Steel wool on mirrors?

So, I think most people also clean mirrors, but I was wondering if it is fine to clean mirrors with steal wool? Thanks!

Regards,
C-Through

Use 0000 steel wool and you’ll be :ok_hand:

Edit: this is a no no. I misread the back of my package

@C-Through

William 0000 steel wool can scratch mirrors and windows. Do a search on here and see what you find. There is some good threads on this topic.

@Tenpointer that is bad information/suggestion you gave.

Here’s a pic of a mirror that was scratched with 0000 steel wool.
I use this pic as an example for people that are curious about this issue.

2 Likes

Oh. I thought I read on the back of my package that it was okay. I am sorry for the wrong information. Thank you for clarifying this.

1 Like

I know the only way to really know is test it on a sample mirror to know for yourself.

This forum is full of great information that has been field tested.

1 Like

I have not cleaned any mirrors with them. SO this is good information. Good thing.

In 20 years of using steel wool on glass, both 000 and 0000 I have never had either scratch glass. Although I can’t necessarily seek specifically about mirrors, only because it’s rare that I have had to use anything on a mirror other than a washer, I have never had steel wool scratch a mirror. I wouldn’t put my foot down on the mirror only because I don’t recall specific instances of use as they have been rare. That said I don’t see mirrors being any different than Windows, although I could be wrong.

As for windows I can say for certainty that I would have no issues using steel wool, both 000 and 0000, on windows with full confidence it will not scratch.

3 Likes

In 10 years I’ve only seen 3 panes scratch from 0000 steel wool. All panes are in the same commercial building belonging to a chain with similar windows. In my experience, I can absolutely say 0000 steel wool can scratch certain glass surfaces albeiat very very few. Next time I pass the pane I’ll post a pic here. Should be Wednesday if I don’t forget.

1 Like

0000 steel wool can and does scratch. Very faint if you put too much pressure on it, Do a corner of a window some day where you can look at it from inside towards the sun. Most times nothing - but if done too vigorously you will see faint scratches.

Mirrors show EVERYTHING. I see no need that I am aware of to use an abrasive on mirrors. I use Sprayway foam cleaner. Sometimes I have had to use white pad with the cleaner but carefully. If it is stubborn, I just spend a little more dwell time because mirrors show EVERYTHING.

2 Likes

I would say that there is something else going on besides the steel wool. There is no telling how many windows I have cleaned with steel wool and it has never scratched glass. Not to mention the guy I worked for when I started cleaning Windows used both for 20 years before me and never had any issues. Steel wool has been used for over 50 years with no issues. If you scratched glass with it then there is something unique going on. We do see different types of glass and coatings coming out on the market so maybe that was the issue. You could have also had something lodged in the wool, which would be my first guess. I have used it for 20 years and I’m going to continue to do so for the next 20

1 Like

Great keep using it. I always use fresh wool so something lodged in it isnt the case. Its a surface issue. Hence the scratching.

1 Like

Every 0000 thread of steel wool has three edges and is 20 microns in thickness. So it is like a three edged micro razor. The scratches happen because of the defective glass surface. Not the wool. Just like razors. Float glass is coated on the air side cuz the tin side faces down and is known to be defective. This is true for low e and mirrors. So we end up cleaning the worst side of a mirror. The tin side. Check out my article in my blog A Glimpse of the Ghost Particle. The Glass Committee has been looking for the elusive Ghost Particle for many years now without success.

Check out this video on how steel wool is made.

Henry

6 Likes

I’m happy that you’ve never scratched Windows with 0000 steel wool.

There have been many companies on this forum that have in the past (myself included.)

I just don’t want others flying blind out in the field, research is key.

As we all see 0000 steel wool will scratch mirrors from the pic I posted.

Hope this helps someone out there.

1 Like

I completely disagree. I’m not trying to be coarse about the issue so don’t take it that way. I’m tired of hearing a few people trying to change the entire industry that has used the same methods for decades with no issues.

One of the factors that is overlooked with steel wool is rust. Rust will scratch glass. If someone uses 000 or 0000 wool and it scratches glass there are causes. The wool has picked up debris, and yes even with a brand new piece of fresh wool. You can pick up contaminants on the glass that can lodge in the wool and scratch the glass. Second would be rust in the wool. Wool rusts quickly on jobs and it is often undetected. Rust will scratch glass. Third would be a coating on the glass.

The only other argument I would make for wool scratching glass is on a microscopic level. I am not a scientist examining every piece of glass I have cleaned under a microscope other than my well trained eye. I can’t argue against anything on a microscopic non visual level and no I’m not talking about looking at the glass in the right light at an angle. I would not consider that microscopic.

And yes I will continue to use it with no issues along with the majority of the industry that have been using it for decades with no issues.

2 Likes

I would challenge the “many” companies, respectfully. I have cleaned 10’s of thousands of window panes myself, as well as many other window cleaners I know, with never a single scratch. I would challenge anyone who says they scratched the glass with it that the cause was other than the wool itself.

You might feel a conviction to warn others and my conviction is to warn others of the misinformation being out out by a “few” in the industry. Again my comments are with respect but still direct.

1 Like

Although I greatly appreciate your work and respect your knowledge I would disagree. I have willed plenty of windows, tin side or not, fabricating debris or not, for 20 years without one scratch. Again respectfully.

Sorry I meant to say that I would challenge the many companies. I just edited the post. Not sure how I missed that.

Thanks WCS. You are SO right. Research is key. Very recently I have joined the IWCA Glass Committee and have been pouring over the VERY technical research that Penn State has done. We are getting very close to a detailed explanation of why glass scratches. The problem is with the glass surface. So much effort has been put into this by Paul Duffer and Paul West. I am very excited about what the future holds.

I am also very grateful for this community that we have to exchange info.

Henry

2 Likes

Also Whatapane. You have every right to disagree with anyone. And I do respect your opinion too. I do not believe that 0000 steel wool is scratching the glass. It could be particulates caught by the wool, rust, ect. Then in a perfect storm the surface of the glass could be defective/rough such that it can be easily scratched. Guys have written about Old Castle glass being one of the most problematic surfaces out there. Some have even said cotton towels can cause scratches. Obviously it is not the towels that are scratching. Same with razors, and same with 0000 steel wool. Is this closer to what you believe?

Henry

1 Like

so on a clean a few weeks ago i cleaned the top half of a tall pane with some steel wool, and when i got down to the bottom half and looked up, i saw a ton of tiny very fine spiderweb like scratches. like the many times before i tested it. i moped only and squeegeed the bottom half and checked for those fine scratches. there were none. them i mopped up the glass again and scrubbed a spot with the wool and squeegeed it. there were a bunch of fine scratches in the place and direction i scrubbed and none to the left and right of it. that is the first time that test has failed. we scratched (very finely) about 20 panes before we saw it and put away the wool.

1 Like