Not sure what to bid. Looking for your wisdom

Good day all!

This one is not so straight forward, at least for me. They want exterior only cleaning on every piece of glass shown in the pictures. The building has 3 sides with windows. I have a 40’ WFP.

I feel like I’ll have to do it early in the morning before traffic picks up and there are a number of power lines that I’d have to watch out for as well.

What would be a reasonable price to offer?

Count up how many panes and multiply by 2, 2.5, or 3 for outside imo

Are you sure your pole will reach? Those historic type buildings are deceptively tall!

I don’t mess with power lines :zap:

3 Likes

Good point, it may not reach. I’ll go take a look in person today.

But the power lines in the back ally have me more so concerned. I might pass on this just due to that, I’ll need to look carefully. I’m not desperate and would rather not die :disguised_face:

I was thinking $600-$700. But no amount of money is worth my life.

I appreciate the input. You’d personally really charge $3 per pane or less on a 3rd story window?

Who knows man

Maybe I’m loko

I just quoted a hotel, I quoted a $2 per pane for main floor, $3 a pane for 2nd story, $4 for third story, $5 for 4th story. 160 some panes, $550 bucks for exterior, then I doubled that to do interior. Got both hotels for a total of 2k. Time will tell if agreeing to do the interiors was wise or priced way too low given the possible time suck.

Anyway, for this job I’d be quoting about $800 I think (total as calculated above came to $700, then I added $100 to be safe), but maybe even a little more if you are willing to work around the power lines (I wouldn’t because I have absolutely no idea what could potentially go wrong). But around $800-900 would be my quote.

1 Like

I think your pricing is decent all around.

I decided to pass on the job, I just felt the danger wasn’t worth the risk to life.

The property owner told me he appreciated my candor and that he could not find any companies willing to touch it. Now we know :see_no_evil:

1 Like

You could always offer to do the windows that aren’t near lines and discount accordingly. But if you’re not hurting for work it’s totally not worth the risk.

You know something, you can call the power company and ask to speak to someone to teach you which lines are high power, you will be surprised with how willing to help you they actually are. Over here, its the line that is the highest that has the most power…if I remember right.

Just call them and you may find out its just 110, that wont kill ya but will sting real good.
I’ve turned down jobs because of this issue too, where others have no problem doing. I don’t care, as you, I’d like to stay alive.

1 Like