Liquidator Issues

Yep! - they mailed us a big bag of them.

1 Like

I bought a 14" liquidator with the 40 degree handle when they first were released. Out of the box it worked awesome for the 0 detailing on the edges… But no matter where I cut the rubber, completely flush with the ends or a tad shorter or longer it leaves trail lines on the top side of channel when fanning or straight pulling. So frustrating. No idea why. I use ettore rubber. Maybe first few batches sucked ? The new ones maybe don’t have this problem? Anyone know why this is happening ?

Quit cutting your rubber with scissors.

If you don’t get a pristine cut with a sharp straight edge, you will get lines.

I been loving my Liquidator for residential glass for the past 6 months. Cut my rubber flush with the edges of the clip.

1 Like

Old thread… but a question about the 2.0 end clips. Got my new channels last week and thought that this time I will not modify the endclips like I did last with the 1.0 channels. Because I’ve noticed that sometimes I’ve had to detail anyway because the channel hasn’t been real tight to the seal.
But when i tried the new channels they feel very difficult to fan with. Like wobbling on the glass and sometimes leaving streaks in the middle of the channel.
My question: You with 2.0 channels have you bent your clips? Straighten them a little?

1 Like

I have the old 1.0, and never really get along with it.
When I bought the excelerator, I also bought the 2.0 and it works for me straight out of the box. Maybe you should use a little more soap? Or change the angle a bit? But maybe it have som issues, do it look bent?

Maybe it’s me then… I thought I had pretty much soap. And I also use gg3. I put the Red Rubber in the channel.
It looks like they usually looks like when they arrive from the box.
As a Swede - Do you use the liquidator on most modern windows. Or also on wooden frames?

I also mix soap and gg4 sometimes.
Use it on mostly modern, metal, aluminium frames. Try to be a master with a pole too :slight_smile:
For older home wood windows mostly unger ergotech or ettore pro plus? I think its called.
Where do you use it mostly?

1 Like

I use it on windows like you + storefronts.
On others I use my Sorbosqueeges. So Sorbo and Liquidator is my basic setup. I choose squeegee when I see the object I will be cleaning.

1 Like

Sorbo is great, havent used it for so long, but when I tried it, it was so easy with less pressure.

2 Likes

IMO:

Liquidators need soft rubber (think Ettore ‘medium’ rubber for warm temps, Moerman/Unger soft for colder temps) and pressure applied evenly and consistently during use in any direction. The even pressure is easily done with a pole, but not so much in the hand - you really gotta watch it. They also dont do well on glass that flexes or bows from any pressure (think grocery store freezer doors, thin large panes of glass).

They’re finicky with pressure and rubber because the tips are bent so far forward that all the rubber’s pressure on the glass is coming from (and isolated to) the dog-eared tips, and not the structural flex inherent in rubber - like from a standard square-end or non dog-eared channel; this is also why if you hit a side/seal too hard, the rubber will crumple in the channel and leave lines/streaks because it’s not blading off the solution. A standard channel will allow for glass flexing & various degree’s of pressure because the pressure applied by hand is ‘buffered’ by the flex resistance of the rubber, so it’s very forgiving (compared to liquidator channels).

I’ve been having so many issues with rubber folding, lines/streaks, even the handle & rubber sliding to one side or the other (Excelerator, because the handle is clipped to the rubber and rubber is clipped to nothing. This is a design flaw that should have been addressed IMO) that I’ve switched to my 22" & 18" Ettore brass channels (18" with tips bent forward slightly to counter rubber riding on the seal, works well) and gained so much time while also blading off the water completely as it should - the difference is too noticeable and very easy to achieve compared to using Liquidator channels exclusively for the past year.

I’m going to test out reducing the aggressive forward bend of the tips on my Liquidator 2.0 channels and see if that solves half my issues (which I think it will). Bob is against reducing the angle/degree of the tips but: he’s UK.

All that said, I will however state: 18" Excelerator with Moerman Soft Rubber (what it comes with) is superb on a pole at 25-deg F. and colder… but any other circumstances and I have issues.

3 Likes

is it just me or is it strange to pay money for this thing and then have to boil, bend, tape the broken handle and add slip and what not?! maybe they should have not went into production if all these problems occur?
I use sorbo and wagtail and its go time right out of the box. shoot my home depo ungers still see alot of use without any of these problems. i never tried morman, and i don’t think i ever will with all the problems. though no detailing sounds tempting.

3 Likes

Honestly think this thread should be renamed “Liquidator User Issues”. I’ve been using these from day 1 of Liquidator 1 release. When first received attached one to a Moerman handle soaped up a couple of windows and did a few straight pulls until the angle was dialled in. No issues. Wet glass, extra soap, and tight fan ensuring there isn’t too much dry glass at the top of each stroke. Rubber cut absolutely flush with the end clip means the clip acts as a bump warning against the frame and not the rubber. Light touch in hand is really important as is a pedantic attention to retaining the blade to glass angle, especially on the turns.

