Squeegee leaving lines at the tip

I’ve been strugling to figure out why sometimes my squeegee leaves a line of water comming off the leading edge of my squeegee when I fan. it mosyly happens with my liquidators, but it doesn’t happen all the time, i can’t figure why it does it some times and not others when i think that i’m doing things exactly the same. I did figure out that it will stop for a little while if I give the squeegee a strong flick before i fan, maybe it’s water getting stuck between the rubber and the channel and it’s gwtting squeezed out when i fan?

i could use some help

Worn tips on the rubber will cause this. It’s a constant struggle for me with the liquidator because the ends wear so much faster than a typical squeegee. Try cutting off a smaller triangle when you trim your rubber, so there’s a wider section of 90° at the ends. This should help a little with the ends wearing so quickly.

It might also be beneficial to experiment with fitting the rubber either a little longer or shorter than you usually do.

And as @skipper mentioned, adjusting your technique can be helpful, as well. A wider, more ‘swooping’ motion can get that leading edge dry before starting back on the next stroke.

This same thing has been driving me crazy! I chaulked it up to being new, which still may be the reason, but it just seemed like something else was at play here. Incidentally, I’ve also had a similar problem when straight pulling with the liquidator, and have been mildly suspecting that those end clips somehow retain more water. If i more rigorously dry the leading tip, there problem went away.

Anyway, thanks for bringing this up. Would love to get to the bottom of this.

Here is a tip don’t cut your rubbers in the liquidators, you don’t need to and honestly I found it works better if you don’t.

thats what i’ve been doing, it still happens though

it will some times happen on the 3rd or 4th window after i put in a new rubber

I sweep under a bit after a turn coming down to pull water off of the leading edge before my next stroke. I use ettore brass, and found that too much rubber stretch causes this as well as worn edges at the ends. The rubber rounds more quickly at the edges and leaves that rainbow line as was already mentioned.

Should be a sweeping 8 on its side or infinity sign ∞ you aim is to move the water off the glass in a continuous movement that is fluent. If your going under then your doing addition movement where its not required and sweeping under will involve a great deal of wrist movement which will get sore.

Rainbow lines that dry all nice and clear, wait til the sun hits that at the wrong angle.

Same thing, I went to liquidators for about 6mths had no end of trouble with consistent arcs and a number of other problems, went back to modified wagtails.
Happy man again

1 Like

Make sure the leading edge is always angled towards the direction you’re going >>>>/>>>>, not angled back from where you came >>>>\>>>>.

Same with pull downs

1 Like