Office space

Does most everyone on here use their home address on their business related material, or does anyone rent office space?

My company uses my home’s office.

2 Likes

It doesn’t make much of a difference. I have an office but it’s mostly used for a different business. I just use the address there for mailing and because I feel a physical location looks/ sound better on paper but I don’t actually do any work there. You can always get a virtual office.

And my homes playstation

And my homes beer fridge.

Because if google can have been bags and ping pong… we can have beer and gaming :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I use my home but I want an office address because I hate the fact that my home address is readily available. But If I did get a office somewhere else I would probably use my home address too just to try and get some better rankings on google

I use my home address. Nothing wrong with a home office since what we do is “go to the customer”, they don’t come to us. Perhaps if you needed to house a bunch of equipment and a couple of vehicles not at your residence, then a separate office address would make sense?

My concern was more or less personal privacy; keeping my home information separate. Also, I thought when filing articles of organization for an LLC you have to have a physical address other than a primary residence.

No, home based businesses can be LLC. Most folks who will end up “knowing” your address are the same ones who’s address you know and go to often. Why can’t they know yours?

Um, b/c I’m only interested in my providing a service for their money. Why would they have to know my home address?

A few reasons come to mind. Am I dealing with a local business? Can I mail a payment, or send an inquiry?

It is nothing to be overly concerned about. No one will be coming to your door making demands or anything. I service some of the richest customers in my area with their multi-million dollar homes. I have no problem being totally up front with who has full access to their residence while providing my service. I just don’t get the concern.

3 Likes

i would never deal with a company that did not have a physical address. who are they? what do they have to hide?

I just listed in over 100 business directories. Didn’t want my personal address being on there and good thing… I already got at least one scam call and they were definitely fishing for my personal address. Don’t know what they coulda started with it, but I’d rather not find out. Also, i already get enough spam calls. Really don’t want more junk mail to add to it.

1 Like

I have people stop by quite often. I find it strange but at least they feel comfortable with me. I had an issue with my call forwarding and someone stopped by to let me know. Dont get me wrong i was grateful but it’s strange.

Another time I thought I heard something outside and there was someone with my truck door open. I yelled as I started at him… it was a customer that owed me money. He was putting a check on my seat because I didn’t hear him knock on the door.

I would like to seperate that… and the mess from stocking supplies and having sloppy employees… away from my house

4 Likes

I highly recommend it! I’ve had no work stuff at home apart from laptop and van for 3 years now. Got a bigger space mid last year when I upgraded the waterblaster to a trailer.

Everything is locked and under cover. Plus, it’s a business and industrial park so it’s also behind electric fences and pin code gates. No worrying about noises outside the house and thinking about the tools.

And, if you need to hide something like gifts or a new motorbike from the family…

3 Likes

That’s a great point, and it’s more towards what I was talking about in the beginning; keeping some separation. But I also don’t want my personal residence being caught up in any legal action if, God forbid, something crazy happened.

It’s the second best thing I’ve done after going by paperless.

Unless I’m working on my laptop in the house… there’s is no sign of work at home.

1 Like

Then you should really look into a virtual office. It’s basically just a mail forwarding program but you get a physical address, usually in a pretty big fancy office. I used to have one for $60ish/ per month. I found mine on craigslist, I don’t remember the name but they were a big company and pretty easy to deal with.

The simplest solution for privacy is to get a private mailbox (PMB). It is similar to a P.O. Box, but allows for a more appropriate looking address (i.e. 1234 S Memorial RD, Suite 501, Anytown, CA 90028).

The price is very reasonable. Check The UPS Store, or look for a locally owned mail box service. The customer service will usually be better if the owner runs the business.

Office space, even shared space, is way too expensive. Unless you have a big enough operation to hire a full time office position (answering phones, letter writing, satisfaction calls, scheduling), then why add extra expenses?

Im no lawyer but when I bought my house my lawyer asked if I wanted a “Declaration of Homestead,” and I guess it helps protect my home against being attached to a lawsuit

My dog must be a lawyer cos every time a stranger turns up he declares Whose homestead this is.

Woof

2 Likes