Pre-treat patio floor before PW'ing?

Hey guys,

Got a question for you Power Washing Types:

I have a lady that wants us to PW here back patio/porch. The catch is–at one time it was covered in that crappy green indoor/outdoor carpet. Most has been ripped off and trashed. However the glue residue is still there. It looks like mastik from vinyl tile. My question is what is the best way to pretreat this stuff before we power wash it? Should I scrape it off with a floor scrapper then put a dwelling type chemical on it before we PW it? What are your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Bert, I have no clue. I’m sure scraping as much off as possible first would help. And pre-treat as you mentioned, I have no clue with what, but maybe hot water power washing would help too.

My wife’s grandparents house suffered a fire. The fire started on the front porch, which had that outdoor carpet. During the restoration, I tried to clean it. It would not budge. Hot water and all the chemicals under the sun would not clean it. Unless somebody knows of a special chemical, I’m not sure pressure washing will remove it.

I would suggest either sand blasting or grinding the surface down with a rentable diamond grinder.

Thanks Sean and Micah. I did a search on thegrimescene.com forum about this and they are saying the same thing. No chemical are 100%, but a grinder is the best way. One guys said from his own experience that the grinder worked. It’s messy, but it works.

Thanks again fellas…

Anyone else?

Sounds like a good idea… good luck… keep us posted & let us know how it turns out.

From the old paint store days, I would offer up Acetone to soften the glue up for scraping, atleast that’s what used to suggest. Nail Polish remover is a softer and less expensive version of Acetone, but it will evaporate quickly so you would have to soak the immediate area of scraping not the entire porch.

The concrete will probably still remain stained from the carpet residue so if they aren’t happy with the initial pressure wash, you might be better off offering a solid color concrete stain to coat the entire thing, it would probably save you time in the long run and they could have it back to concrete gray or bright red, whatever their heart desired!

Just don’t smoke around the acetone or have pilot lights etc, or it will be a real quick removal of the glue:D

Grinding is the only way to go, unfortunately.

Turbo nozzle ? no ?

Hey Bert,
Alot depends on the what condition the wood is in underneath all of that glue. If it has deteriorated and began to crack then you most likely won’t be able to do much in terms of changing the appearance. I would for sure use a surface cleaner to do the task.

Whenever I run into adventurous tasks in pressure washing I turn to www.thegrimescene.com or sunbrite supply's website or I make a call to them and they always steer me in the right direction.   If you can take pics then sunbrite could probably tell you exactly what is the best route.  

Hope that helps.

didn’t knew that was wood, then disregard my post about the turbo nozzle.

Dwight,

good call about the grimescene. I did reference their site already. I view their stuff often.

Unfortunately, it isn’t wood. Its concrete. But thanks for the tip, Bud!

The only application I reccomend a turbo nozzle for is concrete curbing.

As far as the glue on the concrete is concerned… the glue is actually stronger then the concrete. If you apply enough pressure to remove the glue, you’ll be applying more then enough pressure to destroy the concrete.

You would have to have a chemical to disovle the glue. Unfortunatly, I don’t think one exist. And even if one did, you do have the problem of the staining.

The great thing about grinding is you take care of everything. You’ll remove the glue, and the stain. You just don’t want to go down too far, as you could expose the aggregate, which may or may not be a big deal to the customer.

If you do grind the porch, It would the be the opportune time to acid stain the porch. It’s pretty basic to do.

You might try using a Methlyene Chloride based paint stripper. If it will work for you it is easily applied using a paint roller or brush. If it is going to work you will know in a matter of minutes. Caution: It is a known carcinogen.

Darn kid’s burnin’ bags of poop again!