Plastic Sheet On Glass?

Hello,

I was asked to bid on removing some plastic film on the inside of some commercial windows. It seems to be stuck pretty good. I was called to look at some scratches on the glass and realized it is not the glass that is scratched it is the plastic sheeting that was never removed upon installation. Once that is removed the glass will look great. Does any one know how to remove this without scratching the glass underneath? It seems to be on there pretty good. It looks to be weathered. I tried to pick at it but wanted to consult with any one who is experienced first before I bid on it. The company said they will wait on me to do some consulting. I have tried to post pictures before but not smart enough to figure it out. I can send some pics on my phone to any one who is interested. Thank you in advance!

Alex
Clean and Bright Window Cleaning & More
1-806-448-8965

How long has it been there, and how much area is it covering?

It’s a horrible job & unless you are desperate or need the experience - I’d pass. When you do get it off, it will come off in small pieces, rarely as a whole sheet. Figure on 4 times the amount of time you’d think it would take & take lot’s & lot’s of new blades. I’ve never had luck with ammonia or other suggested detergents. Once, on a particular cheap film I managed to get it off with a heat-gun, but you have to know what you are doing & guessimate limits of the window before it could crack, using side to side movements. It’s a horrible job - & my pricing usually puts people off.

I am not sure. And the manager did not know either. They just recently occupied the building. It is a chain of Cash Stores. It only has 3 3x6 windows and a door. Not much glass but it does look pretty bad. It does not make a difference right now if the windows are clean.

I did think about a heat gun. Soften it up a bit. I would be afraid about cracking the glass though.

There are some horror story’s about that here…Larry had some I thought…

What about using denatured alcohol?

I wouldn’t use a heat gun, but you might try a hair dryer. Back in my Post Construction cleaning days, we had to remove the protective film from big expensive stainless appliances. The hair dryer worked for us. A few times we did encounter window film that wouldn’t peel off. I had to carefully and slowly razor it off. Takes forever. I never could find anything that would penetrate that film, to loosen it. I don’t believe I ever scratched any glass by razoring the film off. Very tedious.

Well, it seems that I will walk away from this one. Unless they agree to pay me what I bid on it. Everything that was posted was very helpful and insightful. If they still want me to do it I will try to post a during and after pics. Hopefully I can figure that out.
Thanks again,
Alex
1-806-448-8965

Use a heat gun. Set on Medium setting. Hold the gun 6 to 8 inches away from the surface. Keep the gun moving. Start in a corner, soften the sheet, use your scraper the lift the corner. work the gun back and forth a few inches ahead of where you are pulling. Patience will get you there.

I’d price it at an hourly rate most likely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I priced it as 8 hours @ 75.00/hour. Either way I would not mind walking away if they do not accept.

Alex
1-806-448-8965

My too, tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk