Left- or Right-handed?

Which hand do you favor for window cleaning and other tasks in your life?
Hopefully we can all still be friends after this.
Check all that apply.

• Left hand dominant
  • Right hand dominant
  • Ambidextrous
  • Quadridextrous/Chimpanzee

0 voters

1 Like

Remember if you say your ambidextrous I would expect you to write as neatly with both hands… every half decent window cleaner can use either hand to clean with.

3 Likes

Along this lines… look up the difference between cross dominance and ambidextrous… most people who claim to be ambidextrous… are in fact(like myself), cross dominant. We use one hand for task a, and the other for task b… but aren’t equally capable of all tasks with both hands( which is what ambidextrous would intail). I personally favor fine motor movements(like writing) with my left hand, and gross motor movements(like swinging a bat) with my right.

3 Likes

Bingo. Anything that involves two hands I’m right handed. One hand e.g. writing, racket sports etc left handed…so left hand dominant.

I’m right hand dominant for writing and other fine motor skills but I do cleaning tasks left handed most of the time. In addition to trying to become more ambidextrous I’m trying to minimize repetitive stress strain on my right side.

1 Like

Im not sure I can answer this question fairly @Samuel im tapping with my right thumb to respond to this topic and im using my left hand to hold my coffee cup… :confused:

5 Likes

The important question then is: What are you doing with your toes?

1 Like

Pushing the kitten away!

3 Likes

4 Likes

I don’t know how to answer. I write and use eating utensils with my left hand and throw a ball, use my squeegee with my right.

2 Likes

I’m right there with you… except with a squeegee I favor my left hand… so I put left dominant. It took my first two months of cleaning windows(and switching belt setups, from left to right) before one emerged victorious, and in the end… there can only be one :smile:Or maybe two. If Sean Connery can play a Spaniard, I imagine anything is possible.

2 Likes

I find the whole concept very interesting. My theory is that it’s all a matter of habit. For example, playing guitar right-handed (rythm guitar, specifically) you use your right for the relatively easy job of strumming and your left for the very complex task of forming chords. When typing, regardless of which hand is dominant, do you feel either hand is better at the task? I’ve surmised that at a very early age we all just got used to doing things with a certain hand and since that hand then became more dextrous, we continued to rely on it more and more. I imagine that most people pick that hand based on observation resulting in the majority of the population favoring the same hand (i.e. the right).

If that were 100% true then I would imagine the general population of left and right handers would be closer to a 50/50 split. As it is, left-handers make up about 10% of the population in any significant sample.

However, I don’t believe you are entirely off the mark either. Last I read there is no “left-handed gene” per se. Rather, it seems there is a “bias gene” present in many/most right-handers, and in the absence of bias some people develop more coordination in their left hand for any number of environmental reasons.

1 Like

Wow that’s interesting. I wonder why it’s like that.

I was just reading something about that, actually

That was an interesting read. The “barman” handedness (each hand can perform complementary tasks simultaneously) might apply to some of the posts in this thread.

the thing is very few people have the enormous brain power required to be left handed.
:slight_smile:
:cactus:27

2 Likes

You just keep adding more blocks to that wall… :wink:

This coming from the guy whose vote indicates his self-identification as “chimpanzee”

1 Like

I was talking with a dry wall stone mason. He works for a very wealthy clientele building old fashion stone walls without mortar. He noticed that his left handed guys were always his best guys, so now he discriminates against right handers when they interview for a job. He throughs them a shovel and they don’t get the job unless they catch it in their left hand. Sounds crazy but he only wants the best guys.

I think I heard that left handers tend to be better at sports.