OneRestore damaged glass the second I applied, windows ruined :(

I recently used OneRestore to remove some stubborn hard water stains. This was a recommendation from a long time window cleaner. The windows are now permanently marked from where the OneRestore was applied. I tried cerium oxide and a buffer pad to remove, and it worked some, but not enough. The homeowners would like me to replace their large picture windows if I can not restore to normal. I talked to the company that produces OneRestore and I am not getting help. Can anyone here help please?

You said that you used a buffer pad with cerium oxide. This begs some more info.

1. Lots of folks here use OneRestore. Did you use it exactly as the instructions read? Do you have prior experience with OneRestore? The directions probably state to “test in an inconspicuous area…” Did you?
  2. What percentage of purity was the cerium oxide?
  3. Did you use a good electric buffing machine to polish with the cerium?
  4. Was the glass treated or coated?

Of course the customer wants the windows replaced if you can’t provide quality results. So would I. You have insurance right?

1 Like

You are most likely experiencing “Tin Etch Haze” - This happens can happen fairly frequently with One Restore if the window pane is put together backwards. Whats supposed to be inside of the 2 panes is on the outside.

It’s recommended as @Trenchfeet said to test it in a small area of the glass before use.

Im sorry to hear this happened to you. ( Ive done this myself unfortunately )

1 Like

Insurance wont help if he was working on the glass Unless he has care custody and control I thing its called?

Now if he was walking by the window and dropped his ladder through it, it would likely be covered. ( weird right )

2 Likes

I have heard of people fixing this like you described. So its possible!

I have a friend who has over a decade of window washing experience and he showed me how to use it on one of this clients homes. I came back and used it how he had shown me with out testing it first. I should have tested first. The cerium oxide was a high purity and I used a polishing pad on a hand drill. The glass is not treated. I have insurance but… they dont cover damage to windows unless I upgrade my insurance. Which I did, but the event occured before I upgraded.

You may be right, the etching occured immediately, the glass is already looking very worn. I should have tested.

Yes, I had the basic insurance and I didn’t realize that working on windows was not covered. I upgraded and am covered now but I imagine they will ask me when the event occured if I file a claim.

I used the cerium oxide with some results, but not enough to be satisfactory. And it seems to cause micro scratches in the glass when I really go for it. I kept a spray bottle handy to keep the glass wet. Micro scratches would be fine if it cleared the marks but these big picture windows have the afternoon sun shinging through and it is just so noticeable that there is no way i can remove it all without just polishing the whole glass surface right off. Maybe an experienced pro. I talked to the glass shop in town and they didn’t really help. How can I tell if the windows are backwards?

Super pricey - https://shopwindowcleaningresource.com/tin-side-detector.html

But it works.

How much to replace the window ?

$1200-$1500.

Just curious, did you use it in direct sunlight?

I think it was in the sunlight. I have been informed this can cause the whitening or smoking to occur.

If it’s a double pane and kinda newer , I would call the manufacturer and see if they can just change the outside pane? Not he intere window unit , Might be cheaper

They make it sound so nice, ahhh, OneRestore. The magic potion.

It would sound a little different if someone said, “Yeah, just hit it with some hydrochloric acid. Should do the trick.”

MSDS sheets are our friends.

2 Likes

I really hate to say this, but I think you’re gonna have to eat it on this one.

I’ve removed tin-etch haze before (nothing I caused). It was super labor intensive, and I only achieved maybe an 80% improvement in the appearance of the glass. I wouldn’t attempt it again.

A seasoned glass restoration expert should be able to fix it, but their fee is probably going to be close to that of replacing, depending on where they are and how far they have to travel.

If I were going to attempt restoring it myself (and I’m not recommending it) I would try and get a couple of @Henry’s wobble wheels with the slow release cerium rings. Combine that with a good quality electric buffer, and see how it goes.

Not really when you think of the consequences. Been thinking of buying one of these. Good to hear they work.
What’s the idea of this thing Shine it on the glass and ?
You can use it in sun light ?

True and yea it will sorta shine back a different color if its reversed.

Ohh man:( Hate to hear they want ya to replace the windows bro! I never use that stuff. I used a much less complicated solution and yes it works. Did a small area first of course :clap:

1 Like