Oxidation / Screen burn

What are you guys using ? What’s your procedure ?

I rarely run across it but I have been able to clean it up with Diamond Magic.

Ya Diamond Magic works. I’ve tried it , an have had success.

I used One Resore on a job last year , An it came off like butter , but always afraid of getting the Tin side when using it.
I know old timers used oven cleaner I’ve never even tried it. Mayne once back in the days.

Most people don’t want to pay for it , my price might be a little crazy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: but what’ are ya gonna do.

Had a job today every wondow was burnt. Metal screens suck.
She was ok with it though said they look better then they were.
So far this year. I jace come across only 2 jobs with oxidation.

1 Like

Yea, any of that stuff you have do a test section in a corner.

1 Like

A year or so ago, I had a Ryobi cordless “corner cat” sander hanging around. I had a job at a home I cleaned a few weeks before where she wanted both screen burn and sprinkler deposits off about a dozen ground level windows. I had the idea of taking the corner cat and attaching a white scotchbrite pad cut to fit he platen (the rubber backing pad the sanding sheet attaches to), and a couple of drops of diamond magic on the pad. I did all those windows in one pass in about 90 minutes. You will eventually wear out the platen, but a replacement pack of 5 is about $18 on amazon so totally worth it.

1 Like

I bough this cordless for some small different scenarios

Works good ! an for cut ups it’s the way to go.

The pad is from glass Renu

BTW those polishing pads from glass renu are sweet !!

1 Like

Can you restore a Wndow if you haze it ?

I don;t think so.

Tried Cerium Oxide?

Yes, but it’s labor intensive. I did the inside of a small storefront once (pre-existing damage, so I got paid for it, thankfully). Cerium with a rotary polisher took it off, but was mighty time consuming. Took me all day to do 4 large-ish plates of glass.

If I were to ever attempt restoring tin-etch haze again, I would try and get those pivoting polishing rings @Henry was selling awhile back. One of the most challenging aspects of glass restoration is keeping the darn pads flat on the glass.

1 Like

I’ve tried it ! how much water do you mix with it ? the funny thing is ive been in this business for so long , but when I first started out the companies I worked for never restored glass. I knew nothin about it. Came in here, An started learning , I don’t offer it just occasionally dabble. The one thing I’m concerned with is the oxidation for some reason it aggravates me . I want an easy way to remove it , An one restore is it, but the tint etch haze now that Alex says it’s time intense… it’s going to make me not want to use it.

2 parts water to 1 part C.O.

You will find restoration work is time consuming no matter the method used, when you get to a haze or a scratch. Most charge by the square foot or figure their time some other way. On commercial glass, it’s probably a good option (restoration). On a double hung that the glass company will replace the glass and regas the IG unit for 150 bucks, probably not a good option unless it’s small.

I am still working with this technology because I believe the process can be made much more efficient and practical. It can be made much easier. To accomplish this we really need to know at any moment during the process exactly what we are doing and precisely when we are “cutting stain”. The more tough stains do require a two step process. That being SiC and a cerium or optical silica. Cerium works better. Even diamond has been somewhat successful. Nonetheless check out this latest article I did on my blog. I have also done another article for the Window Cleaner published from the UK that we are waiting for. It should be in the next issue. But in the mean time check out this post. I think you will find it interesting.

Henry