Outside commercial sales rep

I started about a month ago for a window cleaning company here in KC. He is kinda of smaller. I do commercial sales only. We do about one County only right now( very big County though). I’m pretty good at it. I get sales all the time.

We can’t do high rises or anything quite yet, we can only maybe go about 4 stories high. I’m just not making any real money. Here is my comp plan…

$0-5000 in sales-no base and 50% commission
$5000-15000 in sales-$2000 a month base and 20% commission
$15000-20000 in sales-$2500 a month and 20% commission
$20000-25000 in sales-$3000 a month and 20% commission
And then once I reach $25,000 in sales I’ll cap at $3500 a month and still 20% commission

And then snice I’m pretty much growing with him, he’s talking of in the future making me the head of sales etc.

I get paid on whatever they spend in a month. For example, they get their windows cleaned twice a month $20 each time, that’s $40 a month, I make $20 bucks(50%). Not much, but I’m only there maybe 10 min.

I don’t know though. I’m only doing smaller stuff. I’m really good at it, but at this rate, it could be forever before I’m on salary. In 2 days, I brought in $240 worth of sales, a month that is. So, I mean, I could get there. I just feel like it could take forever.

Is this worth my time? And should I get some type base pay even at first? I have to use my own car and gas too.

He does give my little spiffs too. Like if get a $100 in sales a day, he’ll give my an extra $20 on top of my commission. And etc

But any feedback on this I would be more than gracious for. I mean, this is my career and future I’m considering here. My lively hood, big deal!

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Respectfully, Bakr

P.S. I’ve been in sales awhile and know my stuff.

I’d move on. That’s a lot of window cleaning to sell and the owner is trying to get away with having no skin in the game.

2 Likes

Dude of you can sell like that, get a guy that can follow you around and perform the service, or you perform the service. Dump him and do your own new gig where commissions are 100%. :money_with_wings:

2 Likes

Never understood capping a sales guy’s compensation. Disincentive to perform after a certain level is like cutting off your own nose to spite your face.

1 Like

This could be a regional thing, but as far as I understand anything over 3rd floor is considered high rise. Is this guys company insured? Looks like you don’t stand to make much for lining up jobs. If you can hit those sales numbers then equipment up and go to town.

1 Like

Gotcha. What part do you think is bad? And should I at least be getting some type of base at first still?

Well, it would be just capping my base. I would still make as much commission as I wanted. Make sense?

Yes, he’s insured.

Could one of you guys text me? I would only take up a few minutes of your time. 816-739-0162. Thanks in advance! =)

No base. I think the base should be very high but, there should still be a base if you’re performing.

Also, you’re not really making any money until you sell over $5k. Have you been able to actually sell that much?

Not yet.

You only started one month ago, that seems like a pretty good gig. If you do $20,000 in sales that is $6,000 earned a month.

If they do the job a second time are you getting your commission again? Sometimes it will snowball if you get commission every time the job is repeated.