Pricing advice

Can someone please help me out by telling me if my prices are to high. I charge by pane of glass but I have a competitor in the area charging about .5-2 per pane so does anyone know what I should do. For example I charge 6 per pane of glass on store front doors but 12 in and out, since its two panes

Is the 0.50¢ per pane guy taking your existing clients often?

If so, imagine what he is really making, even if he doesn’t pay insurance or taxes… do you really expect him to be around a long time at those prices and build a real business?

It’s hard to consider someone that cheap as “a competitor.”

Things can get lost focusing on just a per-pane price sometimes. Price your jobs based on the time it’ll take you to make what you need. I know that’s vague in a sense, but it’s really the answer too.

1 Like

And by the way, don’t race anyone to the bottom - You’ll price yourself out of a job.

If you are the cheapest guy, you’ll be treated like a pauper. Clients won’t respect you.

I’m sure you do amazing work, expect to get paid for the quality you’ll deliver. And be confident when you give your prices. :+1:

2 Likes

Thankyou, I needed that and it helped a lot. I just hope Im not over charging people. I looked into the market pricing a lot and I do fit in it (slightly lower) but Ive ran into more people that didnt like my pricing than people who have. I charge around 2-8 per pane but I will take you advice to try to focus less on the pane per price because your right it does get to my head.

There are so many variables that might be at play. So you are already on the low side for your area, it sounds? You don’t need to answer these here, but here are some ideas to perhaps consider:

Where are you located?
What kinds of clients are you approaching?
What times/days are you prospecting?
Roughly how old are you?
How are you dressed when you come in?
Who do you talk to at the businesses?
Do you have polite rebuttals in mind for the common conversation-stoppers? (We do it ourselves, we have someone already, etc.)
Do you have business cards?
If you smoke, can they smell it?
Do you have years of experience (confidence in yourself)? Or are you new and doing this on the side?
Do you already have the price ready to present when you walk in, or ask to give a quote later?
Are you smiling and making reasonably non-disturbing eye contact?

All of this and more has an effect on your first impression.