Ladder in street

I have to put the ladder in the street to do these windows. Do you know what safety measures need to be taken? High viz vest for the guy footing the ladder and cones with caution tape?

Funny story about this job I’ll be sharing later…thanks for your help guys.

1 Like

If the police are bored you might be able to get them to cone the lane and park a car with the lights on

3 Likes

All the above plus if on a public street you will need a permit from the city to block off the street.

Check with your local municipality for more information.

4 Likes

Yes, obstruction permit will be required to block any lane full or partial. Also require type 2 or 3 barricades. City department will let you know.

3 Likes

Oh crap i don’t think i can accomplish all that by tomorrow and they need this done before Saturday. I started today but it was so windy i felt uncomfortable with the ladder by myself. It gave me the chance though to have a closer look and it seems too tight for my extension ladder. Would you guys agree?

I do have a stack ladder but no experience using it. Also not sure i could get the middle with it.

Yes you will need to ladder from Street. If you need to reach that 4th floor stack ladder will not get you there, that will likely be a 40 foot ladder will come towards the bottom of that 4th floor window, recommend a stand-up.

Call city permit is quick

3 Likes

Just the lower windows up to the arch, correct? Do you have someone that can foot the ladder correctly Daniel?

Check with the city, caution tape and hi-vis vest. But most importantly use your truck as a crash barrier behind where you’re working. (If you’re not using police for traffic control, that is) We generally use police, and it is surprisingly reasonable, even including a cruiser.

4 Likes

Looks like a job for a chair guy to me. No?

1 Like

Oh yes I’m dumb for not mentioning… Just up to the arch. The upper two rows aren’t being done.

1 Like

ok i’ll say it…
wfp
:slight_smile:
:cactus:27

6 Likes

That’s literally all I’ve been thinking all morning…“i gotta make enough this year to buy a wfp. I need a wfp. Why don’t i have a wfp? Why why whyyyyyyyyyy?”

Oh and that was alternating with, “God i suck with this 30’ pole. How do people use this thing?!”

And please don’t say, “practice.” That might just push me over the edge today. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Do you know anyone in the area that has a wfp that will give you a dig out to get it done asap??

2 Likes

Sadly no. My only window cleaner friend here doesn’t even use ladders… And his squeegee is from home depot. He told me about how once someone gave him this squeegee that swiveled. He lost it a few years ago but wishes he could find one of those somewhere. He makes a living somehow lol

4 Likes

Alright i wont say it ;), But you have used a pole for store front correct? okay then you know the movement and angle to attack the glass , so take your time and apply those techniques higher up. If that your only option at this moment. I believe you can do it, just be methodical with your work.

Half the time window cleaning is over coming obstacles.

You still my half to block off traffic so call the city to get that ball rolling.

by the way if you have a good set of standoffs and leg levelers you can set it on the frame of the window in the middle. Just make sure your guy can foot the ladder.

Good luck Daniel let us know how it goes.

2 Likes

Easy trad pole job.

1 Like

Won’t have roof anchors, guaranteed.

2 Likes

Okay @WVWindowWashing i just read your other post. What hasn’t been finished, whats left to be done that the other company did not do?

How dirty are the windows? Is it done regularly? You should be able to easily pole it with washer and squeegee. I’m not meaning to insult you but it’s an easy pole job if your use to using a pole. I only say it that way to give you the confidence that you can do it. If it’s easy for me then you should be able to take your time and get it done.

Use 2 poles. 1 to wet the glass and the other with your squeegee. Use glass gleam as it stays wetter longer and it tends to be easier with straight poles. When you wet the glass after you scrub the glass the swipe the top edge from left to right with the ends of the washer. This will wipe excess water off of the frame above the their window and help prevent runs. Then when you squeegee start but cutting in the top. Run your squeegee across the top frame where it meets the glass and wedge the water away from the top frame. So your just essentially dive bombing the top of the glass only horizontally and jot vertically. This will clear the top frame of excess water and give you a dry area at the top of the glass. Then start to the left at the top of the glass with your squeegee with the squeegee on the wet area of the glass and the right corner or tip of the squeegee in the dry area. Swipe to the right to the side frame and pull straight down all the way to the bottom frame. Repeat this until you can finish the pane with one straight pull. Start with your squeegee in the dry area and feather the glass and then do a straight pull. That’s it. Repeat for each Pane and your done! I like to wipe the bottom frames with my strip washer after I finish each row of panes. This gives a clean look and it helps prevent runs down in to the windows below after you finish them.

Sorry for the lengthy comment. I just wanted to help. I don’t know what your experience is so I just assumed you have little with using a pole. I hope it helps. If the glass is really dirty and needs to be steel wooled just get some 0000 steel wool and unroll it and lay it over your strip washer and scrub the glass with it and it should come clean.

6 Likes