Slippery Handles

Not sure if anyone else has an issue with slippery handles.

Bugs me too no end. new to WC bought a WFP route but ended up having to learn trad methods also.

problem is my handles get slippery and I feel like im having to grip too tightly to manipulate them.

my moerman handle is the worst one. I used some plastidip but its already peeling.

is there something comparable or am i stuck trying gloves?

You using a lot of soap?

Only time I get slippery handle is when the prankster decides to dump a bottle of soap in my bucket.

1 Like

maybe. tried less but gent i purchased windows from said add more and more iā€™ve gotten better results and better slip with my squeegee

but donā€™t think thatā€™s it cuz i did use the rodi water only and only what was lefter over on the mop. plus i rinsed the mop out a bit

Iā€™m a fan of less soap, see what works for you.

1 Like

Yeah, something weird here. Iā€™ve never had a problem with slippery handlesā€¦ except when itā€™s below zero and it slips in my frozen fingers.

Your handle shouldnā€™t be getting that much water on it. Once you pull it out of the bucket, wipe the handle with a microfiber and you should be fine. But sounds like you got a lot of soap in the bucket. Try using a squirt bottle and adding the soap into that instead of the bucket.

When I switched to squirt bottles, saved me a ton of soap over time and lets me customize how much soap I need per stop. The greasy fast food place gets more soap than the outside only antique store.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll try the smaller bottle. Most likely all due to my lack of skill lol

I use Dawn Ultra and my ā€˜scientific methodā€™ is usually about one quick circle of soap per gallon. I like just enough soap that I can get an even layer of water/suds across the glass. I will sometimes add a little more soap as the water gets dirtier if it seems easier than a fresh bucket. But seeing a lot of the guys on this forum using squirt bottles of one sort or another to re-wet their brushes has me wanting to try it and use my bucket more for full rinsing the brush every so often.

2 Likes

3 Likes

lol

he never gets old

we mainly woeked on wfp for training original owner was leaving and i was stuck on a large flooring project so ive learned mostly online and trial and error! took me 8 hrs to do a house

Coming from the guy who pulls out his hoodies for the winter :smirk:

4 Likes

Yeah now I do. But when I started in Durango I did -16ā€™s a few times. But Durango is cool if you can manage your routes that face east for the morning, face west for the afternoon. :wink:

1 Like

Thatā€™s it man :sunglasses: Sunny side of the street !!

2 Likes

I like to wear lightweight work gloves most of the time because I prefer more grip on everything. That said, your handle shouldnā€™t really be getting very wet unless youā€™re carrying it around in your 5-gallon bucket all the time. In that case, yes, it can get fairly slippery.

2 Likes

itā€™s mostly when i use the moerman it tends to shed water allover my hand not like my sorbo

im sure its still more my technique but ive been using is on pole work and finishin off with sorbo.

i have a lot of tall glass so its seems more effective than step laddrs everywhere

which gloves do you wear? ive always hated gloves even for construction

Why does that happen @TheWindowCleanse @Trad-Man @anon35812390 ā€¦

Canā€™t say I have this issue but maybe handle angle to glass. Sorbo is a 40Ā° Handle and the attack point of the blade means the handle is parallel to the glass if not tilted a little higher. If using Excelerator Iā€™ve always preached the 25Ā° setting for in hand use, either pivot or fixed. This gets the hand further out from the glass, particularly helpful for efficient pivoting with both the Wagtail and Moerman (thanks to Herman Wieland about 3 years ago).

1 Like

Also if you have really saturated the window and your solution is very runny then it tends to get everywhere lol. Try dipping the applicator and shake off excess water, then apply a few drops of detergent to the applicator. That should make your solution a little thicker = less runny and also like Eric said the further your hand is from the glass the better so i use around 25Ā°. I still get a bit wet on my hands but in winter i wear gloves

1 Like

Thanks for the responses @anon35812390 and @Trad-Man.

I was going to say it was the angle of the channel to the glass and runny solution also. I was just confirming my observation.
It use to drive me crazy how wet my hand use to get using the ā€œlittle divaā€ in hand also @squeegeemike try some of the tips Eric and Pete gave, both those tips save me from such wet hands.
@TheWindowCleanse helped solve the issue a couple week back talking to him and watching his videos.

Hands still get wet sometimes but over all its way better.

Hope those tips help.

2 Likes

Bob (Polz) has just put up his first ā€˜talkieā€™ and heā€™s demonstrating his workflow but more importantly consistency of soap. Well worth a look.

3 Likes