"Swiping under" when fanning

I’ve seen some videos like the one below in which the window cleaner “swipes under” while fanning in an exaggerated curve. Is there any good reason to do this? To me it seems like it would just add time to the job and also set you up for a repetitive strain injury.

Dry neutral zone? Interesting technique. A new one on me, but is it necessary? …and yes the arm is doing some acrobatics.

1 Like

Agree waste of time/energy

4 Likes

There are different reasons to use that technique. One reason the you collect more water on your squeegee to help lubricate the up and over stroke.

The second reason depends on the type of squeegee you use. With Ettore Squeegees you often have to go up and over when you cut (turn your squeege) otherwise you can often leave a line off of the very corner of the blade or signature mark with the squeegee. Go under like that allows you circle over your pivot point on the upstroke.

The third reason is that as Evgilliand said it creates a larger dry neutral zone so on the upstroke you can dry the corner of the squeegee blade so you don’t leave a line with it as stated earlier.

The fourth reason is that it collects the water into a tight space at the bottom frame so when you close out you don’t have to do a side ways motion across the bottom of the glass. When you close out going across their is often more glass that is dry so it’s not as well lubricated. Doing it as shown in the video keeps you squeegee more lubricated through the entire process through to the close out.

The fifth reason is just for the heck of it. I often do it as it feels natural and fund when fanning. When your doing a hundreds of windows all day it can get monotonous. It helps to cut the monotony to play around. There’s other reasons but I will stop there.

8 Likes

I think for myself its muscle memory ,its always on the left but nothing to extreme . I don’t feel it is much of any benefit.

1 Like

I’m digging the music. Reminds me of Top Gun. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Almost every wagtail video has it as well. I thought it was just me, but there’s a strong side and a weak side to the wagtail. Strongside I can make a good turn, but weak side I end up going “under” the curve and getting it again on the strongside return.

2 Likes

So, since the Liquidator needs to be on wet glass is it correct that this technique would not be a good fit for Liquidator usage? Thanks.

1 Like

I can’t really speak for the liquidator as I don’t use it. I have one and tried it but didn’t care for it. I like the concept but it was too finicky. That said this technique can actually be used to lubricate the squeegee. When you fan under the squeegee collect excess water and gives it more lubrication for the upstroke. If you watch the video closely you will see this. Whether or jot it would work well with the liquidator I’m not sure. I would have to try it. Give it a go and let us know.

1 Like

You been reading my mind. I’m going to have a play over the next few days. I had a quick swipe on my lounge and intitial impression is ‘nah’ why bother? But never say never. No harm having a play.

1 Like

Yep. Particularly noticeable on channels over 14". The Excelerator still has it, but to a lesser degree because the pivot point is closer to the channel. I find in hand it can be negated by taking a short grip (hand as far up the handle as possible). It’s the twisting action causing uneven pressure along the length of the channel that’s the culprit.

1 Like

@WVWindowWashing this technic works good. We use it from time to time, we use it when we have a captive audience, It adds some flare! @whatapane explained the purpose pretty well.

I’ve seen @TheWindowCleanse uses this technic when he’s fanning a window. Check out his videos.

1 Like

Where are his videos to be found?

Here’s a link Mike.

Thanks for the shout out big Steve.:blush:

Funny this came up, Im planning on doing a short video on it. I use it as a small way to dry off the rubber using the glass. Add “Flick” to the move and you’re on your way.

Especially useful if you’re experiencing clip issues with ragging dry a Ninja (clips).

TBC…

1 Like

Absolutely correct, Malcolm. Liq must be treated differently and this technique does not play to Liq strengths.

3 Likes

Yeah the liquidator does not work well with dynamic rotation on the surface. It likes shallow arcs and slow, deliberate turns.

It also likes to stay on the water and if you pull it away and the blade gets a bit dry it will squeal.

1 Like

Yeah i noticed that when using the excelerator recently. I had thought that the rubber kept twisting over on itself at the tips and i thought it was because of the angled cut. Upon closer examination i realized that the rubber was actually getting stuck on dry spots and stretching out like crazy.

When watching @luke3636’s videos i always wondered why he would pole the center of the window so gradually with the blade sort of oscillating back and forth from horizontal rather than twisting the pole more and covering more surface area with a more vertical blade. He may have other reasons but I’ve noticed that if you overlap dry spots with the liquidator too vertical, it will snag.

It’s kinda like carving in snowboarding as opposed to sliding. You gotta ride the edge to turn.

2 Likes

Because I don’t use the liquidator and I have no idea what I am even doing

3 Likes

this is a technique i saw in abc videos when i first started and was shown by the guy that first taught me.
if you are going to run your sgueegee near vertical to take advantage of it’s size you need to turn the blade significantly, this can lead to overuse of your wrist and increase the likely hood of the squeegee leaving a mark.
by swinging the blade down and making a larger turn you can use your shoulder, elbow and wrist and your squeegee comes up near vertical with a dry top tip.
it is very useful when using non swivel squeegees and even more so if you are doing the side edges as you fan instead doing the sides first.
basically it can reduce boby strain and turning marks. and when exaggerated starts to look cool for passers by. :astonished:
:children_crossing:
:slight_smile:
:cactus:27

3 Likes