Proper squeegee rubber handling

So I switched to ettore rubber a few months ago and love them. They work right out of the pack and last all day and into the next. Yesterday and today I haven’t been able to get through a full job without having to switch to a fresh rubber. This last week had been really hot and I keep my rubbers In the tool box on my truck. I’m wondering if the heat could alter the life of the rubber? Has anyone else had similar issues? How long do you usually get a rubber to last? And does anyone have any tips on extending the life of the rubber so I can clean more windows before they give out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

What problems are you having? I go through maybe 2 per week if I’m really busy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

Rubbers can last a week, a day, or an hour.
It doesn’t take much to affect your results.

Clearing/wiping off particles with a wet sponge will help them last longer…

Any possibility there is oil in the tool box?

Oil rots rubber, and I will bet heat accelerates it.

Even heat itself will degrade rubber. So will UV light.

I’m seeing water streaks left on the windows. I tend to use them till I see this then switch them I do wipe them on my dry towel. I probably burn threw them faster than needed but time is money and I’d rather throw a new one on then mess with one that isn’t working for me

They are in their plastic tub the come in

Do you use a bucket on a belt? If you are getting a line in the same spot every time it may be that the boab has a rough spot and it is nicking your rubber

2013 World Series Champion
Boston Red Sox

I do use a boab. There are a few rough spots in there but I can’t see that they can make contact. But that’s a possibility. I’m going to pull some new rubbers out of the shop and use those tomorrow and see if there is a difference

took me a while to realize that rubbers mess up if not stored right. loose in a hard plastic box they rattle as you drive along and that ruins the edge if it can touch plastic

my opinion,they need to lay flat in a plastic box lined with bubble wrap . the box needs to be just a tad longer than the rubber . i use 14 inch rubber so my box is 14 3/4 long,about 4 inch wide and 4 inch deep . no lid

Do you know if they can damage the edge by bumping into one another?

no.

its my belief if you can stop them touching anything harder than themselves you are ok . it took me trial and error to come up with the box lined with bubble wrap. the box is fixed into my vehicle. if it wasnt fixed it would move about,even by a small amount itd vibrate if loose and could easily cause the rubber edge to mess up. its the vehicle vibration that sets the edge of the rubber moving into contact with other surfaces .

i also think the bubble wrap absorbs almost all movement/vibrations

Leaving your squeegee in your boab overnight does more harm than you think. Take it out each morning & look down the edge to see if you have a crimp. At the end of the day I take the squeegees out & place them flat down on a thick towel in the van. Using a Wagtail with pad folded around protects the rubber.

Hey Jonny, what rubber do you buy that vehicle vibration is enough to mess the leading edges up??
I cut an old poster box down exact size & store the lengths in that, no problems yet with vehicle vibration.

i messed up no end of rubber of all makes till i realized the problem was coming from vehicle vibration/movement and the fact i had my rubber laid in a hard plastic box that wasnt quite long enough [so the rubber didnt lay flat . ]
of course some lengths didnt mess up as they happened by chance to lay in the middle of the pack - which was why it took me a long time to realize .
im using Moerman bought in bulk packs and also Wagtail rubber .

what sort of streaks? Small lines? Big smears?

Try flipping the rubber. It seems like sometimes there is a bad side.

Also try changing the angle at which you work.

Small lines. I can get it to stop if I work the squeegee at a crazy steep angle. Flipping helps. So I’m starting to think the issue doesn’t lay with the rubber. I was thinking about it yesterday and the last three days my squeegee hasn’t been gliding as well and I’ve been cleaning more paint off windows than normal. I’m at the end of this bottle of soap so I’ll buy a new one today and see where that gets me. I’ve got a 900 window job starting Monday so I’m hoping to have this figured out by then. But on the plus side my di tanks and wfp showed up yesterday

What channel are you using? I found with the pulex I have to go steeper than with the ettore. I can’t get the unger channel to work good so I’m going to modify the ergotech to take ettore channels.

I’m using a steccone channel with the clip less handle. I am using a ettore handle with a steeper angle on my 22in channel. I know it varies buy what’s the ideal angle for the rubber to meet the glass?

The ideal angle is whatever feels good all day everyday.

I never had good results with the steccone but that’s just me.

Which ones have you found to be the best? Is et tore the gold standard with channels like it is with everything else?

If I leave my squeegee in my boab all night sometimes the squeegee leans on the rubber depending on how I have put it away, and when I take it out the next morning I have a line right where the rubber meets the top of the boab.