Straightening the clips is a waste of time. If you can’t get the knack of the slightly ‘springy’ dog ear then rip the clips off and use it as a normal channel. By the by the angle is slightly less on the V2 clips because they are a harder plastic.

If you insist on using soft rubber (many do) then wedge some sort of clip retention (bit of paper clip or zip tie) between clip and rubber and that negates the propensity for it to fold and catch on a sloppy turn.

I personally use Razer Red, Moerman Hard and Black Diamond Hard (although I’d class them all as Medium). I’ve even used Wagtail (definitely hard) with no issues.

Vigorous use and frame knocking with the Excelerator can cause the handle to float slightly and if you are having that issue then put a little bit of stop tape either side of the handle, NOT on channel under handle as it changes the jaw gap and the pivot becomes a little sloppy.

There is no such thing as the perfect tool and if Liquidator / Excelerator doesn’t work for you, no biggie, just go back to ‘tried and true’. I personally wouldn’t use anything else.

5 Likes

Today I give it a new try. And now it worked just fine! Maybe it was a bit more soap that was needed.
But one personally conclusion I make: I like it better when the rubber is like 2 millimetres longer then the endclips.
My 14’ is like that and it works beautifully. The 18’ is cut straight to the end clips, and that doesn’t work quite so good at the seals.
But that’s just my personal conclusion.
But as you said Eric. The angle and the light pressure is very important.

1 Like

I could never get a good result with my 18" liquidator. My 12 and 14 are my go-to channels. I am going to cut my 18" channel down to some 6" and 8" sizes like Polzn Bladz uses in some of his videos.

And to @anon35812390’s point, every time I get ticked off at a tool in my arsenal, it’s usually me that is the problem. But man, it so much easier to blame the tool!

2 Likes

I’ve tried the Liquidator v2.0’s with hard rubber as well as soft; while the hard rubber works for a while, it wasn’t long before it started streaking - no matter the angle or amount of slip I used (GG4 + Dawn). While I would be glad to blame myself, the 14" wagtail I modified has none of the issues I have with the Excelerator/Liquidators, while also able to close out - detail free - on 4" sills with a pole; I’ve also been finding the excelerator handle is too bulky for a detail free close out on normal commercial sills.

Today I used the 10" Excelerator setup on a pole with great success (except detail free close outs), and the issues I can think of are when I was using the 18" Liq v.2 w/the Excelerator handle and not the 14", so I’m wondering if it’s something to do with the 18" size specifically.

Rubbers used: Moerman Soft, Black Diamond Soft, and Unger Hard. Temp: 33-deg F (.5 C)

2 Likes

Yep,no doubt the extra bulk of the Excelerator base cause issues on this particular frame. They are aware of the issue and admit that they underrated the importance of this. I have negated this by setting the angle at 10°, pad on top and forward angle of 25-30° on an angle adaptor. Acts almost like a ledger. When using like this it’s important to have the longer soft rubbers like Moerman or Ettore. Black Diamond and Unger are shorter (front to back) so are less forgiving and won’t give that slight fold back for an efficient bottom close out.

I personally don’t like the 18" channels on a pivot handle and this applies to my Wagtails as well as my Excelerators, the extra length creates blade pressure challenges as the handle pivots. To get them to work correctly I find you have to exert more pressure. Discovered early on with Wagtail that 16" was the maximum I could comfortably and efficiently use with pivot. Now that I have a second 18" channel (18 and 22 perfectly fine on fixed handles for commercial) I’m going to trim one back to 16. I even have a spare 18" pad that I’ll get a local alteration shop to shorten.

I also find the 10" with pad on top is magical for higher pole work. I find even side close outs tend to work efficiently without the pad severely flopping back and spoiling the clean edge.

This! My god, SO much!

Now I had less ‘evenly applied pressure’ issues when using the 18" channel in pivot mode. I had a theory the pivot would even out the left right pressure and it definitely does, however I also noticed I really had to push hard on it to get it to work, like GET MAD with it, otherwise it would leave water about 1" inside from the tips. I still cant get the 18" to work consistently with the Excelerator in fixed handle mode, I need to try going back to another handle (ex. Combinator, or Unger green S-channel handle).

Agree with you on the 10" its’ great, I’ll have to try side close outs with it.

1 Like

I’ve got to get that Angle Adapter from Moerman.
Just wondering: When you have the Excelerator in your hand, fixed, do you use the 18’ then? Or is it as you said the 16’ the biggest you use even in your hand?

In hand I can get the 18 and 22 (without pads) to perform but to be honest it’s not comfortable. I’ve modded one of their older black handles, (removed blue pivot bolt and epoxied it fixed and released and set angle at 25° and epoxied), and find it the perfect fixed handle for both the 18" and 22" Liquidator channels in hand and on pole for the odd occasion that I’ll still do a straight pull…

…I find 25° the ‘magic’ angle for Liquidator both pivot and fixed handles.

1 Like

I agree for most situations however like you mentioned in another post using it at 10°with an angle adapter is a way out of not needing a ledger I used the mini with the steel angle adapters to get in like 2 feet sill 2 days ago.

1 Like