Smoke damage

I don’t do power washing but I have a client that needs a section of gutter/soffit cleaned that was exposed to smoke damage. This incident occurred around 2 months ago. It is a 2-3ft long section of gutter/soffit. I was going to try siding cleaner which I have but the client doesn’t want me to try unless I know it’s going to work. I was going to do this by pole/brush and rinse with hose. Anyone have experience with smoke damage?

Smoke damage - check out this thread.

I have removed smoke damage stains with GG4! If the flames have licked it - usually it goes yellow & there’s nothing you can do about it.

Interesting thread, I’ll have to check it out when I get back from work.

From what I understand, the job I’m looking at had a chimney malfunction or something and black smoke came out the vent at the side of the house just under the eaves/soffit so no direct flames or anything.

For the removal of smoke stains froma painted surface you will need to use a butyl based cleaner with sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide in it. It will also require hot water. Even with all of this there are no guarantees. It still may need to be re-painted.

Thank you for the info.

This customer is real particular. I’ve got to give her a 100% guarantee that whatever I do will work. I think I’ll just walk on this one.

This was posted on the same board about smoke damage -
Quote:
[I]“i used to work for a company that cleaned up after smoke damage. anything made of plastic even if it looks ok after a clean gives of toxins for up to 10 years after and because of it we had to throw it all away. that includes rubber , piping etc. let the insurance pay up.”[/I]

Probably a good plan. Discretion is the better part of valor.