Noob Here - Where/How to get started with new business

I’ve been going a year or so and this is my take on it is this…
You want to just get out there and clean windows that may mean doing “marketing” basically offer to do windows for free or $1 in full. By doing this it is hard for customers say no and they get all warm and fuzzy when the light comes through the windows. I have picked up accounts doing this , just be strategic in where/how you do it. example target organizations with people who would likely want their windows cleaned. This is about picking up accounts at this stage not volunteering as such.

I did this to a local organization and as a consequence picked up a contract worth over $5K per year. They responded well …not all will. Create so much value that they can’t help but say YES.

1 Like

Do as you wish. I have worked for three different window cleaners in my 13 years, my latest being 10+ years with them.

I would see if you like to do windows, as suggested. It’s not for everyone, that’s for sure. Perhaps doing your home 10-20 times…and your relatives/friends BEFORE you hit the pavement and actually bid on jobs-- so you can bypass the “free” cleanings to store fronts and homes since you’ve already picked up your cleaning methods by doing the above mentioned places. You want them to see you KNOW what you are doing. I am against just “winging it”-- not if you are charging them-- free maybe, as a token of good faith .(I understand you could low ball them-- but remember years down the road those low bid accounts will hurt you and you may not even continue doing them— Personally, I want accounts that last as long as they are in business) They want a professional window cleaner, they are paying you money-- Put yourself in their shoes.

Good luck man, these guys here can’t steer you wrong and I mirror a lot of their suggestions!

“It’s not for everyone…”

How is that possible?! It’s fun, rewarding, fun, relaxing, challenging at times, and fun… i think it’s for everyone! Not everyone can do it, but i think everyone would like to. Maybe I’m just biased, i love my job!

1 Like

It is not for everyone, RSH. Seeing my buddy go through employees who just want to do the bare minimum, it’s sad. Never have I seen someone get paid 500-600 a week for doing the boss’s work (patios, ground floor)-- and refuse to do ladder work because “My back hurts”-- LOL…seen a lot in my 13+ years

Oh yeah i know. I was being facetious.

1 Like

I personally love window cleaning. I feel I was put here on Earth to do just that. It is not work to me, it’s exercise!

2 Likes