Scratched the crap out of exterior low-e

low e has been around forever here in the states too. i think some guys get confused, though. for instance, they see a sticker that says “low E this side” and they think that means the low e coating is on the exposed surface they are looking at. they don’t really understand how low e gets applied or how it works.

low e is always applied to the one of the protected surfaces, not exposed to the elements (as [MENTION=675]Pioneer Services[/MENTION] mentions in post #5), unless it’s a manufacturer screw-up.

The only scenario i’ve ever seen where a window cleaner can willingly access the low-e coated side of glass to clean it, is with Pella storms (which are a the window equivalent to the TET offensive or the search for WMD’s in Iraq). And yes, it is abundantly obvious that you are dealing with a different animal as soon as you even touch low-e coated glass.

i’m guessing the guy who scratched the film with steel wool did just that, scratched a film that was applied post-manufacture to the window. not a low-e coating. i wouldn’t consider low-e a “film” anyway. i think we are talking about two different subjects and getting them confused.

Anderson has low e coatings on all 4 sides. Their 400 series windows has them…I think there are other too. If you go to casement windows care and maintenance, tells you there is a coating on all sides. Products in Technical Documents on Andersen Windows and Doors tdoctype:caremaintenance

not quite. andersen 400 series windows (and other comparable types) have low e coatings on the inner surfaces (sides 2 and 3) and a titanium dioxide coating on the exterior. it’s different than low-e, it doesn’t feel the same while cleaning. whereas low-e is very obvious during the cleaning process, titanium dioxide coating isn’t. the titanium dioxide coating is what’s considered “self-cleaning”… all “low-e4” glass should also have a protective film on it that’s meant to be pulled off during an initial clean after install.

the guy who started this thread came across low-e4 glass that wasn’t properly labeled, didn’t have the film on it, and his tech used a blade. a perfect storm to get screwed as a window cleaner.

I guess my “jist” was that there is also a “coating” on all 4 sides, and you cant blade, scrub with wool…etc etc the exterior coated sides…just as if it were low-e. Anderson does not say or advertise Low-e 4 as self cleaning, not that I have seen, and it is a titanium dioxide coating.

here’s a link to andersen’s official press release regarding their version of low-e4 glass. they claim that the outer coating (titanium dioxide) will reduce the need for cleaning and aid in faster drying

Andersen Introduces High Performance™ Low-E4™ Glass – re> BAYPORT, Minn., Jan. 11 /PRNewswire/ –

the real danger for a window cleaner is that the titanium dioxide surface isn’t readily identifiable unless it’s labeled. it’s not like low-e, where you know right away that there’s something on it. there would be no way to know that the surface needs special care unless told by the homeowner or builder filled them in.

Exactly…had an incident where flagstone was gound and the grindings hit the coating…pitted it. The HO got my opinion, then the GC got his window cleaner to look at it, same opinion, but he tried to blade it off. Ooops.

Google Searched this area code 48357-3837 Highland, MI. for you and found this listed as their possible representative.
[SIZE=3][FONT=verdana]
Midwest Glass Fabricators Inc [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]100 Transfer Dr[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Highland, MI 48357-3837[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
Telephone:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] 248-889-7900
Pat Iaquinto [/SIZE]

I also found you a window cleaner in Grand Rapids,that DOES GLASS RENU!
HE TOLD ME TO TELL YOU , CALL HIM … and he’ll be glad to do what he can.

Award Window Cleaning Services, Inc.

Mark Reinhart
860 Lafayette Ave. NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503

[URL=“http://www.awardwindow.com”]
www.awardwindow.com
[email protected]

Other Specialties:[COLOR=#ff0000] Glass Restoration[/COLOR]

I was just told that my large and VERY expensive windows have the the Low-E coating on the wrong pane (#4). As consumer (non window professional), should I have been able to tell this when they first arrived? My warranty reads “Claims under these warranties must be made within the specified warranty period [1 year] and within 60 days of the appearance of the defect.” I’m within the warranty period but I’m guessing this is going to be a pain to get the manufacturer to fix this.

Uhg.

It just depends. I have clients with Pella windows, that have had seal issues. Pella has been VERY good to them.

I’ve had clients with Anderson’s with bad seals and bad glass surfaces, and they basically told them to pound sand.

Best thing to do is start at the builder and go from there. Don’t give them a long period of time before moving up the ladder to solve the issue.

1 Like

Hire someone who knows how to and has the equipment to do the job.

So I don’t mean to hi-jack this guys thread but I think it’s important. So for people like me and other newer guys getting into residential who haven’t come across Low -E glass or self cleaning glass or any other types of coating, how do you know? Is there a foolproof way to know which glass has one of these coatings? Because we all at some point in time will use a razor or steel wool on glass and being able to determine which windows you can and which ones you can’t will save people a lot of money and pain.

I always look at stickers on new construction and they will say if it’s Low-E. Also if it has that green tent to it that’s how I immediately recognize that it’s Low-E. Also the etching in the corner will say Low-E if it’s Low-E. This may not be the only way to tell but it’s my go to. It’s really obvious though when you see that green tent.

What if it’s not new construction? Is it common to find these in older homes? What about self cleaning windows how do you tell these? And for Windows with any kind of film or tint what should you avoid? Obviously razors and steel wool but I’ve even herd white pads aren’t good and I’ve even herd things as extreme as not useing a squeegee.

The are a tons of very informative threads on low e glass here on the forum.

Type in the search bar “low e” and you’ll have days of great information to consume.

To be clear we are not talking about just a regular low e coating. This is self cleaning glass that this thread is about.

Low e coatings are usually between the panes where it really don’t matter for us…unless theres a coating on one of the exterior surfaces of the glass.

If its NOT new construction, it’s almost certain that the homeowners will know about the type of windows they have as it would have been one of the selling points. They will be aware in most cases as was the case for me a few times when I was asked how I plan to clean that type of window on their house.

You can be pro active and ask every client before you give an estimate over the phone or even in person. “Are your windows self cleaning or have any coating on the outside that you know of?” yes I know they will usually say no, but it may save you a ton of headaches on that one that had them and you didn’t ask and they forgot to mention it.

Unless you live in Australia, where it is exposed as there are no IG units.
they were first introduced here in around 2000 and are VERY common on government buildings and newer constructions where the build was focused on eco/modern/low footprint and such.
I have a few residential customers who have this type of glass these homes are worth 850k++.

Yeah, just last night I read the bulletin from IWCA/GANA and I stand corrected, big time.

I don’t see them very much on the buildings I do, but it sounds pretty common place now.

For those that havent read the bulletin, its here.

1 Like