Panicking: website down, developer “permanently closed”

Just discovered that our website isn’t loading. I had purchased hosting through our web developer. I just looked them up, and they’re permanently closed.

Any web gurus that can help me straighten this out, would be hugely appreciated.

@ChrisTripleC

Alex do you have log ins for anything? Do you know where it was hosted?

I have my domain login for godaddy. The dev provided the hosting, which was very affordable. He sent me instructions last night to update the nameservers, but that didn’t fix it. I’m going to be in touch with him about taking over the hosting and getting it back up.

Until I can get that straightened out, I’m thinking of just redirecting our domain to our google business page. The website is all we’ve got on our vehicle for contact info, so I figure that would be better than nothing at this point.

It sometimes takes 24 hours for the name to switch. If you get it back I’d suggest moving it to siteground.

I’m strongly considering a2 hosting

The only one I recommend is siteground. Bluehost HostGator they’re all owned by the same sucky company. Dreamhost is good too but I don’t like they’re admin panel.

I recommend Interserver for hosting. It cheap and since its a smaller company their customer service is on point.

The second the website goes live again, I HIGHLY recommend that you make a backup and keep it in both physical and cloud places. That way if it goes down again you can take matters into your own hands and get it back up asap.

1 Like

It looks like at the moment your SSL certificate is invalid, so I’m getting s security warning. You are going to need a SSL to get it back up and rocking.

1 Like

Hi Chris, thanks for the feedback. I went with the “free ssl” that came with the a2hosting package. Didn’t realize that it was self-signed, so basically useless.

When I updated my nameservers in godaddy to point to the new hosting, it broke my gmail integration. So I switched back for now and am just using the free Google website I threw together.

Do you know if I will need to port my domain over to a2 in order to get the email working properly?

Hey Alex, how did everything work out? Did you fix the email issue? The developer wasn’t willing to send you the site files?
Your email depends on the dns records. You do not necessarily need to port domain to a2.
I see you’re still with the google site. The link structure has changed (Google is still returning pages in the search results that don’t exist anymore). You might still have time to redirect them or recreate them for a new site. Also, I see your SSL cert is still not up.

Let me know if you still need help.

Sorry for the late reply.

Yeah, haven’t had any spare time to work on this stuff. I’m 90% booked from now till mid July, and the calls are still piling up. So it hasn’t been super high priority.

From what I could gather the dev has some health issues going on in his family. So I haven’t felt like pestering him if I can eventually get to having a site I like better than the one I had. (that was a trainwreck of a sentence; hope you can get my gist).

Thanks for your offer of help. I think I’ll probably let it sit for now, until I can dedicate some time to it.

My issue with the email and the DNS is that once I change my nameservers with godaddy to point to a2, I can no longer edit the MX records to work with gmail :confused:

Hey, Alex. Nice to be busy through the summer slowdown.

Once you point away from godaddy you cant edit dns records there but you can edit the mx records in Cpanel.

Alternatively check out cloudflare. You can point the domain there, edit the MX records easy, get a free ssl cert all without changing the host.

Are you using gsuite?

Andy

UpEngine