Moerman Liquidator / Fliq

So,I received some Moerman Liquidators with the Fliq in the mail…I have been using primarily Ettore brass channels and hard rubber…I had a LOT of trouble mastering this Moerman channel!..the damn Fliq would fall back over as I was using the squeegee as well…and i kept leaving these rotten streaks on the window as I was fanning…I finally gave up.

What kind of learning curve have you all experienced? is there a technique that is not evident in the tons of videos I have watched? Or is this just one of those deals where I Have to learn by repetition? The rubber is soft too.(maybe I am just used to the hard rubber?)…that may be the problem…I know it’s the operator…not the tool!

Some of my own observations when using the two. When using with a pole have the pad flip up. When using as a hand tool let the pad flip down. The channel doesn’t like big swooping motions or a big overlap. When you have big overlaps the rubber at the ends drag and leaves marks. In my opinion soap matters. When I use just dawn, I get a lot of drag marks and lines. I use @Rich7428 aka Steve-O on YouTube soap solution with an extra slip agent. Noticeable difference. And yes a lot of practice.

4 Likes

@Trad-Man just made a video on his YouTube channel about how he makes it work.

I posted some of my mods on this thread

Don’t be too hard on yourself, this tool is a supreme diva and not entirely intuitive in the nuances of operation.

4 Likes

I honestly hate this tool, the fact that we need to do all this mickey mouse alterations to get it to work properly out of the box is bs. The excellerator handle feels cheap also. Even with the lightest touch and lot of lube , still leaves alot of water down the center of the channel.only thing worth getting are the scrubbers, they hold lot of h2o.

4 Likes

When it gets right down to it… Nothing beats the simple Ettore brass channel… In my mind anyway. But that could be because that’s what taught myself on lol

2 Likes

I like the brass because it keeps my attention where it needs to be. Off the tool and on the business.

3 Likes

I recently received my 14" setup and am very impressed with the no detailing but I too have had issues with streaking. I love the tool except for the streaks. It is also heavy. I use it with the pad up by hand and hold it like Mr Palmer does, with his thumb holding the pad. I have noticed the streaking isn’t too bad with shallower passes. I’m currently using Unger hard rubber. Practice, practice, practice.

I’d say it becomes workable after about 4 hours of practice. Quintuple that to reach a level where it feels smooth.

I actually have been phasing out the liquidator in favor of a standard stainless channel for work at eye level and resi. More and more I’m also reaching for the 24" sorbo on ninja handle for polework. Incredible how much more efficient it is. Mind you, except for some time with the ninja channel, the liquidator is basically what i learned on. But when i switched to the ones i mentioned there was practically no learning curve. They just worked.

4 Likes

I learned how to fan using a pole with the Wagtail, then the Excelerator 18". I still use the Wagtail for some work, but have pretty much retired the 18" Excelerator. HOWEVER, my 14’ Liquidator with the Excelerator handle has been amazing for me. I use it mainly for residential, and It hugs vinyl sills like magic. Yup, I use the zip-tie clips and duct tape to keep the handle from sliding, but I dig it and the angle options. I occasionally use it for storefronts, but my Sorbos are faster for pole work. My main beef with swivel tools on 2+" American framing is closing out on tall uppers.

With the Fliq, which I only really use on hot glass anymore, it’s about small, shallow turns. I always keep it on top and put my thumb on the flipper when I pull it off of the pole so it doesn’t touch the glass.

One thing about the Liquidator is that it holds a lot of water (??) for a squeegee. I have to wipe it after pulling it out of my hip bucket so the trailing edge, or even the middle of the tool doesn’t drag water. I like mine in warmer temps using Ettore rubbah.

3 Likes