Letting clients know about annual price increase

How do you let clients know that they will see an annual increase in price.
I’m sending out my quarterly postcards and this is the frase I’m considering on the back of the postcard with other info:
“FYI: On January 1, 2022, and continuing annually, accounts will see a minimum 3% increase.”
My wife said only tell the ones that will have an increase, I think they should all see it.

Are the quarterly cards to everyone or only existing customers?
If a general quarterly postcard sent out to drum up new business I would leave it off. If a reminder to present customers to schedule for this or the next quarter then it could be a “call to action”.

1 Like

Just a suggestion, I would do an increase of 5-10% based on the cost of gas rising. Beyond gas increases the periphery businesses around window cleaning are being hit hard with COGS jumping up dramatically. Something to consider as you plan for the future.

1 Like

I only send postcards to current clients. I agree, a call to action before a $5-20 increase.

I considered making it 5%, I have several odd accounts that are way under priced. That’s why I hope the minimum 3% will activate them. They may need to go the way of all the earth and die of my list.
Did a bid for a lady this morning that the former WC doesn’t do “big houses” anymore. it’s a one level 2500 sqft, she never raised the price in 15 years. I was called unreasonable. She called me 30 minutes later and said the other guy she called said minimum $400 for her neighborhood without asking questions, she booked immediately. I should have raised mine to $400 even. :laughing:

I recently (February) did a 4% raise. Last time I raised prices was 2019 and I still should have raised it more then. I also charge more for tracks and screens now. It makes a big difference in my desire for the tasks at hand.

1 Like

Since this inflow of “free” stim money, we’ve raised prices 4% across the board.
Our approach has been to send new quotes each cleaning, price adjustment or not. When there’s no raise, its a reassurance that we’re on the same page. When we raised prices, we added a note in our quotes, explaining the raise. Haven’t lost a customer. (Except those we raised 10%+ for being pain in rear customers. Good riddance.)

3 Likes

I never let anyone know ahead of time of price increases. I just increase it. Some residential will ask about it being higher but most never say anything about it. Either they don’t notice or don’t care. I even do it with my storefronts and commercial most. like 90% never say a word about it.

1 Like

my mail box is always chalk full of notices from the businesses i deal with telling about their price increases, mcdonalds, the plumber i used once… and the grocery store holy crap they send 40 or 50 evry day!

1 Like

I don’t like to surprise customers. I tell them on their booking that there has been a price change or if it is quarterly customer I let them know that their next clean will reflect a price change.

1 Like

I raised the price on a client that had the same price for 15 years (previous owner client). The price should have been $525 (125 panes-not french-2x2- large sliders) but he was paying $225 and I raised it $10 and he called me from his private plane and asked why the increase…
I will let them know beforehand from now on.
I am stupid for keeping the account, he’s right by 3 other homes I do.

4 Likes

That is hilarious.

…And somehow within the conversation, he managed to make you aware of the fact that he was calling from his private plane. I’d be like, “Thanks for your business, but find another window cleaner.”

The guy wasn’t being genuine. He called to flex and be a condescending jerk. You don’t get to the point in life where you can own a private plane, and still not understand a basic concept like inflation.

/rant

Anywho, I don’t give a notice of increase unless it’s a price correction of 5% or more.

5 Likes

I picked up a regular quarterly customer last summer. A local doctor who even worked on my shoulder several years ago. He expects his gutters cleaned for free as I “charge enough” for his mansion on 8 acres of prime waterfront. He says “as I can imagine the cost of upkeep on a property like this”. Hah! Buy a property that you can afford and hire me to take care of those windows and gutters. LOL

Having stepped away from window cleaning a few years back and now returning, I will definitely be raising my prices as I relaunch this month.

I’d prefer to set the bar now with my new clients.

3 Likes

Agree :100: , no need to say anything as long as it’s fair. Fair could be subjective , but %5 -%10 to me is fair.
If any one gives you a hard time at the time of payment just back off it as a gesture. Ok no problem I’ll keep original pricing for this service , but next service we will have to raise prices.

We appreciate your business , but raises are a part of ours.

2 Likes

I was still in the house, he’s in banking and “Venture Capitalism” though a staunch Democrat…reconcile those for me, will you. His property manager said his biggets fear is leaving too much money to his kids and grandkids. I for one know how he might avoid the concern. :wink:

What was the thinking on the $10 raise ???

How do you think the rich stay rich? That phone call probably cost him more than the $10.

he cleans every 3-4 months and I was going to raise it $10 each time until it hit what it should be. my long game plan.

1 Like

Ron ,Where do I begin