Layflat hose

I received an e-mail off an office of public works today to notify me that they were seeking a supplier of a number of layflat hoses over th coming months.

i have never traded in machinery or machinery tools and don’t know why they would think i would be interested, perhaps they think window cleaners are familiar with these hoses lol.

Any how if i was to supply them with a few of these hoses i could make a few spare bob so i am posting today asking does anyone know anything about them?, ever worked with them?..know any suppliers etc???

the specifications of the hoses they are looking for are listed below in a passage from an attachment enclosed in the e-mail…

so if anyone has any ideas i would appreciate it…they seemed quite desperate to source these so i might have a chance in supplying them despite my lack of knowledge in the field of layflat hoses!!!then again if they are finding it hard to locate a supplier i mightn’t be so lucky either.

i would have to apply for the job through tender

Heres the spec that was enclosed:

Invitation to Tender
The Office of Public Works invites tenders for the supply Layflat Hose, in three lots,
as outlined below:

• Lot 1: DN200 (8”) – 150m required

• Lot 2: DN300 (12”) – 150m required

• Lot 3: DN400 (16”) - 100m required

Prices may be submitted for one or more of the following (see Financial Tender Form at Appendix 2):

• A - Lot 1,

• B - Lot 2,

• C - Lot 3,

• D - Lots 1, 2 & 3 combined

B. Specification for Layflat Hose

1. DN200
    • The Hose shall have a minimum pressure rating of 8 bar.

• The Hose shall be of robust construction and shall be suitable for use with drainage water.

• The Layflat hose shall be supplied in 10m long sections and shall be fitted with a quick release coupling system (Bauer or similar) at each end to allow the hose to be connected to other hoses, pumps etc. The layflat hose will be lightweight enough to be handled without the need for lifting equipment. The quick release coupling shall be operated manually.

• A rack or storage box shall be supplied for storing/transporting the lengths of hose. The rack/storage box shall be suitable for handling by a forklift. The rack/storage box shall be fabricated from mild steel and shall be hot dip galvanised. The rack of storage box shall be supplied with certified lifting points.

• The layflat hose shall be manufactured in accordance with relevant National and European legislation.

1. DN300
    • The Hose shall have a minimum pressure rating of 8 bar.

~ The Hose shall be of robust construction and shall be suitable for use with drainage water.

• The Layflat hose shall be supplied in 10m long sections and shall be fitted with a quick release coupling system (Bauer or similar) at each end to allow the hose to be connected to other hoses, pumps etc. The layflat hose will be lightweight enough to be handled without the need for lifting equipment. The quick release coupling shall be operated manually.

• A rack or storage box shall be supplied for storing/transporting the hose. The rack/storage box shall be suitable for handling by a forklift. The rack/storage box shall be fabricated from mild steel and shall be hot dip galvanised. The rack of storage box shall be supplied with certified lifting points.

• The layflat hose shall be manufactured in accordance with relevant National and European legislation.

1. DN400

• The Hose shall have a minimum pressure rating of 2 bar.

• The Hose shall be of robust construction and shall be suitable for use with drainage water.

• A rack or storage box shall be supplied for storing/transporting the lengths of hose. The rack/storage box shall be suitable for handling by a forklift. The rack/storage box shall be fabricated from mild steel and shall be hot dip galvanised. The rack of storage box shall be supplied with certified lifting points.

1. Delivery:
    To be delivered to an OPW depot in Dublin or OPW, Trim, Co. Meath by 12th December, 2008.

A few have tried them in the UK for wfp use. When they are full of water they don’t roll up again into their incased plastic reel. Only good for space saving, oh - & they rip easier as well.

okay, these guys aren’t using them for any type of window cleaning though.
they just thought i could help them source some and sell or supply them with some…

Yeah, why not - who knows you may be the “hose guy” worth a billion in 5 years!

Ha, i’ll see what i can do:D

I like the Chevrolet Rob - is that yours?

Nah it’s not mine…i wish…

Found it online along with a few other similar pics.

So might “change my car” every week.

so watch out

Tell you what, if i make it big with the hoses that’s the first thing I’ll buy…

I just checked your profile Rob - didn’t remember you were Irish - where you from?

Just been over those hoses again - they look like the firefighters hoses & construction effluent - couplings are bloody expensive.

They mentioned when i made a further inquiry that, “the layflat hose would be connected to Tractor mounted water pump”

All together there is 400m of hose reqd…they want the hose in sections of 10m with couplings attached to either end of each 10m section…

That equates to 80 couplings of three different sizes.
including 16" coupling…which is a pretty big coupling.

When you say expensive what figure are you thinking of per coupling?
i have never had any dealing with this type of fitting.

Ye From Ireland, live just outside Dublin…do most work in south Dublin.

You be in my neck of the woods much?

The couplings are either the light alloy or brass from what I remember. I don’t think you’ll get much change from €200 (alloy) per coupling unless they’ve changed the design/new material.

My mathairs side are from that way - had to go alot to Dublin when I was younger for family. Been back on the razzle a few times & to watch the footie, but its changed a lot since.
Sláinte, Karl.

Your right these things are steeply priced.I never realised how expensive they are.

I have done a bit of research into the pricing and came across this site which includes a price list

they supply galvinised steel couplings.

http://www.agri-pumps.co.uk/fit4.htm

They only price up to 8" couplings on site, so i will get on to them tomorrow regarding larger 12" and 16" couplings also.

A 8" male coupling section is £68 while a female section £30
Thats €85 and €40 respectively for a 8" inch
I estimate the price to be 1.5 times those prices for 12"
and 2 times the price for 16"

15 by 8"male = €1275
15 by 8"female = €600

15 by 12" male = €1900
15 by 12"female = €900

10 by 16"male = €1700
10 by 162 female = €800

ROUGH TOTAL…€7,175

Plus supply of lay flat pipe by 400m…of which i have yet to price.

and i will have to factor in delivery of 80 heavy duty couplings and pipe roll to that price…

Thats a bigger job than i first thought.

Good times, Agus ta cupla focal agat freisin!!

You lost me on that last line :smiley:

Those steel couplings look like a bad mould. The brass connectors I’ve seen look like the business (obviously turned) more than the ones on that web-page.

If you ever get to Mallorca - I’m in Santa Ponsa - its the Irish quarter :slight_smile:
And the Guinness is imported from Dublin - home from home!

i was just commending you on your bit of irish language…:smiley:

Ye i can see what ya mean…and any pics i have found seem to look pretty rough…my biggest problem is that i can only find suppliers of up to 8" couplings…and 8" layflat for that matter.

Maybe i am getting myself into more trouble than its worth.
I mean its quite a risk tying almost €10k in something i don’t know anything about.

I think i’ll prob let this one past me and research into them a bit more.
maybe it would be best left to the pro’s for the moment.

Thanks for all your help in this thread Karl,i really appreciate it.

Cool, I’ll give ya a shout if i ever find myself around your part…you likewise
ahh and the guinness would suit me down to the ground…:cool: