Loyalty and respect in business gone?

when it comes down to it “we are just the window washer”. Last man/woman on the totem pole. I just smile and thank them for all the biz they did give me in the past, while im giving them my card in case the change there minds. then i go down a few stores/blocks and replace them, no sweat.

1 Like

Building lasting relationships with customers as a window washers is the same as being a customer and buying a candy bar. There is a lot of value in picking favorites, but customers are not always going to pick the same candy bar. Sometimes they will find a good deal on some other candy they like, and take the whole bag. As window washers with pride, we try to make our brand something a customer would be loyal too. Although, we are still a “product” to someone paying for services. As a customer, you wouldn’t want to have an awkward break-up with your old candy bar because today’s taste changed.

More specifically to your point, she should have sent out a mass email to all of their clients, and taken the time to CC to all 2000 potential servicers of that company. Something, anything in the way of a gesture could have save a lot of heartache. A simple heads up, “hey things might change soon,” would have smoothed the transition. But out here in these windowed jungles, no one is looking for caviar. Sometimes, even settling on sixlets, because M&M’s are at the next store. Sorry, this analogy has gone too deep.

Just keep yourself guarded out there. Stay friendly and loyal to your style and brand, and people that don’t want it anymore can clear a timeslot for you to add someone better. Keep moving up, and forward. Use the experience to add a, “this can happen,” expectation, and either focus on getting your customer back on the list, or get a new customer to fill that time slot. People should always be thinking about how to be better people, and complacency can get you eaten.

1 Like

https://www.accenture.com/us-en/insight-customer-loyalty-products-services-experiences

Im thinking maybe the title of the thread is causing people miss Der stand the point of the thread. I should not have used the word loyalty but just respect. To be clear my disappointment was not in the loss of business. The company made a decision to hand over the responsibility of managing all of their maintenance to one company. Their decision to make that change is not at all a reflection of their satisfaction of my service but a reflection that they no longer had the time to manage their own maintenance.

What rubbed me the wrong way was that I was not notified directly, which I doubt any of the contractors were. I was notified or contacted by the company hired to manage the maintenance. It just seemed very impersonal considering the very friendly and direct relationship I had with the lady who was handling the maintenance before. For me relationship ships are important ( using and persoanl) and I would have felt an obligation or even a desire to notify personally those who I had dealt with and who had faithfully served the company for years. At least a bulk email. I would have wanted to thank them for their service. No I don’t feel I am “owed” it. It’s just common (or not so common now) respect. Even when I called her personally there was no sense of desire to be personal which was completely opposite from the norm.

Yes people are different and think differently, but more people tended to extend those courtesies out of common respect (yes even in business relatiinships). The pint was that it seems more and more in small ways that is going by the way side and it is a practice that I hate to see go. No I’m not depressed over it or jaded by it. It’s just an observation.

I just wanted to clarify that the three is not about losing business but about communicating respect in business relationships or even personal for that matter.

i get that, however i disagree with the gone aspect.
i don’t feel there is any more or less than there was 40 years ago when i started my first business.
i think there is lot more than there was 60 years from what i saw on tv and my parents told me.

1 Like

I’m perfectly OK with disagreeing so long as everyone understands what’s being discussed.

1 Like

As one that has posted on seemingly the opposite side of the spectrum i think at the core we are in full agreement. Respect in the world is gone. Sign of the times. Unfortunately it will continue to get worse.

3 Likes

I just wanted to comment on a possible reason for the lady’s chilly disposition.

It could be she’s got a lot of hardship going on in her personal life, or has anxiety issues and is simply overwhelmed at the thought of disappointing people. Anxiety is a sneaky beast like that- can make you act in ways you usually wouldn’t.

The fact that this wasn’t characteristic of her usual interactions with you indicates to me that there’s probably more to the story than a sudden “lack of respect” on her part.

Sure, she should have acted more professionally. No doubt about it. It’s the imputing of motive (or lack thereof) that I have an issue with.

Sonetimes putting yourself in the other person’s shoes can soothe the sting when we’re hurt or offended by something they’ve done.

A principle of human psychology: “People only treat you as badly as they’re feeling themselves.”

5 Likes

i absolutely disagree with this. as per my post above.
we have a tendancy to always think it was better before but it is rarely true.

Alex I absolutely agree. I believe she probably is overwhelmed etc. I wasn’t giving her any motive but simply recognizing that she didn’t communicate. Even when I called her it would jot have taken much to be personable. No matter the motive it was still hurtful. Not hurtful as in I’m going to go home and cry my eyes out or I’m going to slash my wrists etc. It was just a business relationship so on a relationship level it was low on the scale which in the whole scheme of my life is miniscule. A small as it may be it was still hurtful and that’s the only way I can describe my small irritation at it. I only posted it here as conversation. It’s nice to have discussions other than what soap is the best, squeegee rubber etc. Besides we all know GG and Dawn are the best soap and Ettore rubber is the best.

1 Like

Oh, it makes for a great topic of conversation. I love it when we go deeper than just “shop talk”.

And I don’t blame you for being a little hurt. You were right to expect a little more consideration.

@CAS- that all depends on how far you follow that rabbit hole. Some people appear to be in love with themselves, but deep down they’re in a subconscious state of self-loathing. They may be getting everything they ‘want’ but not what they need from their relationships. That’s just what I’ve observed, anyway.

3 Likes

Agreed and well put.

1 Like

Or lovers of themselves, disloyal and unthankful

I do agree most of the time some one is having a bad day and one may be recipent of the stress

5 Likes

I never take the loss of a job personally. It’s cliche, but it’s just business and it happens. Maybe the lady had too much on her plate and wanted the realty company to handle it now, so she could be hands-off and just felt guilty about telling you that, and you caught her off guard with the call.

1 Like

I didn’t take the loss personal at all. The loss wasn’t the issue. I simply felt it should have been handles in a more personal way to value the relationship. Our culture tends not to understand the importance of relationships any more and yes even business relationships. Its just an observation.

If it were a residential job then I would take offense. But at commercial site the left hand is not usually familiar the right.
Different persons job now etc