Motivation

So other than money, what are the top 5 things that keep you motivated doing your business?
How do you keep yourself motivated daily?
What are your personal pros and cons in doing this kind of work?

to pay off debt, to provide for my family, to buy a house, to save for retirement… so money

3 Likes

but also as we work toward hiring soon, i like the thought of being able to provide jobs for people in our community.

1 Like
  1. I love to travel
  2. Flexibility to work when I want
  3. Spend time with family
  4. This business allows me to work part time
  5. We can pick and choose who we work for.
3 Likes

Other than money?..cash money.
Easiest work I’ve ever done.
Set my own schedule…even in busy seasons…
Did I mention money?..
I like being outdoors at least half the day.
I like interacting with customers.
I like not being tied to a weekly paycheck.
I like being the boss.

5 Likes

Not having to work for someone else (had my share of idiot bosses, like us all)

Being able to build something and create long term value from my hard work

To have time freedom and take time off when desired and also have employees generate income for me without me needing to be in the field

To give back to my community and donate window cleaning (discounted or free route work) to great local charities or money to other organizations. This is something I’m looking into for 2021, now that things are stable and there is profit there I’d like to be able to do something with it for others.

How about the rest of you? Curious to hear

3 Likes

@JoshT you nailed all of mine!

1. Never wearing another man’s uniform again
  2. Stability that is of my own volition
  3. Freedom
  4. Providing stability and a well paying job to my employees
  5. The almighty dollar
1 Like

All of the above. The growth potential and freedom is stimulating.

1 Like
  1. Immediate gratification of work results (not like business culture which much work is vanity)
  2. Able to enjoy the outdoors
  3. Flexibility with family life compared to than other employment routes
  4. Fun tools (WFP, etc)
  5. Enjoyment of telling clients that the owners’ (wife and I) background is from the Data Center Industry and Economics Major with MBA, but this line of work is more rewarding
4 Likes

I am in for the groupies.

In reality I have lost all passion for my business. Probably a few years ago. Fall picked up 4 teammates I am kinda excited to work with.

I like providing jobs, mentoring people, serving our community.

Gonna take a walk this winter and hope to return with a rejuvenated “why”

1 Like
  1. Being my own boss. I’ve always been a bit stubborn and like doing things my way.
  2. Having control of my schedule. Although I work more than most people I know, it’s because I am choosing to do so, not being told to do so. If I want a day off or long weekend, I just schedule it that way.
    There’s no fear of running out of PTO days.
  3. Building a business that will hopefully generate a more passive income in the future.
  4. Being outdoors (for a majority of the time) and being on the move. Not tied to a desk/office constantly.
  5. I love the marketing/sales aspect. Gets me going when the phone is ringing off the hook.

Cons:

1. This is definitely a personal thing for me but I still have times that I’m not (can’t find the perfect word but…) “proud” of what I do. Especially in social settings when peers are talking about their careers. Most of the time though I just shrug it off because A) they don’t realize how profitable the window cleaning/pressure washing business is and B) I’m my own boss
  2. The stress of running my own business. Employees, bills, scheduling, making $ during winter etc…
  3. Physical toll. Kind of a pro and con. Pro is that I get paid to exercise. Con is that if you wake up tired and sore and have a full day scheduled you have to nut up and get after it.
  4. Lack of “job security” and traditional benefits. Health insurance is stupid expensive.
2 Likes

What bothers me more about this is the fact of that perception, not so much that I am worth less. I think its a dumb belief, and it also cracks me up when I make $60+ hour (as my take home) I had to see my own success before I was confident in this, but the last two years I have made well more than I could have at my old corporate job, and that was supposed to be good job that people in the company fought over.

What some people don’t get is that you create your own job security with a business, and once your understand how to run a business there are so many other survice based businesses you can start and run. I tell people that if pressure washing/window cleaning just disappeared today, I would go to work for an HVAC company and get certified so I could start my own business in 2-3 years in that. I also plan to retire on investment properties by starting that business in the next 2-3 years after scaling this one more. Employees don’t usually think that way. They look for employers to create opportunities for them, and hope the employers don’t screw them over. All their eggs are in one basket, where as even if I lost my biggest customer, I would have 75% of my income still. Employees would have nothing until they find their next job.

My own Dad recently still doesn’t get it. We were talking on a road trip and he told me I may not be able to do this forever and not to be closed off to the idea of working for someone else again someday. :man_facepalming: I told him if my business failed I would start a different one.

I agree on the health insurance. I also believe it is stupid the amount it costs.

1 Like

Enjoy the walk and thanks for the honesty. I’ve been fighting it this year and I’m relatively new at this.

Time

1 Like

“Health insurance is stupid expensive.”

It seems to me this should prioritize prophylactic healthcare. There is a center in London I want to go every couple of years, increasing frequency as I age.

For 1200 USD you can get a battery of tests on all this:

“Consultation Physical examination
Measurement Height, Weight, Standard Weight, BMI
Blood Pressure Diastolic pressure, Systolic blood pressure
pH, Urinal Sugar, Urinal Protein, Occult Blood etc.
Microscopic sediment
Occult Blood
White Blood Cell count (WBC)
Red Blood Cell count (RBC)
Haemoglobin
Platelets
Haematocrit
MCV • MCH • MCHC
Total Cholesterol
Triglyceride
HDL-Cholesterol
LDL-Cholesterol
BUN
Creatinine
Uric Acid
Serum Iron
Amylase
Total Protein
Albumin, Globulin
A/G
Sodium (Na), Potassium (K), Chlorine (CI)
Fasting Blood Sugar
HbA1c
GOT (AST)
GPT (ALT)
g -GTP
ALP
LDH
Total Bilirubin
Hepatitis B surface Antigen (HBsAg)
Hepatitis B surface Antigen (HBsAb)
Hepatitis C Virus Antibody (HCV)
Alpha feto protein (AFP, Liver cancer etc)
CEA (Gastrointestinal cancers etc)
Urine Analysis
Stool
Haematology
Blood Chemistry
Analysis
Blood Sugar
Liver Function
Analysis
Hepatitis
Tumour Marker
PSA (Prostate cancer)
CA125 (Ovarian cancer etc)
Female Female Thyroid Hormone
(FT3, FT4, TSH)
RP
ESR
Hearing 1000Hz • 4000Hz
Visual Acuity Uncorrected visual acuity, Corrected visual acuity
Eye examination Ocular fundus, Ocular pressure
E.C.G. Electrocardiogram (Cardiac Function test)
Ultrasound Liver, Gallbladder, Pancreas, Spleen, Kidney
Chest X-Ray
Oesophagus, Stomach and Duodenum (Barium meal)
Ultrasounds (others) Choose one from: Bilateral carotid artery ultrasound/
Thyroid ultrasound
Metabolic Syndrome Score Based on special health screening test”

This is part of the Ningen Dock - which every Japanese citizen takes once a year.

Of course this is supposed to remind you to behave better with diet, exercise - I think it works.

tldr; Fly yourself out for better healthcare - it’s probably cheaper.

1 Like