeegee, to shoulder pains through water fed pole use.

How do you know products on the market designed to reduce risk of work related injuries are doing what they say they claim? How do you know the posture and movement taught to you from whichever industry peer is actually helping?

Well now it can be measured.

This new technology is more powerful than any classroom manual handling training program, for our industry, itā€™s way more than that!

Imagine real time movement captured in the workplace, where you are able to see your own movement profile and understand how safely you are moving.

Imagine tiny instruments precisely measuring how people bend, twist and step, including accelerometers, magnetometers and gyroscopes.

Imagine these components, paired with patented algorithms, allowing you to accurately measure movement at a variety of different places on the human body with muscle activity sensors measuring the activity of muscles near the surface of the skin with adhesive electrodes.

Imagine wearable sensors, software and sophisticated algorithms that objectively measure movement and muscle activation at 200 frames per second. Anywhere.

Then, imagine easy understanding and consumption of the data output to a smartphone or iPad. At its simplest form resembling a heat map, green is good posture and movement and red is bad. Move and watch in real time until you get it right ā€“ GO GREEN!

Basically, each job we do can be measured, so that a better way or working can be achieved minimising work place injuries. This information is very valuable to business owners that have staff or sole window cleaners that want to look after their health more.

My intention is not to convert the ignorant, merely to appeal to the open minded - oh and tell you what cool innovated tech it is:)

With or without doing anything different? That is the question.

@WindowCleaningMag

One practical point I remember with wfp was to hold shaft hand (not base hand) underneath, not over the top, so that one is utilizing biceps (power muscle) as opposed to traps (control muscle). Using control muscles to do power work will lead to faster fatigue and repetitive motion injuries.

As far as traditional, holding squeegee with fingertips, not deathgrip and using a feather touch, not bearing down does wonders.

Is this the type of thing you are talking about?

You might find this interesting. I put the same post up in another forum in the UK with similar number of members. Here are some of the responses ( in real time) to my request and fielding of personal stories relating to work injury or RSI whilst window cleaning.
Paul writes:
Yes have pain in my neck at front just under and around collar bone, hurts when l breathe in sharply like when coughing.
Had this around 3-4 years, initially thought it was due to smoking but quit 2 years ago and since seen a doc but he tells me itā€™s RSI from working with my head back.
The neck muscle comes from by the ear then goes down the front of neck and ties in to behind the collar bone, hurts all the time at the base. Not massively painful but present if you get me.

MC says:
Iā€™m nearly 57 and have been window cleaning 41 years, wfp for the last ten.
I work with a trolley as it best suits my work. This means moving barrels of water from my house to my vehicle and from vehicle to the trolley.
Iā€™ve found one sure-fire way to cause myself injury, either to my back or wrist and arms is to move them too quickly off the floor or in and out of the back of my car etc. Therefore, I use a sack truck to move full barrels to my car and never walk anywhere carrying them. I never snatch them up when full, just brace myself and lift them carefully in and out and onto the trolley.

As my trolley is in constant use Iā€™ve spent some time modifying it to make it as light as I can. It is now only marginally heavier that the PF Nano and is easy to get in and out of my car with only one hand if need be.

The bigger and heavier the pole you use the more inertia it has. Early on I injured my wrists and arms quite a bit due to this. So again, when moving around with pole in hand, Iā€™ve learned not to make sudden moves or changes in direction of movement. I try to make my movements flow smoothly and keep my equipment as light as possible.

At this point in time Iā€™m finding it enjoyable and reasonably pain free. My only long term issues come from wear n tear due to 30 years of ladder use and one act of poor judgment at work on my part, that resulted in a badly broken ankle 17 years ago.

So, I am saying that the way these two guys work can be measured now, and changes made to improve their exposure to things like RSI - It is guidance.

Ive seen the wfp harness popular in Europe. Does it make a discernible difference?

1 Like

The actual window cleaner element on the forum? Lol

Sorry Iā€™m skimming again. I only read the punch lines anymore

2 Likes

Hey yes that would be the WASPAK, I think we did a film on it somewhere. WASPAK make valid claims on the research they did with the tools available to them. The latest research could be used to test the WASPAK and strengthen their claims at best or get them to tweak the design at worse.
I have worn it, itā€™s a very bizarre feeling but really does take all the weight of the water fed pole. Would you like me to find the video?

Yes exactly, so this can now be measured in real time and the data can tell you if your movements will be bad for your health or good for your health :slight_smile: