Tell me how to spend my money

I’m expecting a few thousand back from my taxes this year, and have been contemplating the purchase of a water fed pole system.

My business in still very new (less than 2 months old) and I haven’t got a steady stream of work yet, though with diligent door-to-door marketing I have been making enough to get by. I’m already equipped to tackle just about any job under 3 stories with traditional cleaning gear, but from what I read and hear the water fed poles really help a lot.

For you guys with experience using water fed pole systems, is 3,000 dollars gonna be enough for a good system? Will it make that much of a difference to my business when I already have plenty of trad gear? Or would I be better off tossing that money in the bank, adding to my nest egg, to live off in the slow season? As I mentioned before, this is my first year of doing business and I don’t quite know what to expect in August and September when the action in SW Florida usually sees a significant lull. Thanks in advance for all your advice and opinions.

My advice …

• Advertise

• Advertise

• Nest egg

Live lean, you got the gear to do the job.

You need “WORK”… not tools that are not needed at the moment.

9 Likes

the single best investment for me has been reach it mini and wash it pro, next will be plus a b c and connector.
you can work safer, you can use it as a marketing tool you can train staff ( monkeys) to use it in minutes to provide better quality than multi year squeegee pro’s (i know here comes the hate).
yes i said better quality.
if you don’t have a wfp you are a dinosaur and i assume you don’t have a cell phone or computer either. i know lots of guys still make money without them but that does not make it right.
are you a pro? do you offer the best quality safety, envro friendly service available if you don’t wfp you are a dinosaur and you service is behind the times. join the modern age.
i expect a commission chris/perry.

4 Likes

How about a vinyl wrap for the truck instead?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not in any particular hurry to blow some cash. Just soliciting the advice of those more experienced with self-employment. I know it takes money (AND WORK) to make money so I’m trying to get a feel for what you think a good limit is, and where you think I would be past the point of diminishing returns.

1 Like

Off the cuff…

What are your sales goals for this year?

Not knowing much about your situation I would consider putting the majority of it towards well thought out marketing.

4 Likes

This is my advice also!

My goal for this year is to do 45k gross. That will allow me to pay my nut with 65% taken for owner salary. If I can do more than that, I certainly intend to. But any extra is going right back into the business in the form of either advertising or equipment.

Plus ∞

A WFP is not a bad investment. It’s a great tool that can increase your productivity and reduce risk on the job. But you’ve gotta have the work to begin with, imho.

You also want to be careful to avoid the trap a lot of people fall into with their tax refunds and other unexpected money: “Found Money Syndrome”.

Use that money to make you more money. Right now, I think that means smart marketing. Maybe…

• letter your vehicle ($300-$500 for some pretty nice signage)
  • uniforms, like @Skipper suggested ($200-$300)
  • get some yard signs printed to post in customers’ yards ($100-$200)
  • get sharp business cards printed (<$100)
  • put together a really decent website ($100-$1,500)
    • and spend some money on Adwords to drive traffic ($100+)
  • and save what’s left over for taxes and/or winter

Spend it like you earned it- 'cause you did :wink:

5 Likes

Darn tootin’. I slaved a year with 3 restaurants’ worth of headaches for that check.

Already got myself some snazzy cards and a thousand door hangers. One really nice yard sign to post while I’m working. Uniforms are on the way. Website is mostly done, just need some professional-looking photos and maybe a bio video.

A pack of yard signs seems like a good idea, to post here and there, in medians and at intersections, and maybe nab some customers I would not normally have access too (e.g. Residents of gated communities)

Really the next step in advertising for me would be direct mail, newspaper ad, or a vehicle wrap.

This is pretty much what I was going to say. Except I’ve never had good luck with yard signs but it’s worth trying it for your area.

1. Lettering for your truck
  2. Uniforms
  3. Business cards, website, etc

How is everyone getting tax refunds as business owners? I may get some back from write-offs this year, but generally speaking, isn’t it a red flag to take a loss?

Kids

I was employed at my old job all last year so my refund is coming from that w2

Unless you are doing 3 story homes with walk out basements and weird side slopes, I would put that money towards advertising.

5 Likes

You can get a reach it mini and a .75 DI tank and some extra rhino tube for about 1,100. No need to spend 3k yet on a wfp system .

But I would put most of my money on adv and save at lest 1k for a rainy day

2 Likes

My advice would be, since this is your FIRST full time year of business, invest some of that money in marketing. You NEED a website. Every legitimate business has one. Doesn’t have to be fancy, but you need your own .com, no if ands or buts.

Then I would find an effective marketing source.

You need repeat business, more than you need a WFP other things at this point.

You also need a nice “uniform”. You want a consistent, clean look.

If you can afford more this year, THEN think about those nice extras.

Myself, I have a goal of adding a WFP by year end. Wanted it last year, but business was off more than I wanted it to be.

4 Likes

We do have some new more affordable pure water packages available:

https://shopwindowcleaner.com/water-fed-poles-systems/pure-water-packages-138.html

If you decide to spread it around :wink:

862-266-0677 - If we can help.

1 Like