Squirt Bottle Water Management

Hi. Just wondering what size squirt bottle do you guy’s use for indoor window cleaning, rather than carrying around a bucket.

See Luke the Window Cleaners excellent video for what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9GfWKRB9Qk

I’m thinking of using a squirt bottle rather than a spray bottle. Just interested to see what works for others. Happy to hear about a variety of methods, and mediums. Please post pictures if you have-em!

Graeme Hibbard.
Sparkle Window Cleaning
Christchurch, New Zealand.

4 Likes

I use a 16oz dish soap bottle from Meyer’s Clean Day. It’s pretty small but bigger bottles tend to weigh my belt down too much and hurt my hip. So I also carry a 2oz bottle of pure soap for when my 16oz bottle of solution runs out, then I can just fill it from the tap and add a dash of soap. I’ll post a pic when I get home.

1 Like

Powerade bottle works good in Tga

1 Like

We use these
https://www.gatorade.com/_assets-sports-fuel/images/g_endurance_product-thirst-formula.png

2 Likes

What and How do you carry it? On a belt setup? Can you (and others please) post a picture of what you carry it in?

That’s what I’m interested in, how, and what with, everyone carries their squirt bottles.

We use unger bottle holder.

2 Likes

Sparkle window cleaning :+1:that’s the name of my good friends business

We go in a house with a bucket still. Except it’s not filled with water anymore. It’s filled with bottles like I showed you an what ever Else we need. Towls , rags , squeegees , screw driver , track brush …ect ect.

2 Likes

As you can see, the bottle is quite small. I like it that size though, and Meyer’s is the only soap bottle I’ve found with such a nozzle as I prefer. I fill it with tap water and a few drops of dish soap, doesn’t matter what kind.

I carry a small hand sanitizer bottle that’s been emptied out and refilled with plain dish soap so I can mix up more solution on the fly from any faucet, or dab soap on my washer outside when I’m working from a bucket. (I never add soap to my bucket water. It is only there to rinse my mop, then I apply soap directly to the wash pad. This method conserves soap and eliminates the agony of sudsy bucket water)

I primarily use my squirt bottle indoors, or when working from a ladder when it would waste time to descend for another dunk in the bucket.

5 Likes

I like the little bit of soap idea going to start doing that
Sick of my guy opening a window , An yelling , "can you fill these up for me ". Sigh " ya I’ll leave them by the front door"
PIA when im in the groove

1 Like

Nice :+1:

Is that a 900ml (Metric) squirt bottle? Not sure what 900ml is in American weight. I like the small sanitizer bottle idea for the dish-soap. I’ll look into that. I recognize the Ecover bottle. Do you use Ecover or Meyer? Or both? Never heard of Meyer before. Is it an American brand?

Was thinking of using this (see picture below) with a 900ml dish-wash bottle (with water and soap) in the main compartment, and a 500ml dish-wash bottle (with dish-soap only) in the samller front compartment. I’d use a black colored pouch, not green one shown below, on my belt to match better with my uniform etc. And without the straps of course.

Thinking 900ml may be a bit of an overkill, not sure, seeing I’ve never used this setup before. Any thoughts on weight?

1 Like

My bottle is 16 FL oz (US) which Google tells me is 473 ml. So about half the size of what you’re planning.

I tried a 32 oz bottle before but personally didn’t care for the weight on my hip with a full load.

Edit: I do think a 900 ml bottle full of solution and 500 ml full of soap is overkill. My 2 oz bottle of pure soap lasts a few days between fills. More solution can be mixed up from just about any water source. Since the solution is so easy to renew, and the need for soap is so minimal, I don’t see it as necessary to haul the extra weight around. Not like you’re gonna be trekking off into the wilderness to clean windows with only what you can carry, right? :wink:

Edit #2: I do keep extra soap in my tool bucket off-body

1 Like

I’m just experimenting with ideas at the moment. I think your right, both bottles will be to heavy on my belt. I’m picking brains to figure out a suitable system.

Without getting to bogged down in details, generally speaking, (looking at the questions below) how long will your 473ml (16oz) squirt bottle last doing inside windows alone?

• Will it get you around the insides of an average (without colonial frames) two bedroom, single storey house? Yes or No?

• Will it get you around the insides of an average (without colonial frames) three bedroom, single storey house? Yes or No?

• Will it get you around the insides of an average (without colonial frames) four bedroom, single storey house? Yes or No?

• Will it get you around the insides of an average (without colonial frames) five bedroom, single storey house? Yes or No?

• Will it get you around the insides of an average (without colonial frames) two storey house? Yes or No?

• Will it get you around the insides of a (without colonial frames) large two storey house? Yes or No?

• Will it get you around the insides of a (without colonial frames) very large two storey house? Yes or No?

As I said before, I haven’t used this system yet. Just trying to get a feel for how well it works.

It seems like my bottle is good for about 2000-2500 square feet of house before it runs out. Most homes here have a couple of cut-ups in front, and a half-dozen sliding glass doors in back, with a decent smattering of normal double- and single-hung panes in between.

I also use liquidators with plenty of solution on the glass. Using a normal squeegee I could let my mop run much drier without hurting.

I have been using a squirt bottle for the last couple years. I just squirt my solution directly on my scrubber and I am ready to go. Works great! Eliminates the need to keep going back to my bucket.

1 Like

@Majestic66 I use the bottle on the left in the picture you posted. It has saved me a lot of time. I was stubborn at first and didn’t want to carry a squirt bottle. Then I tried it one day. Saved me about 20-30 min on a decent size job. I highly recommend using a squirt bottle.

1 Like

Yep. Gotta use this method. That’s the message I’ve been getting consistently. It saves time = more money in my pocket, for less work. Work smarter, not harder!

Thank you.

3 Likes

do you buy dish washing soap for home??? try using the empty bottle!
got a shampoo bottle?

That’s a decent sized house, so it goes a long way. Got Liquidators/Excellerators etc on the way from the UK (en route) right now.

Up until today, I’ve been carrying my bucket from window to window (or set of windows) indoors, and have my soap bottle floating in my bucket and just squirt it straight on my applicator. I have a spray bottle with ordinary store bought “Spray & Wipe” solution hanging off a hammer ring on my belt.

Gonna ditch bucket of water inside, and just use squirt in holster. Might keep my spray bottle for a bit of extra chemical support on stubborn spots. I’ll see how things go whether I ditch the spray bottle, and just use squirt setup. Spray bottle is handy for interior of frosted glass, and small mirrors etc.

1 Like

Chad how did you work before the squirt bottle ?
Hey Btw how those nice sunglasses hanging in ther. I remember you talking a while back about buying a good lense
I finally said screw it to cheap sunglasses for work, An went out n bought a pair of Oakleys. Loving the idea of working with a good pair of polerized lemses.

1 Like