Musings of a Post-Industrialist Window Cleaner

Latest blog:Musings of a Post-industrialist Window Cleaner - Cape Cod Window & Gutter Cleaning

Warning: long winded essay

Blog in a Nutshell: many of us are underutilized; our work doesn’t fulfill us because we don’t give enough of ourselves.

Do you feel that your job is using all of your talents?

If not, what is your strategy for maximizing your potential - adding more of yourself into your job and/or finding pursuits outside of your job to compensate?

I try to inject as many of my talents, hobbies, and interests into my job so I won’t go insane. Maybe it’s an unusual strategy.

I know a lot of window cleaners on this forum are extremely talented, what ways have you incorporated your skills?

nice post.

I live in a collage town so I can relate very well.

Seems like everyone has gone to 4 years of university even if they are just flipping a burger.

My degree is in business management, at least I get to use it a little running a business, but when i was doing all of the labour myself it didn’t feel like I had to think much to do my job.

I recently took on a new job as an employee instead of boss, I don’t use any business skills, but I love the fact that I am stretched and learn new things everyday. Arcade games and Pinball machines find new ways to break themselves, and as they get more complicated so do the repairs.

Thought provoking once again, Jesse. I think it is important to keep learning and reading. Both within our industry and in other disciplines there is always more to learn. Having a paradigm that we have hit our heads on the preverbial ceiling is an exaggerated sense of accomplishment. From the technical side, chemistry, management, marketing, IT, etc. the opportunities for learning in our direct areas of influence are unlimited. Learning and skill development is how I find rejuvenation. As I also teach and lead a chamber orchestra for a private school I have multiple interests that engage me during the week.
As our jobs are more and more specialized in society it seems the liberal education in the classical sense of the term is less valued. The quality and depth of that education at university reflects the change in the marketplace and our mindsets. This is indicative not just of a blue collar job like ours, but of even extremely demanding professional careers in bio-chemistry, physics, medical research. I would say our post Rennaisance society has pushed everyone into niches of information that do not allow ful utilization of our talents or physical abilities. Yet, I think we are much better for the progresses society makes because of the specializations we each pursue whether in a blue or white collar trade. Thus, while I may not utilize all my talent in a single job I am not impoverished as a person because of it. I need to proactively approach my personal growth and further contributions and not think the grass is greener elsewhere. I have had a well paying corporate job that was specialized and posed the same challenge but in a different setting. I think this challenge is everywhere.
Thanks for the post.

[COLOR=#333333] Learning and skill development is how I find rejuvenation[/COLOR]

Yes definitely. I always want to be learning and growing whether it’s carpentry or chemistry.

[COLOR=#333333]I also teach and lead a chamber orchestra for a private school I have multiple interests that engage me during the week.[/COLOR]

Yeah, sometimes we need to go outside our profession to get what we need. My sister used to play the bassoon in a symphony - I loved going to watch her practice (Bach and Vilvaldi are my favorites).

[COLOR=#333333]I would say our post Rennaisance society has pushed everyone into niches of information that do not allow ful utilization of our talents or physical abilities.[/COLOR]

Yes. Well said. That was what I was trying to get at - specialization can feel constraining. I have a hard time doing the same thing over and over.

[COLOR=#333333]I have had a well paying corporate job that was specialized and posed the same challenge but in a different setting. I think this challenge is everywhere. [/COLOR]

Yeah, sometimes I feel like I am going crazy sometimes having so many things I want to do and accomplish but the more I talk to people about unfulfilled ambitions, I realize that everyone has them. Whether it’s restoring a classic car, getting into wood working or writing a novel - everyone has dreams.

Dreams are good. The best dreams, I think, are ones that utilize our talents to help other people. Teaching people music, art or sports, whatever really, makes us feel good and helps other people.

The older I am getting, the more I want to give something back to the community. Everyone gave to give me a decent shot in the world. I am grateful and want to start giving back.