Pink Barbie got closed while I typed this long response

This articles suggestion of just giving up, in my opinion could be similar to all of the car recalls of recent, this scenario would be preposterous in the car world, but we are expected to accept it.

Scenario- Car Brakes don’t work properly

-Manufacturer- “Don’t know what your talking about, we’re doing the same things we have always done.”

-Car Owner- "But my brakes used to stop alot sooner?

-Manufacturer- “No must be the shoes your wearing, cause we’re doing the same as always, you should probably drive barefoot.”

-Car Owner- “But now my car is totalled!”

-Manufacturer- “You must have been wearing shoes, your on your own.”

-Car Owner- “Yes, I wore shoes, Ive been wearing shoes for thirty years without a problem!”

-Manufacturer- “Sorry, We sort of implied it to everyone, sometimes its printed on peel off stickers that might have gotten pulled off before you got there, We’ve found its just better for you to drive barefoot to avoid this possibility.”

-Outside advisor- “You should have probably had a waiver signed before you drove with shoes.”

-Car owner- “How about you give me some freaking brakes that work and none of us would have been in this situation!”

We don’t have any fungus, but we have Stain overspray which is identical in shape and size of the fungus, it does not come off with scrubbing wool, or woolit, only a blade will take it off, and the difference between a scrubbed window and bladed window are definitely noticeable, so because of it my customers have to suffer. The reason there is overspray is because someone else decided to cut corners (like the window manufacturers) and save the labor of properly masking off windows, so everyone loses except the corner cutters that are making fast cash.

Settling to drive barefoot does not protect the next guy that is wearing shoes!

(Theoretically we would actually be the mechanics, but either way, we’re both stuck with an inferior product;))

I like the analogy Brett. It’s of interest to note that when these window manufacturers start using a low-e equivalent on all sides of the glass they will actually have to produce FD free glass so as to avoid the dreaded fish eye reaction or other low-e reactions to FD. So if they can do it for that why not on all tempered and heat strengthened? Inherent condition, my foot!

Brett,
One thing I can say is that the the NTSB (national transportation safety Board) documents everything that consumers complain about on automobiles and it is documented on their website. If it becomes evident that a defect needs to be addressed (recall), It happens. As window cleaners, we dont have a NTSB that will go to bat for us. I stopped doing CCU’s because of the issue and careless trades that work on jobsites. I have reduced my scraping to just lightly spot scraping when needed to remove paint specks and artillery fungus. If its been oversprayed to death, I get a waiver or I walk.

Steve

Steve, do you get a waiver to protect you from preexisitng scratches?

come the freak on…people know if there are scratches on their windows… and if they say hey you scratched this. I pulled out the razor drag it across the glass and omg no scratch hmm come on people.

I agree Severn there should be the common sense thing but if they sue you over it then you are at the mercy of a judge and common sense may be out the window. People may be aware of scratches but if the windows are really dirty they may see scratches they forgot about and then all of a sudden it’s your problem. A waiver at least offers peace of mind.

Tony,

When at the first 1/4 of a razor blade I hear or see the “FD” I stop I inform, I get something signed or I walk…Quite simple in my book.

But you can prove 99% of all scratches to the client, they are caused by rusty blades, drywall mud, morter etc…a razor blade is a very specific type of scratch!!! A good window cleaner can tell and defend one self…and this is only an issue for new construction not NOT regular window cleaning!

I understand you feelings Severn. Allow me to play Devil’s advocate for a minute.
If I do a job where the windows haven’t been cleaned in years and are absolutely horrible I will be uncovering things I can’t see or hear until it’s too late. Even if the windows aren’t to bad once I hear or see FD (and I’d never assume responsibility for determining the absence or presence of FD) it’s too late the damage is done. There are just to many variables for me to take the risk of not having the waiver up front.

Tony,
We dont scrape every inch on initial cleanings. I doesnt need to be done on every house. I used to do that and wasted many hours of the day for years doing that until my brother told me he thought it was rediculous to do that. That was back in 1995 or 1996. Back then, I was doing some damage quite often (probably like 10 jobs per year). Luckily I was able to figure it out early on that something was wrong with the glass. I had no knowledge with FD at all back them. I am so glad that I listened to my brothers advice back then. It saved me a great deal of time and a [B]great deal of liability[/B]. Im all about getting glass as clean as possible and the “WOW Effect” but scraping every window is uncalled for in my opionion.

Steve

I understand your position Steve. My concern is that unless your the only person ever to clean those windows there is potential for you to be blamed and w/out some sort of waiver it seems to me the potential for liability remains.

I see your point Tony. I have been in that position a few times over the years. Most of the time I can fill them in on my knowledge that I have gained over the years. The crazy stuff I have seen 95% of the time does match our cleaning methods at all (sideways scratches-circular scratches-scratches that are around all of the frames due to the painter sanding the frames to paint them). Brick scratches that have clay embedded in them is commonly what I have been accused of doing more than other types of scratches. If I am accused of scratches, I dont give the customer the upper hand until I investigate the damage (basically I dont try to appear to them that I will just replace their glass just because I cleaned it and the scratches were present afterwards). For the record, I am honest and have replaced glass that was scratched by me without arguing and trying to dodge it. If I did it, I will replace it.

Steve