Scratched glass incident on $3 Million home

I do have to test that next chance I get. Stucco comes off with soapy water. Concrete is caustic stuff; we’ll see.

Just a thought, maybe put tint/film on all the windows to cover up the scratches?

Like others have said I have also ditched the razor. Only use it to remove stickers. Too risky for the amount of $ a wc job nets. 0000 steel wool for everything.

One time I got a different brand of steel wool and the packaging threw me off. Thought it was 0000 but really it was 000. Went nuts on a window above a bbq… Crazy scratches in certain lights at an angle. Customer was super cool and I gave the job for free.

1 Like

Last year … So the OP should of known this. The guy is kind of new let’s cut him a little slack.

We the guys that have been doing this a while know not to use blades on tempered glass

When I say blame it on the manufacturer I’m saying to do it to save face ., an using blades are common for window cleaners, but knowing when , an how to use them is knowledge .

Obviously he didn’t have the knowledge to know not to use them here. So he is now kicked out of the he -man window cleaning club

Actually lesson learned. With any hope at all it isn’t a hugely expensive lesson. The solution of buffing out the scratches seems the least expensive and an investment as well if it comes down to out of pocket. In the future, (goes to all newbies) unless you are absolutely sure you did something don’t assume. If you hear-feel-see something STOP. Determine what it is. Proceed cautiously.

LOL I wasn’t having a go at him… it was more directed towards yourself to be honest, you didn’t expand the OPs knowledge you just told him how to pass the buck than deal with the issue, thinking a cleaner of a surface has the right to determine the quality of said surface its joke.
Here is what happens in reality:
Customer see scratches, call window cleaner, window cleaner blames glass, customer calls glazier, glaziers says window cleaner used a blade thus is why is scratched, customer calls window cleaner to inform that they are responsible, window cleaner reminds customer of scratch waiver. customer is angry signing something they were assured was necessary coz [quote=“Majestic66, post:9, topic:38138”]
razors are common practice with window cleaners an that your a pro an you know kowtow use them
[/quote]
And its not just tempered glass you can scratch with a scraper, if you have used said scraper on tempered glass, dislodged the glass fines those may cling to said scraper and transfer to EVERY pane you use said scraper on.
But it wasn’t to be a prick or anything like that its more every time the question gets asked he same answer is given get a waiver without any further instruction given and many people are assuming that this will cover them.
If you don’t like my post so be it, its not why it was posted to be a likable post its the reality of our industry and the sooner more window cleaners realize its not gonna improve and adapt and share our adaptations to cleaning said glass we can move forward with a new procedure for removing construction debris off glass coz we are the only ones who care.

No. But cement off works on concrete splatters.

1 Like

Get in touch with Dan Fields he is a scratched glass expert and has helped lots of window cleaners. thefieldsco.com Is his company website,

3 Likes

yup, used cement off once on a job which had cement splattered all over it. Largest size was a quarter. was a long time ago but probably 4-5 applications, dwell time and many razors.

Scroll down for video.
Cement off

Absolutely!!! With his given situation he needs to pass the buck to the asswhole manufacturer , why because if the glass was manufactured correctly there wouldn’t be no scratches , an secondly why not pass it . It would be different if it was me or you doing it with our knowledge but it wasn’t .

Why does it scratch does it scratch because of fabricating debris would it scratch if there was no fabricating debris ??

So it Happeend for this guy he didn’t know better blame the fucking manufactures there goin to blame him right. He needed to save face.

Now whoever is reading this knows Better don’t use blades if you do you have no one to blame but yourself .

Personally I don’t use blades any More on residential just spot blading like others have mentioned. … Storefront yes , an not if its a new storefront. New glass .

Little story. I use a couple of window cleaners that I’ve known for a long time some since I was a teenager others that are just … ya know neighborhood dudes.

Ok these guys have been cleaning windows longer then me They have this mentality to use blades on everything I mean everything . One of them has mentality that glass doesn’t scratch. They are all great window cleaners with bad mentalities though. Were they got it from I don’t know , but using blades on maintenance cleans doesn’t fly by me so your done with me.

I use to use him all the time I’m very lucky he didn’t cost me a claim.

I will say though I’m not like you… if I see a little paint I soap it up an scrape it off . I don’t get crazy, an I don’t call the customer over, an say hey this speckle needs a waiver an I need to come back. I’d rather take it off than leave it.

I know someone with a scratch removal kit so if it scratches it is what it is. If the whole house is bad them i fill the customer in with what there options are, an if they say proceed, them I do with a scratch waiver, an a different price tag

An that’s my story you crazy Aussie now go drink a Fosters an calm down😜

1 Like

For the op. @Ethan1712

1 Like

I have never considered using Titan Oil-Flo. I never felt comfortable using a razor blade to clean glass. Do you apply it with a huck towel or scrub pad? Is it ok if it gets on the frame of the window? I just want to make sure it doesn’t stain anything. Thanks for sharing

Depending on the surrounding material I would be cautious with getting any solvent on painted surfaces (pre-wet those with soap solution first); I use an old detail rag or a sponge (doesn’t take much so a small dampened sponge cut in half for this purpose); I try not to even let my window cleaning solution run down walls if I can help it because it will show “clean?” streaks that I have to clean up to make the rest look the same. Like I mentioned you do not need a whole lot, that would just be wasting it as the solvent does the trick, in other words letting it pool so to speak offers no advantage. Cleans up well with soap and water.

The manufactures have covered their own asses there are aware of FD, but like I have said because its not visible to the naked eye the glass passes every inspection, and the glass manufacturers just release a cleaning direction. boom they are covered but if you do not follow the cleaning instructions you are liable.
It is unfortunately the company/individual who is job it is to contact manufacturers to be advised of any special cleaning methods required for that particular glass.

LOL Aussies don’t drink Fosters, we send that crap to you lot :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice! I will give it a try.

This is not the first time I hear this . Same goes for Mexicans , we don’t drink Coronas :beer:

2 Likes

Haaaaa. Can’t remember the last time I drank one of them. Must of been back in the 80s.

@GenaroGuzman. Now a Corona that’s a different story . That’s was my brew for a long time. Them switch to Heineken light. Now I’m a craft beer drinking fool. Thanks to that fast Fanner guy. :beers:

Majestic’s Fridge

Needs re-packing.

Those bud lights have been in there for years an years. Anybody want one

2 Likes