Squeegee drag!

We actually do use wfp on residential… Not every job but our systems do go out daily, not every truck has a system. If we have never done the house, I want nose to glass cleaning.

Oh and yea we just do use dish soap. When I worked by myself and in a small team i used gg4. The drag issue took me a while to get used to, so I would put a tiny squirt of dish soap in to get it moving.

I have tried the Unger Pill, GG3, GG4 and Dish Soap. There really is no glide with any of these other than dish soap. I don’t want to add anything to the solution to make it glide, I just want one solution that cleans and glides well. Just my opinion but I like dish soap. It hasn’t come back to bite me in the ass yet.

SOAP WARS!!!

Blue Dawn for the win!!!

I normally use GG3 or that Glisten stuff. Haven’t used Dawn in over a year or so. On Friday, I put GG4 in my bucket for some interior work. This morning I started with the same water since it was clean and my squeegee was literally squealing on every window. This is something I’ve always done with other soaps and I’ve never had this happen. I’ve been using GG4 for the past few weeks and I can’t get over how much less slip/more drag I’m getting, even when it’s straight out of the bottle. I think it’s a step down from GG3 - more drag, costs more. What might be the advantages of 4 over 3 besides the odor?

Today I tried dawn, the wife got me the clear dawn from that evil store people talk about and it worked GREAT!!! Im still going to try the GG4 again, the dawn didnt slow me down 1 bit, no squeegee DRAG!!!

The GG4 is designed for hard water areas. It has water softening agents in it that GG3 doesn’t.

That’s good to know. I still have almost a whole bottle of GG4. I’ll throw it in with the dawn if the windows are really nasty.

So…in a housecleaning (which I was going to get into before I discovered window cleaning) guide, it recommended using Dawn and White Vinegar. Is this a no-no for windows, because it’s never been mentioned that I have seen.

Man, don’t fall for that B.S.! I hate that you just said that! It makes me mad to think that someone’s opinion is causing you trouble. Millions of other window cleaner use dawn with great results! The problem with dawn is you can buy it anywhere which makes it hard for venders to make money off it. Think about it. If GG4 was the best window cleaning soap on the market then why is there no slip? Why would you have to add dawn? That is really a big deal to not have slip isn’t it. I just don’t get it.

Save yourself the trouble and money and get dawn and be done with it. DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!

Why the Vinegar? Is it for the smell??

Now just to start off on the right foot I don’t know anything thats why I am reading all these threads . The vinegar is from the old days of cleaning like my mom had me clean the windows. Like vinegar & newspaper ? Thats like over 40 years ago!!!
Doug Ricks
Gimmee water window cleaning
760-617-5757

As for the waigTail, just use it and you will come to you in no time. As for chemical, the only solution I have used is Unger Pro bought from H.D. I have nothing to compare it to but it works great for me, good slip & clean windows. It all comes down to what you experiment with and what works best for you. Good Luck.

1 Like

was yomike using soft or hard rubber?

Grew up using the vinegar, switched to amonia+dawn(w/ better results), then to gg4+dawn

I think that adding Vinegar is to lower the PH balance since it is a mild acid Vinegar might help eliminate slight mineral build ups (but since removing mineral deposits is an add-on to window washing (and too much vinegar COULD possibly acid etch glass [Vinegar PH runs 2.4-3.4] ) most people won’t add it.

I use Lemon Fresh Joy because it cuts grease and grime well, has good slip and no one objects that I dump my bucket after each job in the gutter since it is just dish water, in the concentrations we use it in it is even good for plants (when done occasionally).

The problem that dish soap has is that it is high sudsing, I add the dish soap to the water and agitate enough to mix it well without bringing up the suds.

You can use Joy or Dawn or any other brand you want that cleans dishes well as long as you get the plain varieties and nothing with hand softener or anything else in it. Another advantage to using dish soap is that it strips the oils off of your hands enough that you can go back and get any streaks you find just using your fingers.

Michael Kelly

been using GG4 ( live in a hard water area ) for the last year…on certain windows especially when it is hot . or when the heater in the house … just seem to get smearing now and then…any way on a British Forum one guy said use Ecover ( belgium ) Washing up liquid with Vinegar … The Ecover is Bio washing up liquid and totally made from pants LOL ( from plants i mean )… any way i know all about the Vinegar trick. its probably to break down the lime scale content thats in the water and not the limes scale whats on the glass which most people think… this is what i have read several times any way and it does make sense…?? the guy in the forum recommends though nearly half a bottle of vinegar… got to laugh . that is too much… will either kill your window seals, frames etc or your hands…
in Th last few day i have used this Ecover washing liquid diluted with pure water… just a small squirt into a pure water bottle… 1 part Ecover 300 parts water if yo like . and just a few drops of essig essenz ( clear salad vinegar )

It really is fantastic… direct sunlight soft rubber … insides with the heating way up and soft rubber… and works amazingly well… before a combination of the unger soft rubber and gg4 in a heated room would be a pain in the backside… ( dont worry i have hard rubbers too ) no streaking or rubber burn as i was getting with the GG4…

John Germany