Question on pricing

For those that use square footage for pricing do you use what the customer tells you or do you go on a site like Zillow to get the square footage

Square footage has nothing to do with windows or amounts and styles for bidding

Would highly recommend a system based on window count and style.

3 Likes

Responsibid has the option to use square footage or per pain or window count. They have a very complex system in the backend for square foot bidding. But it is very wise to always have in writing that the bid is subject to on site evaluation.

2 Likes

Depending on how you price the windows, square footage of the house could be a way to get an idea of what kind of job youā€™re getting into if itā€™s sight unseen. If itā€™s a huge home with a lot of square footage then itā€™s more likely to have glass thatā€™s difficult to access so you might use the size of the home to adjust your baseline rates up if your giving a bid over the phone. Not sure how you can bid a home on just square footage though. Maybe if you were painting it, but most charge by the piece of glass since thatā€™s what we clean. Without a piece count square footage is kinda irrelevant.

You can have them send you pics of all sides of their house.

I just have a chat with them and find out what style of windows they have and give them a ballpark over the phone. We let them know I need to ā€˜firm upā€™ the price when I get there in case they canā€™t figure out a two story palladium isnā€™t a ā€œdouble hungā€. :flushed:

I have heard going off of square footage-- but normally to get a ballpark idea like dcbrock mentions.

Now if you are familiar with the neighborhood and know the kinds of homes, the sq footage from similar homes will give you an ideaā€” BUT, Iā€™d like to go see the job first-- then follow up from the ā€œball park estimateā€ to the real cost.