Sectional Ladders

I know you work alone. Just be careful on slippery floors. I here to many stories about ladders sliding out form under people. Use a non slip pad or something. :slight_smile:
Glad to see the proper ladders used in the proper way.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app.

Thanks Mike. Thatā€™s something thatā€™s always on my mind.

Now I wish I could just leave this thing at home. But alas, the sectional just wonā€™t work in this instance.

It could , flip the head peace upside down. Not the safest set up but ā€¦ If ya donā€™t have a little giant thatā€™s how I would do it. I usually have someone with me though to spot if necessary.

Did not even think of that. Probably a good thing I didnā€™t, not having a spotter and all that :wink:

Just ordered my sectional ladder 4 pcs total. Anything taller than that I will go with an extension.

Thatā€™s something you will never regret !!

Thatā€™s about rightā€¦

Iā€™d say 4 1/2,but there no such thing as ā€œa half pieceā€ anymore. :frowning:
(at least not for retail sale, anyway)

hey J, what would you think about this: mod a 6ā€™ piece by drilling out the rivets, taking the connecter pieces out, cutting two feet off the section, and riveting the connectors back in? sound feasible? too sketchy? too much work? i love half pieces and consider them essential, but as you mentioned, no one is making them now. so iā€™m thinking alternatives hereā€¦

it would if you had one of these

Couldnā€™t you just put levelers on your sectional? Mine give me about 12" of adjustment.

I do have levelers. This would have spanned two stairs, and they had more than 6" of rise each. Angling the ladder so that the levelers rested on adjacent stairs wouldnā€™t work, either. Mikeā€™s suggestion of flipping the top section upside down would have been the only way to do it with a sectional.

I like the idea. I donā€™t think itā€™s as sketchy as weā€™d think.
-from what I heard, there were no issues, but it was simply a liability thing, meaning there was probably concern but not cause.
I mean, the half pice is NOT going to snap, the dangerous part is the small yokes.
(they used to be longer, I swear and were inserted further into the ladder rail.)

Iā€™m starting to thikn out loud, so apologize if this turns into a long replyā€¦

I always use the half at the top, just under my point.
I know a lot of other use it at the bottom.

• not even for safety reasons (less tension) but more of a "I like to see the connection at eye level,
    rather than looking down at it, since it would have three pieces above (does that make sense?) :o
    Throwing the top and then going longer from there works better for my orientation.

SOOOā€¦ I would probably cut down a top piece to make the half out of, rather than a middle.
It would also be the least amount of tension, for homemade rivet holes.

And just between you and Iā€¦
If it did fail, youā€™d probably be just fine.

You might have to clean your shorts, but itā€™s not like the whole set would collapse from under you.

I actually did something similar once. I took out a (one) foot, for some reason.
(stupid/weird move, I donā€™t quite remember.)

Wait a minuteā€¦
I DID know a guy who did it.

And he used it as a BOTTOM.
He put the rubber feet in, [B]instead of[/B] doing the drilling.

Shit, he was a smart window cleaner, best I ever saw.
He was just one of those ā€œwould rather sleep inā€ types.

Died about 8 years ago, in his 40ā€™sā€¦ Damn shame.

see thatā€™s sort of what iā€™m talking about. all sections except for the pointed top piece are made out of the same stock. structurally it would be identical to a commercially built half piece. you would just have to measure it out and cut it down just right, and make sure you used BEEF rivets similar to what the manufacturer uses to fasten yokes into the side rails of the piece.

you could probably convert a regular piece to half piece in about 20 minutes if you had a good metal saw and the right rivet tools.

Iā€™ve given this some thought, too. The issue I see is that the sections taper down in width from the bottom to the top. When you cut 2 feet off a 6 foot section, depending on where you make your cut, it will either be too wide at the top for the next section to slide on, or too narrow at the bottom to slide onto the section under it. But cutting the bottom off to make it into a shorter base section would work, albeit you wouldnā€™t have the same ā€˜splayā€™ that base sections usually do. That would make me a little nervous, tbh.

edit: I just realized that this could still be done by drilling out the rivits for a couple of rungs, shortening them, and reattaching so the ladder is narrower at the top.

Why did they discontinue the 4ā€™ sections?

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

Not enough people buying them, from what I heard.

I herd the same thing!!
Here is what I donā€™t understand about that.
If thatā€™s coming from the manufacturer.

Why donā€™t they wait till they get enough orders from the middle men ie: ABC , WCR, Jrach ext. Then just put in a big production. To me this is bullshit you make a product an that 4ā€™ is a big part of the product you sell.
Unless there going to stop making them all together.

Adding levelers to all your ladders will save you a lot of time in the long run. The xtenda levelers are the best. You just adjust them with your feet. Those little giants take too long to set up. Iā€™d be finished with those windows by the time you set up that ladder.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

Are we posting here? Or is this one of those 6 month or more old threads???