Old Castle is useless

The wife and I ate at a newer restaurant the other night. The entrance way was made out of tempered glass. Every pane had scratches that were caused by fabricating debris.

Here’s a picture that I took with my iphone. The scratches were MUCH easier to see in person. I’m wondering if there’s anyway a camera could capture all the scratches that were there? It would make a very interesting picture to show to people when talking about fab. debris.

Dan has some awesome pics on his site of badly scratched glass.

Stopscratchedglass.com? The picture there on the homepage is the only picture I see of actually scratched glass… If I could get a camera to capture exactly what the eyes see it would be more dramatic then that picture, if you can imagine that!

It’s interesting that the Old Castle stamp is visable on every pane. Probably 12 panes just in the entrance way.

If I wanted to get into construction clean up I would mail a fab. debris education packet to every construction company and glass supplier in the area with pictures like this…

It’s amazing that Old Castle even stays in business. Every time time I come across scratched glass it’s their stamp I see.:confused:

That’s why I think they should change their name to Old Crapple!
They are unparalleled in the amount of FD laden glass produced. Not to say they are the only ones but it’s so bad I had one bid where I could see the FD from 5ft away on a set of interior french doors. I wish I had my camera that day!:eek:

Look at this pic. This is what I have been dealing with on my government job everyday. We wont even touch the stuff with a blade at all. I left them at home so there is no chance at all. First look at the lower right of the glass, nice crack. And look at all the little crap on the glass. Those at little pitts, chips and hair scratches all over the place. Ah the lowest bidder so it figures.

Old Crapple Glass hahahaha classic!

That is some major crap Ray!:eek:
They should be getting the glass supplier to replace that stuff at his expense.:mad:

iv never seen this fabricating debris here n england . but there is a lot of the new glass that is distorted and not flat . so much so that when you stand more than 6 feet off the glass it shimmers and you cant see through it . maybe the glass is so thin it bends or something
90% of the glass i clean is double glazed units and it always is stamped “toughened” , probaby this is the same a tempered in america .

I’m sure toughened is tempered. Remember just because you haven’t seen FD doesn’t mean you haven’t run across it. It’s a microscopic defect so you might never see it.

thats interesting , seems i will probably not see it until its too late . i think its lucky here in that the fact that glass is cleaned so often ,so that if its 20 year old glass , hopefully faults showed up way back when. im very wary of working on any new glass , one thing iv noticed is that on the brand new houses wooden frames now must be fitted as standard and these windows arent easy as they have a false divider made of wood down the middle so it looks like a double window but is really just one pane of glass

recently a guy stopped me for a chat when i was cleaning the front of a house and gave me his card.he has a business going round replacing faulty double glazing and offered to "give me a drink " if i see any faulty stuff and send it his way. but due to the recession people are wary of spending at the minute and im thinking if i mention their faulty glass ,my customers might think its something i did . the faults i see arent scratches ,just double glazing that has “blown” and full of condensation

OK, good! I thought I was the only one who felt this way!

Most of the Old Castle glass i see here in Michigan is replacement glass. I’ll be working away and then i hit a piece of old castle.

If there were an award for the worst glass around Old Castle would win every year. Of course Pella gets an honorable mention for worst use of low-e coatings!:eek:

Yes. I have to agree that Old Castle Glass is crap. I was doing a very nice, relatively new house about a month ago. I saw their label and was shocked to see their glass in a high end home. So I was scrubbing a regular sized double hung window with a 10" scrubber and the window cracked. I was scrubbing kinda hard but in 15 years I have never broken a window by scrubbing it before. They told me no worry because a bunch of IG units have already failed on their new house and they’re fighting with Old Castle.

Hey hey. I know the post is old but I had to update. Wish me luck. Cleaning a major hotel over the next 5 days. Guess who is on the stamp? You guessed it. It’s really sad cause they have a beautiful high wall of glass in the front of the place. FD all over the thing and the rest of the hotel. I’ll take some pics. Pointed it out to the customer and they were major ****ed. I mean like storm off up into their office ****ed. I thought he was going to come out and tell me to go home and then I have to pull out the contract an make him pay anyway. But he cooled off and told me he is going to bring it up next week when the BIG BOSS come in for the inspection and he is going to try and push for legal action. I told him good luck and if he needs more info to let me know. I’ll point him over to Mr. Fields and maybe he can help in that regard. Oh well looks like the blades are left at home once again. I’ll tell you, it looks like I’m going to save a bunch of money on my car insurance if I go with Gieco but I think I’ll be saving more on new razors this year.

Make sure you wear your PPE for all the chemicals you’ll need to do the job.:smiley: