Large Commercial Bid Request

Hi All,

I had an interesting request come through my website today. It’s a local college but the request is coming from a 3rd party facility management company. The inventoried all the buildings on the campus and categorized windows by quantity and size. They are asking for a bid per square footage of clean, but I don’t think that’s very common. They are also in a big rush to get the estimate, which sounds like they would be fun to deal with!

I’m leaning towards replying back to them that quoting that way is not accurate (There are some windows that would need a lift, some that wouldn’t etc.) and asking to provide a price per building which would be more accurate.

They sent a few sample pics but there are like 30-40 buildings on campus with about 7500 windows that they’ve inventoried.

Questions:

1. Would you ever bid by window square foot?

2. I’m in a high COL area so I’m thinking $4-6 per window pricing + lift. Am I in the ballpark?

3. How would you clean that set of windows in front of the trees? Just shimmy in front with a WFP? Climb the tree?

I’m attaching a few photos to give you an idea of the buildings.

Thanks!

I have never bid by SqFt. $4-$6 for outside only sounds good. I would bid it at $2.50/ pane first floor, $3.50 for second floor and $5 for third. Getting on the roof is more, working around trees is more. Since it’s only 3 stories I would use a WFP rather than a lift.

2 Likes

Personally, bidding per window don’t really work for commercial work…too many variables to account for.

I do it per man day, basically how long it will take with however many men that are going to be working it.

Most schools give out contracts to janitorial outfits, they never give ONLY window cleaning out cuz it falls under janitorial maintenance. Thats why they want numbers yesterday because they probably are doing it last minute and now are under the gun to get the lowest possible price to maximize their profit…which is the kicker because they NEVER know what the hell they’re doing EVER.

Do your homework on them before you get in bed with them because some of them have issues paying when its time to pay. You’ll need to show why you are the obvious choice NOT the cheapest. If they know what they are doing, they WILL pick you if YOU know what you are doing. Otherwise? Walk. Have them pay you upon completion of each building, or each number of buildings.

That way, you won’t be out much if they decide to stiff you. You’re going to be there a while, so its going to be the only income for a minute you gotta make sure they pay up.

Don’t forget to ask for parking passes. Those will add up and best believe campus police will fine you too.

Your building 619, unless the grassed area runs just at about 30 feet from the building before you get to level ground, I highly doubt you’ll get a boom in there and don’t forget its a high visibility/high risk job because of the kids that’ll be around (assuming its not while they’re on break?).

Yes, waterfed is the way to go on those buildings and you can also stipulate that reasonable access to the building needs to be provided or windows with no access will be skipped.

They need to trim those trees.

Wow, I just noticed this was 9 months old or longer…sorry for the late advice, hopefully it will help others in the future.

4 Likes

I’m curious to know how this story turned out…

I requested a site visit to quote by building instead of by window. They replied and said the University was cancelling the window portion of the contract but would reach back out for a bid at a later date. Haven’t hear back since then.

1 Like

Appreciate the write up! I replied back then asking to do a quote per building instead of by window and they got back saying the window cleaning portions was left off the bid and they’d reach out at a later date. Haven’t heard back.

Thanks again for the great info though!

1 Like