Signs on street corners

I think the guys at telegraph and orchard lake are on a rotation. They take turns collecting and divide the take evenly. Some have bikes, some do not. They definitely share a sign though.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

I’d give these guys a second chance once in a while…I was there once during a perfect storm scenario…and I have plenty of money.

I hopped on my KTM dual sport motorcycle (important detail) and took it out for a ride to the shop. Running down the freeway…it started to sputter…uhoh. I looked down…damn on reserve already. I did a dirt bike trick and leaned the bike way over to slosh some gas over. I was able to get off the freeway and sputter to a gas station a ways off the freeway. I get off and look at the situation. My tank is black plastic…couldn’t see the level (my other ride is a BMW 1150GSA…it has a digital gauge and HUGE capacity). I pull the gas nozzle down and reach for my wallet…aww crap…its in my street riding pants. I have no money, no cards, no nothing on me. I begged 2 dollars which got me back home and to my wallet. I said I’d pay it forward to the next guy…still waiting for them…but sometimes it happens.

You’re totally right, I have nothing against giving helping people in need and “paying it forward”, but in my area it kind of became a trend for people to do this. I swear it happens to me all of the time at the grocery store I go to which has a gas station in it. I park my truck and they stop right in front of it, blocking me in until I roll down my window, then they have a long elaborate story. I like to think I’m a pretty good judge of when people are bs-ing me and when someone is in sincere need, so I kind of go with my gut.

One of my employees had a lady ask him for $10 for gas at a gas station and he gave it to her. Then the very next day saw the same lady at a different gas station asking people for gas money. After it happens to you so many times you kind of become jaded.

As far as the street corner guys, there are some intersections near me, where the same dude has been at an intersection with the same sign for 10 years, no exaggerating. I have no problem with them doing it if they are in need and looking for a short term solution, but there are a lot of nearby places that help people get back on there feet and get them into the work field.

I’m a huge “pay it forward” “what comes around/goes around” guy.

Unless we are getting screaming “you’re late” phone calls, I’m all about helping someone broken down.
My exact words to my guys are “F** you, get out… we’re helping push and that’s, that.”

The frustrating part is that you can’t tell the legit people in need
from the scammers, these days.

It’s really bums me out, because I see someone who I would LOVE to help.

• but then I get that skeptic side that comes out.

Healthy people bullshitting their way, because they know they CAN.

Right! I love to help people too, my Dad is the kind of person that would give the shirt off of his back to a stranger on the street, and seeing that influenced me. Its sad that there are people who take advantage of it, and I feel like I’ve kind of sniffed out their routine after encountering it so many times, but who knows right? I’m sad that I have to be skeptical about it.

Funny thing, what you said about helping people broke down on the road and helping them: I had an employee who was a really good guy and one time we were riding down Telegraph and this couple was broke down in the right lane blocking traffic and it was pouring rain out, and I was just trying to move around them like everyone else, not even thinking about their situation, and the guy working with me said, “We should help them move their car.” So we pulled over and pushed them into the parking lot in the rain, and the guy was really thankful, and we felt great for helping. I’ll never forget that because I was in such a hurry, and not even in the mindset to help, and he really influenced me to do that, and it put me in the spirit to help people more in the future.

You making your guys get out and help has probably influenced them to help more too!

Around here they hang out in front of the grocery store asking for gas money and in the gas station asking for grocery money !?

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

Should call these guys bluff and offer them a temp job on your team.