Newby questions

Hello all. I am just getting started with my window cleaning biz and doing a lot of learning. There is probably already a thread that answers my questions, but I haven’t found it so far. So maybe ya’ll can answer them here or point me in the right direction.

I keep see CCU and [I]think[I] it has to do with new construction. Correct?

Also, from what I have read about Fabricating Debris, here and other places, this applies to new glass.

I don’t plan on doing any new construction cleaning jobs, but I know I might have to deal with new glass when someone replaces a window.

When I am confronted with a new window, is there any test I can do to determine if there is FD present? Can you feel it if you run your hand over the glass. Or see it?

As I am just getting started, I plan on only doing store front at first.

I have had a house cleaning biz the past 20 years and have cleaned plenty of residential windows (never any new ones), but decided to start a biz to clean all the NASTY, STREAKED, DIRTY store front windows I see every time I drive down the street. Makes me crazy!:):slight_smile:

Thanks

Correct – Construction Clean Up.

Fabricating debris can be present on any heat-strengthened glass, new or otherwise.

You cannot prove that it isn’t present (it may be somewhere you haven’t tested.)

All good points Larry!

There is some more info over here:

http://www.windowcleaner.com-a.googlepages.com/fabricatingdebris

You can test for it. I’m surpised Larry or Chris did not tell you the trick. It’s called the TTT or Triple T test. What you do is run your tounge all along the frame of the glass. When you are done, if there is debris on the glass you will know cause it will also be on your tounge. IE The Tounge Test…

:eek:

Just kidding, like Larry said no real way to know. Welcome to the forum.

Get a waiver signed every time to protect your business.:wink:

Oh cool! I can do that! I have a really long tongue! And, it’s quite tuned in to licking things. I’m a serious rockhound and have licked many a rock.:D:D

Correct – Construction Clean Up.

I knew that because I had read the CCU thread. My weary brain just didn’t click to it. I have been reading so much on window cleaning the last week or so, my brain is somewhat scrambled.

Fabricating debris can be present on any heat-strengthened glass, new or otherwise.

Even on older windows that have been cleaned before? Or maybe the ones have seen that are so nasty have never been cleaned before!

http://www.windowcleaningresource.co…ricatingdebris

Yep, read this and a couple other pages on it. Who would have thought there’s so much to learn about cleaning windows!

One more question. The windows I have done for my housekeeping customers, I have just used Windex or a homemade brew and used paper towels, newspapers, or a T-shirt. Not used a scraper or squeege. Does using paper towels/newspapers also cause scratches? Not that I’m worried about the ones I have done because most of them are pretty old and already had some pretty bad scratches and flaws.

When I went to the bank yesterday to set up my bank account, got my first job. Cleaning the windows for the bank - and I haven’t even got all my equipment yet. YIPEE! She also said her husband was in home construction and she would give him my name when I was ready to go. Told her I didn’t think I’d be ready for that for a while! But I’d sure do the bank windows.