Pricing holiday window painting removal

So I didn’t find much in the archives about cleaning off holiday window paintings. I’m talking about the florescent painting that store fronts put up for the holidays or to advertise sales. I’ve got a good idea of how to clean/remove these paintings my question is how do you guys go about pricing them? It’s obviously going to take longer than a normal cleaning. So are you guys charging a flat rate or estimating how long it will take and price that way?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

i do 5 per pane for med size windows

Sent from my XT1254 using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

Is that for one side of the glass? How much is that above your normal price?

i haven’t seen any stores with paint inside, a med window is usually 1- 2 per side for stores

I thanks that answered my question exactly. I wasn’t referring to paint on the inside but rather remove paint from the outside and clean the inside.

i had a bank that the painter used the wrong kind of pain and it was extremely difficult to get off, it took be 4 hours to remove the paint off 23 windows. that was hard, another store )for context) took me 45 min to clean 9 windows. had i known ahead of time, i would have told them that it is tentatively 5 per window but might be 10 if the wrong pain was used

sorry for the typos, i’m writing on a cell phone

That sucks. Jobs like that can blow your hourly average out of the water.

Me too!

I actually enjoyed it my son was with me and i chalk it as a learning experience

You can start with a flat rate and then adjust it as you get to know different painters. If you lick your finger and then rub it on the paint, it’ll give you a little idea how hard it will be to remove.

I’d recommend at least doubling your normal price for the window. If you’re doing $2 i/o on a storefront, charge $4-5 per window to remove paint and clean i/o. But my guide is that a standard storefront (say 12 windows) painted up for a sale, it will take me about 30 minutes to remove and clean outside only.

It depends on what kind of paint was the “wrong” kind. I actually like it when they use like a house paint or some weird paint instead of the fluorescent paints normally used. That glossy stuff is water proof and you can clean over it without having to worry about it getting messed up.

And then you get your can of sprayaway and foam it up and that paint comes off super easy.

The biggest problem I’ve had was an airbrushed window and that was before I discovered the miracle of foaming cleaner on paint.

But after discovering the foaming miracle my biggest problem was a job that was outlined with eyeliner instead of grease pencil. I was like “why won’t these lines come off the glass?” Stupid water proof eyeliner.

Great post Jared! I was thinking why don’t we just teach these people how to paint glass? First we can apply our magic glass treatment (and charge three bux per square foot). Then show them what paint to use (Rustoleum oil based). Blue, red, and green I think are the primary colors. Give it a half hour for the test picture to dry. Then come back and show how easy it is to clean right over the image without it coming off. But how easy it is to scrape off in large thin pieces. And give them a more inexpensive price to remove. But a very inflated price if they do this the wrong way. I always wanted to do a video on this. Cuz painting glass could be done year round for advertising purposes. We could even hook up with a professional window painter and take a percentage from what they would charge if we got them the work. If we had a couple hundred store accounts this could actually make some good money.

Henry

That’s good. I had a job just bomb on me the other day. I was running a 50%off through Groupon (figured Jan is dirt slow and I’d just like to keep moving and spread word of mouth). I didn’t limit the hight and so on and got stuck cleaning a bunch of 4th story windows and averaged $8.50/hr I wasn’t happy by the end of the day. Lol. But word of mouth spreads and I got another job at full price out of it.