Our first print advertising

go4dabukz: That’s fantastic. I hope you do well. Some observations or suggestions: I use black and white fliers that cost me $15 for 500. They are very cheap, but they work just as well as fliers twice the price. It would seem that starting as cheap as possible with advertising pieces that are left at the door is the best way. After seeing what cheap fliers can do u then have something to build on and experiment with. If u do expensive first, u may be wasting money.

Do you print these yourself? and Do you think that more affluent communities expect high quality(as in physically, not in content) flyers? Maybe black and white, but on higher quality paper?

no actually I just design the first one and then I take it to a copy place that prices like this:
1-99: 5 cents each
100-299: 4 cents each
300 and up: 3 cents each

Higher-end communities still respond to my fliers. They recognize that many service companies are small mom and pops. I’ve been in the construction field for a period of time and you would be surprised how much rich people I ran into that hired 3 man companies that obviously did not have elaborate marketing. Although quality is a factor, do not think that quality of material will be more important than the offer. Focus on the offer. Experiment with the offer first. Design your flier in a way that is professional and attractive. Also- I think leaving bus. cards is a waste because they have no offer, nothing to draw customers in. They are easy to throw away without looking at.

I don’t think quality of paper (like brightness or weight) is the most important thing for fliers. I’ve experimented with different colors and weights and nothing has changed the ROI (return on investment) but the quality of the sales pitch on the ad.

I know it’s not THE MOST IMPORTANT, but I’ve had people comment on how they get all these junky computer printed flyers and that my postcards and such will really stand out against what they consider junk mail. I figured that using a heavier weight flyer, might do something similar.

I totally agree with Acclaim on this matter… I print my fliers four to a page and have them printed and cut at office depot. I use the heaviest card stock they have so really I create a nice looking postcard/flier for about $.04 each.

In other words… 2000 fliers = $80

The card stock and size have been key in people keeping them. I can’t tell you how many times I have gone into a customers home and seen my flier on their bulletin board, fridge, etc…

Just this morning I went to do an estimate for someone who got my flier 7 months ago.

I guess when you combine the reasoning for using a “fancy” flier and the reasoning for using a business card. You get a postcard.

Works for me.

Out of that much fliers, what is the closing percentage and, according to you, why? Do you give coupon fliers? That is what I have been doing.

I’m all for experimentation. Every market is different, so u have to reach your market. I’m sure you’ll do great. You ask the right questions. I’m still in the building mode myself so I’m right there with ya.

It is really hard for me to tell what the exact closing percentage is. I have a couple of other things going for me. But I do know i get 3-4 phone calls every day.

I only got one email quote request last week. But she wants two of her properties done. So does that count for 2???

Right now I am trying to put out 2000-2500 fliers a week. I am also doing mailers to previous customers and prospects that I never closed. On top of that I send out a post cards to two new subdivisions where the houses are $1mil. +… I can’t get in there and I am getting too old to jump the fence. No more midnight commando flier missions for me. :smiley:

3-4 calls a day may not sound like much but the weather here is not so great. As I type it is freezing rain.

People are WAY more responsive when the sun is shining.

and BTW…

No… I don’t do coupons. I don’t believe in them. My demographic doesn’t respond well.

Last year I tried a thousand fliers with the $79 starter price. I got a lot of price shoppers who freaked when I said $290 in an out.

If my customer is motivated by a low price… I will eventually loss that customer to someone else’s lower price.

I hear alot that I considerably more expensive than the others in my area. I just smile and say, “that’s because I am better.” I usually get the job.

Louie:

How long does it take you to had out that many fliers? Do u have someone else do it and if so, do u pay them per hr or per flier? Thanks for your responses. Your coupon response is something I will definitely chew on.