Price increase push back

I increased prices on a large commercial site this Jan. The client has paid all the invoices up to this point and has not balked at the price increase.

I get a email from them claiming they were unaware of any price increase…6 months after the price increase.

Sounds very shady. Like they are trying to get over on me. Thoughts?

Don’t budge. You know your worth and your local industry. You’re a seriously hard worker, blood sweat, and tears. Charge according and don’t look back. Don’t second guess yourself. :muscle::muscle:

2 Likes

Find the email in your sent inbox. Screenshot it, with the time/date stamp, and send it to them.

Can’t play dumb then!

1 Like

I didn’t send price increase emails in 2023. I figured with the blatant inflation that has taken place it would have been obvious that prices were expected to go up. This guy has paid 5 invoices and never said a word!

Two of the sites only went up like 60 bucks…I should have increased by like $120.
Now he is trying to withhold June payments for 3 days of work I have already completed.

At this point, I just want to collect my money and tell this guy to go kick rocks.

One site I increased the price substantially, but he also added more glass to that site. He is getting a 5 bldg commercial complex for like $700 bucks (outsides only) (after previously charging mid $580

The site should be pulling no less than $1200 bucks…

Always tell customers ahead of time about any price increase.

Maybe he never noticed lol

Oh man. I would have a hard time remaining professional in this circumstance. “Like, dude! Have you been under a rock the last two years? Everything is going up! And you’ve been paying the new prices for the last 5 months!?! Refusing to pay for services rendered is theft of services. I do not wish to take legal action against you, but I will if needed.”

4 Likes

Exactly how I feel in this situation. Esp just being a solo owner/op. 3 of this guys accounts only went up 60$ per visit. These are large commercial storefront strips with about 5 hrs of work at each location. In the Texas heat…if you could see my living situation you would probably snap. My house took some termite damage years ago, and I just can’t seem to get up enough to get all the repairs done (without DIY). My living room is plywood subfloor. And this guy is trying to shaft me over 50$ price increases.

I will admit I increased one site price from 500$ to 700$ but the place is HUGE and its a trip to get there.

The way I see it, clients who act like this are not conducive to success.

Absolutely Amazing! Still debating on cutting them loose. It’s about a 20k account for the year…but it has become a PITA at this point. I have plenty of other accounts paying way more, just less frequency.

Reason I don’t like commercial work is it’s a pain in the ass to get paid or some plain don’t want to pay.

I had one who was giving me the run around until I just gave up and told them I’ll be sending them to collections.

Got my check next week lol

Nor should you have to, but the 500 to 700 is a big jump in price. That one I would have said something. Lol
You can’t go up 40% and not say something 5-10 yes.

1 Like

You jace to expand the top and dissolve the bottom, but one can’t happen till that top is expanded, so when the time comes either raise up to your top pay , and let them make the decision.

It could be that the accounts payable department and the manager who approves the vendor and the invoices coming in didn’t communicate this. Especially if an invoice was more than a previous cleaning. Sometimes the AP people are just used to paying out certain invoices and maybe they get swamped and just start cranking out checks without really looking at the numbers…until they balance the books and need to hunt down where the mistake was.

Then they go and hit up the manager, manager don’t know whats up etc…
Just a thought.

Also, that is quite a good chunk of consistent income coming from an outfit that likes you guys. I wouldn’t give them up at all. Maybe try to figure out what the real issue was and do what you can to iron them out?

On this one, talk to the manager and if they have been around a while he’ll know it was underbid. Just tell them this one was a mistake but you ate it for a while because of whatever reason, but it needs to be up to what standard prices should be.

1 Like

This one is the one I mean. I’ve done this and absolutely HATE doing them but I know I have to or else. I’ve also had success talking to the managers before budget season so I can prep them and feel them out for the increase I need to make.

I just sent them an email to justify my costs. Basically broke it all down to show them they are getting a STEAL since they were bid low. I included the price the sites should be pulling at market adjusted rates, just to show how cheap they are already getting it for even at my “price increase”.

I told them there is no way I can keep doing their glass at 2022 rates.

I am tired of people always trying to get over on me so I am sticking to my guns and the cards can fall where they may.

Dude has been getting some giant sites done for about $60 bucks per hour (pre-tax)…I just can’t do it anymore esp when the heat index is 114f. NOPE!

I appreciate your input as well! I have a tendency to fly off half cocked and am glad I waited to respond. I was down with shingles for a entire week and when I got the news about the prices I almost lost my shit! hahaha. 2023 has been rough.

Start to tell him that’s there’s a big chance he’s going to get another price increase in 2024

1 Like

I had to read up on what shingles is, that sun has got to be fire to you!

I hear you on what you’re going thru with this client.

What if you switched hats for one day and switched gears. (let me tell you, I’ve lost a great many clients over the last couple years, I would kill to be able to have this client of yours so when you say this all I’m seeing is a chance to turn this around)

What if you were able to call each manager (mid week is usually best) and if you can get 5 minutes to talk to them, being to the point but friendly of course, just talk to them. You might be able to make this as profitable as the others.

Because of everything going up, of course they are going to be looking over AP making sure every penny is accounted for.

I think speaking to that manager is going to change things around for your outfit for sure. If they go out to bid, which they probably already have a few times already, they KNOW they are getting a very low price from a more than competent trusted and preferred vendor.

You already have many “pros” going in your favor. There’s a good chance that vibes from AP have reached the manager already, but turning this around can be a game changer man.

I hope this works out.

I hope the shingles end up going away again man, it sounds awful…I’m sure I’ll know for myself soon tho.

Tell me about it.

I showed the client a price breakdown and let them know they are getting a STEAL, so they saw the value in what they are getting and decided to proceed with service at the updated prices. I am training up some part time help on these sites since there are plenty of large plates to help get familiar with pole work and such.

1 Like