Should I quit my crappy call center job?

Just because you hated it then does not mean you’ll hate it now. You did not say why you hated it.

This is a long shot, but if it was your first “job” you may just have been too young to appreciate working. Now that you see what the real world is like working at a call center you should have a new perspective on window cleaning.

A lot of kids hated broccoli but now that their grown they realize you can’t live off eating candy.

3 Likes

Both of you are some wise people. Thanks for this!

1 Like

If you hate your job , try looking for another but not window cleaning,if you already don’t like it. Try another route. Why go from one job you hate to another? Keep trying other things, you already have two things you know you don’t like checked off, try something else.

1 Like

My dad make it suck for me pretty bad. My brother always said that, for a time I looked down at window cleaning much like my sister.
However as time went on and I saw my best friend become very successful at window cleaning and I watched my brother do quite well I realized that just getting a better education/job wasn’t worth it. My sister was/is wrong.
My dad payed me nothing (he doesn’t pay taxes either), and I was “home-schooled” which meant I had to get a GED but also meant he would work me even harder. He was a very difficult guy to work with and still is.
I remember getting out of the house and being beyond excited to do something else…I promise you I took about 10 new jobs that year. I was a janitor at my church, salesman at Sears, Subway employee…etc…I also tried to clean windows and I felt empty inside and hated it. Coincidentally my little window venture never went anywhere.
Of course my dad never taught me about insurance, licensing, advertising, or taxes because he never did any of those things.

Now I’m married, 26 years old, and a Seminary student. Life is a lot more serious, I have to provide for my wife. There are a few things that interest me and taking phone calls in a call center is not one of them.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your story.
With a new perspective on this line of business you could very well be quite successful at it. You know what not to do, so that does translate into what to do.

You have the ability to do cold calls. Not the line of work you cared for, but perhaps you have skills hidden in there that will translate and make you prosper in locating work for this adventure either in your approach to talking with prospective customers or how you would like to be in control of earning customers.

The fact that YOU CAME HERE shows that you may have a sincere interest in how to make your own destiny.

Welcome in, hope you find the pool to your liking.

4 Likes

Wow, Alex. Sounds like you’re a fighter. I’m impressed.

A lot of my friends “home school” their kids. I’m mostly against it cause I’ve seen how it usually goes. But don’t get me started on that…

I think it’s great that you’ve been making the best of your circumstances. Sounds like you’ve got drive and work ethic. Regardless of the bad, all those experiences made you who you are today. Your dad may have set a less than stellar example for running a window cleaning business, but thankfully you’ve come to the right place to learn how to do it better. As you’ve no doubt already seen, the forum is loaded with valuable information and very helpful people.

Keep us posted on what you decide. We really want to see you succeed. :wink:

2 Likes

“I did it once and I hated it”

NO you shouldn’t start a window cleaning business.

2 Likes

Find something that you REALLY ENJOY! I wanted a business where I could work part time and make a decent living. Window cleaning just happened to fit what I was looking for.

Life is so short. Take advantage of your talents and create the life you want.

Keep us posted on your success!

3 Likes

How do you market/sell enough to work part time and to make enough? I’d have to do at least 3k to be able to have insurance etc

I have built up my business over the last 14 years. I put all my residential clients on a schedule where I clean their windows at least twice a year. You don’t need that many clients to make that happen. I only have a little over 70 clients

4 Likes

I like Quarterlies. I have several others who are twice a year or yearly. Scheduling it right then it works out pretty good; almost always room to add except certain times per year it gets really tight. A few store front and offices fill in the other gaps. There is always room for improvement.

2 Likes

I wish I had more that were quarterly accts. I only have 8 that are every 3 months.

Everyone else is twice a year so it works out good

1 Like

Well I went out and got my first job!!

10 Likes

you mention you have to provide for your wife. unless she is paralysed from the neck down,she needs to be hitting the ground running, promoting you you you on the net and doling out flyers . id be buying her comfy shoes asap and planning her route

3 Likes

and glue one of your cards to the back of the shoes youv jus bought her. so when she is out folk will say “excuse me,you have something on one of your shoes”

she will reply, " jeez thats my husband, by the way,would you like your windows cleaned?"

3 Likes

You’re makin’ us proud!

Well she actually wants to help/be part owner. However:

1. We just paid our taxes and are basically broke.
  2. She doesn’t have a license…yet…
  3. We only have one vehicle…

We are a bit limited right now…I hate taxes

You’ll hate taxes even more if you start a business

6 Likes

Yeah but I hate working for others more.

I promise you’ll hate taxes more working for yourself

2 Likes