Loyalty and respect in business gone?

Got an email today from a really company to bid a commercial building. When I looked it up online to see the pic on Google maps low and behold (emphasis on low) it was a building that is already a client!

I called the realty company and found out they hired them to take over the entire maintenance package for their building. OK so not as bad as just taking over the windows, which would reflect on my service, it was still hurtful that I was hearing this from the realty company and not the lady who was in charge of the hiring out maintenance for my client. They had been a great client for probably 6 years and I felt like I had built a decent relationship with the lady in charge. Never had a complaint.

Next I called my client and talked to the lady who I have always dealt with. She was just like yah you can contact them
oh OK. I just wanted to touch base with you as directly as a client
 Yah you can hand in a bid to them
 OK thanks.

What?! Not even thanks for your service over the years, nothing. We were always friendly and she always talked with me and was very personable. I completely understand them handing it off but it just seemed at least an email directly from the client would have been respectful. I feel like a cheap hooker after the customer is finished.

For me it’s jot so much the potential loss of business, as I have the opportunity to bid on the job, but it’s more the lack of personal respect. It seems for many people now days it’s just all business. No one seems to care about people anymore.

4 Likes

Ouch not the way one should find out from a place dealing with all those years. As for the Lady in charge she should have called but she might have hands tided. If she is not the one making the call with going to one company for all projects she might not have even been in loop till last minute. Then I.M.O. the coldness is her trying to get off the call with you Either cause she felt bad and had no answer or once again hands tied.

I’m playing devils advo yes but Iv’e been on the other side once. I found out the owner made a change to save money and didn’t tell all vendors. Once I found out I did call some of them on the side from home but had to make sure I wasn’t tossed under bus.

P.S. did you bid with that Company cause that might lead to more then one building.

1 Like

That one line we all should live by. Always remember they will for the most part drop us for a better deal or a one stop billing.

2 Likes

@whatapane

Sorry to hear that happened.

In situations like that it does hurt when you/we think a relationship is different then you/we perceive it.

3 Likes

that’s a shitty deal, it would make me feel bad.

2 Likes

biggest problem when this happens is the customer it doing it this way to save $$, so the old quote you gave the new maintenance company will put there gravy on top and its gonna work out more expensive or they use your quote as a baseline and do it in house and charge what you would charge, I have lost several jobs to these full package companies, the glass never looks as good but the customers don’t seem to care.

1 Like

Never thought of that angle. Yeh that could be reason they called you maybe they knew you were the old cleaner.

1 Like

What’s funny is it will probably cost them even more than the gravy because they had a really good price with me. I will probably lyrics up the price in the bid to the realty company and then they will put the gravy on.

Again I understand them switching to a company to handle everything for them. It allows them to focus on what they do and not on maintenance. For me it’s more the fact that they didn’t even contact me directly. It’s like dumping your girlfriend on twitter.

1 Like

They contacted me because the client passed on to them all the existing companies info. They are using the current contracts as a baseline for getting new bids. I doubt they will find a better price though.

1 Like

For starters, stop pushing the description “client.”

It comes acrossed as being forced
(as it does for all the rest of you who use the term.)

Because it IS.

3 Likes

Customer loyalty is inversely related to price.

Small storefront and commercial are very loyal. But when you get commercial up over $500 then loyalty goes down. Unless you’re the only one with a wfp and can do a building cheaper than a lift renting competitor.

Yeah but outside of Detroit, we don’t use the word “mark”. :wink:

Missed ya man!

3 Likes

I’m trying to deal with a lady I’ve done work for for the last 4 years. Ignored multiple emailed invoices and ignored a mailed invoice. I left her a VM today, so we’ll see if she calls. 75 days since date of service. It crept up because she’s always been a good customer, and I kind of didn’t notice.

I don’t get it. I’m not saying we’re close, because we’re not. But professional respect is warranted when I’ve been in her home numerous times and small-talked. I work for other family members of hers as well, so that makes it really strange.

I don’t expect loyalty, but I do expect respect.

1 Like

I’ve never felt “client” was a good fit for window cleaning.

I call all of them “associates.”

2 Likes

I have an office interior I do, two floors, lots of glass and cubicles. I started it through a friend who works at a maintenance clean company and they took forever to pay. I said I would clean it next time only when they are prepared to pay - that week. They charged the office on top of what I charge of course. The company he works for did not want to pay until they got paid - I understand, but no. He gave my name to the property manager and she called me to do the windows outside of the janitorial service. I still do that property once or twice a year and get my price paid inside of a week.

2 Likes

Give me a break. It’s just a word. I don’t normally use that word. I just happen to use it without thinking about it. I’m sorry that’s all you got out of what I shared.

1 Like

cli·entˈ klīənt/nounnoun: client; plural noun: clients
a person or organization using the services of a lawyer or other professional person or company.
“insurance tailor-made to a client’s specific requirements”

cus·tom·erˈ kəstəmər/nounnoun: customer; plural noun: customers
a person or organization that buys goods or services from a store or business.
“Mr. Harrison was a regular customer at the Golden Lion”

2 Likes

douche·bag·ger·y
ˈdo͞oSHˌbagərē/
nounNORTH AMERICANinformal
noun: douchebaggery; noun: douche-baggery
obnoxious or contemptible behavior.
“no one gets away with that much douchebaggery without consequences”

:wink:

1 Like

I like the term “johns”.

2 Likes