My sweet phone book ad for upcoming year (full page): maybe limited ROI, but monthly payments ease the pain

2 Likes

So, it’s ok to throw money away if it’s monthly? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well at some point the art work is worth a good amount of money it took a good little bit of back and forth emailing. The phone book ad is worth something however its not really worth the amount of money they charge. I once got a free full page ad from them so its all good, and I got a very good price for a full page ad in the main phone book in my area. No its not okay to throw money away monthly, but when you have an advertising and marketing budget to keep you need to spend it. At the time I decided to sign the contract I was fine to make monthly payments instead of a lump payment. And under the circumstances I’m not totally regretting my ad. I will not spend this kind of money ever again on a phone book ad though. I am looking for feedback on my ad.

Great looking ad! I’m confused about basic/deluxe though. The list looks like deluxe to me. From $70 is a hook, but what is included and how many windows?

The ad looks good to me. I like your freebies for seniors. A wise uncle told me “give before you get” which I think you are applying here…
Let us know if this ad was worth it…

2 Likes

Those are our minimums. Basic-Deluxe is like saying its our basic service, but, it is deluxe.

What’s a phone… book? Oh, I get one every spring on my door step, so it’s really convienent to put in the recycle bin. I remember having one inside the house, it was right next to the phone on the wall. It was like a card catalog but for phone numbers.

That’s a great looking ad though. Turn it into an eddm!

5 Likes

Mine goes straight to the bin too. Definitely geared towards seniors so the freebies are a good touch.[quote=“JBeauty, post:6, topic:40993, full:true”]
Those are our minimums. Basic-Deluxe is like saying its our basic service, but, it is deluxe.
[/quote]

So how many windows are included for $70?

phone book is dead…you would do better with same money mailing them out to targeted neighborhoods.

I look at the phone book once a year to see if I got a free listing. This year I didn’t. They are having a hard time filling up space in that thing.

I don’t get miffed about it, it goes in the garbage after.

Now, don’t get me started on the complimentary Sunday Star Ledgers I get thrown in my driveway once a week. I’m about to bill them for trash removal.

3 Likes

The ad looks nice, good font and colors. Definitely recommend using it for other advertising.

1 Like

up to 10

up to 10 on the works as well

You guys have a ton of seniors down there dont you? Its one of the places that they tell the seniors up here to go, Florida or Arizona. I would assume that the phone book might work pretty good?

Ugh I forgot about the senior market areas…in that case phone book might still be an option, but beat them up on the pricing of the ad. They can go cheaper than what the quote you.

1 Like

If you don’t mind sharing what is the cost for a full page ad?

I think it being a full page will help. Last I looked we had 2-3 pages of window cleaners and a few had 1/4 size ads.

Regarding the ad: I am a neat and tidy guy. The “Free for seniors” blurb seems out of place. I am reading about window cleaning now I am thinking of my smoke alarm batteries. Seems that might be the place to bold your guarantee or whatever makes you the man.

Also, your insurance is cool with smoke detector batteries and all the other non window cleaning work?

3 Likes

Seniors are good, I love seniors but the phone book hands down is a huge waste of money. There are a few reasons I did it one of which was almost 50% off. Another reason is for some other window cleaners in town to refer business to if they are too busy. One thing I’ve always done is check out the other WCer ads in the phone book every year. It lets the competition know who you are, its like saying we are open for business.

Some seniors still use the phone book so they can see a nice pretty ad especially if they’ve been referred by someone else. Its like a cross reference for prospects that says “HELLO WE’RE OPEN, and by the way here is our ad for service and starting prices”. But it won’t generate enough ROI more than likely to justify the investment it will be more like an expense. But I definitely will use the art for a while. Many times people who call from the phone book, which is not very often are looking for a discount. If you look at my ad I also tried something that’s never been done before in the PHONE BOOK. I ask for text or go online, no phone calls.

The phone is dying in general, I like to use the phone to have conversations with clients and prospects not initial calls to gather information such as name and address they can fill out the online form or send text messages. Phone calls are very inefficient for initial calls unless I’m really slow I prefer online quote requests or text messages to save time. I’m also sending a message to the phone book company by asking my prospects to go online or send text message. They may need to evolve their service because we all know $4,000 or $5,000 for a phone book ad just ain’t going to slice it no more. Online is the new thing. This will be the last year I spend over $2,000 on the phone book.

1 Like

Actually the insurance question seems a little inflammatory care to explain why you are asking?

I could have switched the senior blurb with the licensed and insured blurb that is a good point. but please don’t mettle in my insurance unless you are asking for a sincere reason, window cleaning insurance does not even cover the scope of work being performed fyi.

He’s asking if your insurance is cool with it because they most likely are not. If someones house burns down and the firealarm doesnt go off, its now your fault.

1 Like