Miami window cleaning requirements

My wife and I just moved to Miami from Maryland. Do any of you work here in Miami? Wondering what the legal requirements are for getting my business up and running here. It’s just my wife and I so I file as a sole proprietor. Someone who already lives and cleans windows here told me I will need a license with the county as well as I will also need to register with the city of Miami and they have to come do an inspection of my home. That sounds crazy! I am living in a small efficiency apartment on the back of a friends home. Why would the city do a home inspection? Any help in this area is much appreciated! Looking forward to the sunny skies!

1 Like

Hey Miami guys! Here’s a thread for you!

Haha…good one!

1 Like

We’re not in Miami, but I’m guessing your process would be similar to ours in Orlando. We have to register with the county and the city for a business tax receipt in Orange County. When we moved to the next county over, it was all done through the city. I didn’t have to do something separate with the county. We haven’t had to have any kind of home inspection for either Orange or Seminole Counties.

We have to collect sales tax on work done at commercial buildings but not residential. That’s the Sales and Use Tax with the Florida Department of Revenue.

Oh and I’m not sure as a sole proprietor if you have to register with the state on the Sunbiz site. I would think so?

I am north of you by 70 miles in a city called Port Saint Lucie. I am not sure how Miami is (I’ve only been there for a few Heat basketball games)-- but all that was required of me was to obtain a business license in the county I lived in, as well as a business license for any other county I want to work in. I believe the fee for each county for 1 year was around 50-60 dollars. They are correct-- register with your county, as well as the city you live in.

Everything else is pretty much like any other state…well, other than no state taxes :slight_smile:

Sunbiz.org- Register your business on there FIRST. This is required before you get your licenses.

Thanks guys for all your help, much appreciated!!

1 Like

Or you could just move back to Vermont where the only license you need is to drive :wink:

3 Likes

Who said anything about VT? Besides… shush. Vermont is mine, all mine… :rofl:

2 Likes